• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2020 3:45 pm
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
Junk yard. Though usually a shop can clean up the corrosion and slap some bead seal on the rim to stop it from leaking.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
someone16 wrote: Junk yard. Though usually a shop can clean up the corrosion and slap some bead seal on the rim to stop it from leaking.
Thanks! That's what Costco did. I'm not sure if they put on any bead seal on it, but they said they cleaned it up. They also said that if that doesn't stop the leak, I'll need to buy new rims.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
Kijiji, probably odd to see someone selling just one rim, but you can always buy a set if the price is good enough.
I wouldn't go to US just to buy one rim for a 2005 Matrix, unless you live next to US boarder.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
I have the same problem with my 2006 Honda.

I've considered junkyard wheels, but they're going to be the same age so I'm concerned that they're just as likely to be corroded.

The other options I'm considering are: refinish these wheels, wheels from a newer Honda, or aftermarket wheels. Replacement wheels from the dealer are like $600 each.

There are also refurbished wheels.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/497/toyot ... _rims.html
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6152 upvotes
derass wrote: I have the same problem with my 2006 Honda.

I've considered junkyard wheels, but they're going to be the same age so I'm concerned that they're just as likely to be corroded.

The other options I'm considering are: refinish these wheels, wheels from a newer Honda, or aftermarket wheels. Replacement wheels from the dealer are like $600 each.

There are also refurbished wheels.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/497/toyot ... _rims.html
Thanks for the link.
If I go with a refurbished wheel, would I need to buy a set of 4 or just 1 is suffice?

I really don't want to spend so much considering that my car is almost 15 years old and it's worth $3K top. Spending like $1K on wheels makes little sense. You're also right about picking up junkyard parts for wheels as those would be about the same age as my car. The condition won't be much better than what I have now. Cost-wise, it won't be much cheaper than buying refurbished also.

It's about $120 before taxes each at a junkyard around here.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: I live about a hour away from the border.
OK and first thing is to find a OEM 2005 MatriX rim in good condition for sale that doesn't live that far from US boarder too even you are willing to drive.
Had you consider just swap the whole set of rims to give your car a fresh look?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
AsianXL wrote: Thanks for the link. ..
I forgot, there are places that can refinish your bad rim like Union Rim in North York about $160 cdn

Carcones also has some refinished rims in stock ( they take your core )