Wheels and Tires

Where to buy cheapest floor jack and torque wrench? (To change tires)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2018 7:06 am
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Cheap floor jack. Yeah we tried that and only that the first year my brother decided to change his own tires. Luckily the emergency jack was able to lift the car back up after the cheap CT job failed with the wheel off. And a good thing the car was a lease cause the BMWs only have some places for jacks and lots of under body plastic panels, one of which was damaged slightly in the incident.

You should be getting jack stands if you want to be safe than sorry. And if you want to make your wheels comes off smoothly (especially alloys) next year you need a bottle of anti-cease. Also a tire crayon to mark up which wheel is which will help with rotating your wheels.

Finally, are you use to physical labour? Even as someone who's in pretty good shape the job especially when I use to do 2 cars and moving essentially 16 wheels (wife's are ginormous) up and down stairs to and from basement storage (a major motivation to build a shed), was exhausting. So now I do my own and we pay our 3rd party garage a few bucks to do her's since again her wheels are crazy heavy and big, not worth the cost of say a back injury.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1120 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
seafish wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 10:56 pm
Princess auto regularly has sale on 1/2'' torque wrench for $25. Get it, best value IMO.
can you please provide link?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11523 posts
1438 upvotes
werty316 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:31 pm
You don't really need a floor jack. If you want to save cash just use the factory jack that came with your car or get a bottle jack.

Get yourself a deep socket (most likely 19mm) , and a 1/2 torque wrench (Princess Auto has one on sale all the time for cheap or go for Canadian Tire).
what if op drives corolla or euro car???
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3309 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
OP, can you at least tell us what type of sedan?

Different vehicle have different ground clearance, you don't want to end up getting a jack that doesn't work well for your vehicle.
Plus, if you're going to spend money to save on labour cost, it's better to get a reliable/quick lift jack the first time around.
This is not something you normally would look at replacing after a year or two, but something to use for 5+ years at the very least.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7398 posts
1250 upvotes
????
wing0 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 9:57 pm
OP, can you at least tell us what type of sedan?

Different vehicle have different ground clearance, you don't want to end up getting a jack that doesn't work well for your vehicle.
Plus, if you're going to spend money to save on labour cost, it's better to get a reliable/quick lift jack the first time around.
This is not something you normally would look at replacing after a year or two, but something to use for 5+ years at the very least.
OP has a BMW F10 5 series
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3309 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
awaisuk wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:28 pm
Where to buy cheapest floor jack and torque wrench?
Please suggestions on what I should buy as my budget is limited.
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:50 pm
OP has a BMW F10 5 series
lol...right. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7398 posts
1250 upvotes
????
wing0 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 11:06 pm
lol...right. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
awaisuk wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 10:30 pm
I have a F10 BMW and today when I went to change to Winter tires for the first time, realized that there was no tool to open the wheel nuts for the tires??!!
My mechanic said I need a BMW tool to open the wheel nuts, and it was nowhere to be found in the car.

What to do?
Cant change the facts Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1120 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a BMW F10 that I need to change the tires.

I said cheap because I am trying to justify buying the tools vs getting the tires changed at my mechanic (who already does them).

If the costs are not worth it, I will just stick with my mechanic.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5864 posts
933 upvotes
After years of calibrating torque wrenches from $30 to $500.

I would rather tighten my lug nuts with no torque wrench, than a cheap one.

If you really don't know when tight it tight, please get a decent torque wrench.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1570 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gutty96 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 12:58 pm
After years of calibrating torque wrenches from $30 to $500.

I would rather tighten my lug nuts with no torque wrench, than a cheap one.

If you really don't know when tight it tight, please get a decent torque wrench.
How much would a decent torque wrench cost you? And does it also need re-calibration every now and then?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5864 posts
933 upvotes
canoek wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 2:37 pm
How much would a decent torque wrench cost you? And does it also need re-calibration every now and then?
For lug nuts, I would want at the very least +/- 10% tolerance.

In experience calibrating wrenches nothing under $100 will stick to these tolerances very long.

The wrenches I buy for our shop ( we build hydro transformers) are house brand Snap-ons ( called CDI torque products) and I can keep them +/- 3%-4% for many years. I can get them wholesale for $180-$300 depending on size and range.

My point to this is, those $40 princess auto wrenches are not likely any more accurate than you can be by hand, as long as you understand when tight is tight.