• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2018 12:29 am
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
513 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy dumbbells in the GTA?

I am imagining shipping will be huge due to the weight, so I would need to pick it up, or is it not that bad..?

I looked at eBay and it seemed fine. But I am looking for other suggestions.
I got Fido $15/month plan.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5385 posts
1156 upvotes
Whitby
Fitness Depot....check others for who has a deal.
Kijiji is the best for weights, always decent prices in the GTA
Mar 16, 2018
58 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
Seconded Fitness Depot - they usually have the best prices for new stuff. Depending on your needs, I'm a huge fan of PowerBlocks - I have the Sport EXP's up to 70 lb's (they expand from 50 to 90) and they take up very little space for how much weight they are capable of replacing. There's usually some used Powerblocks on kijiji in the GTA.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
513 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
How about about Bowflex?

Also, kijiji seems silly - the prices there are not much cheaper than retail stores and the demand is huge (judging by "Ad views" number).
I got Fido $15/month plan.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2751 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
john5170 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 5:31 pm
How about about Bowflex?

Also, kijiji seems silly - the prices there are not much cheaper than retail stores and the demand is huge (judging by "Ad views" number).
Everyone i know who bought a bowflex uses it as a laundry drying rack.
Mar 16, 2018
58 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
john5170 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 5:31 pm
How about about Bowflex?
It's hard to think of anyone that should buy a bowflex, ever- elastic restitance from the "bows" is non-linear, so muscles are only experiencing appropriate resistance at a small part of the range of motion when you've appropraitely stretched the resistance material... This is further compounded by many common exercises only placing the muscle you want to target under useful tension at certain points (ex a shoulder press really only engages the deltoid muscles when your upper arms are perpendicular to the ground - before that point your supraspinatus is doing a lot of the work). So on a blowflex, most of the range of motion is useless and hopefully the part of the exercise that actually benefits you lines up with the "bow" stretching enough, because if it doesn't, the entire exercise is a largely a waste of time. Even for a sedentary older person that wants to start a strength training program for their health, I couldn't see how any of the Bowflex's seated exercises would build bone density on important weight bearing structures like the hip, femur, or spine.

The only product Bowflex produces that seems appropriate are their Selectech Dumbbells, but they are expensive and made out of plastic that is known to break. A high quality adjustable bench is about $110- a set of dumbells for most people could range in price from $150-$400, and a chinup bar costs $50... You've just put together a home gym for your whole body for a fraction of the cost of a Bowflex.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1807 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kijiji is all about timing and perseverance, you can't expect to get a good deal right off the bat or at all if you don't try asking. Lots of window shoppers and flakes on kijiji so your chances are better than you think. Most of my stuff I got in a single deal, a bench, a barbell and 160lbs in plates for something like $90. Added two dumbell bars from walmart for like $8 each and a easy curl bar for $25.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equipm ... nFlag=true

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)