None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1545 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy Fuji F31fd / or other camera suggestions

Interested in the Fuji F31fd but haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I prefer to buy in the US because with the exchange rate, I'll probably save some money. But I'm open to suggestions on where to buy it in the GTA as well.

Otherwise I'll have to go the Canon route. Which, for me, is a toss up between the A630/A640 (larger sensor) and the A710 (has image stabilization), I'm not sure which feature is more important/valuable.

(Obviously looking for P&S for basic day-to-day pics of family/friends plus any travelling/party shots)
30 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1545 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
goofball wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 3:16 pm
did you try B&H Photo?
Haven't heard of it, where is it located?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20460 posts
1930 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome camera, I was on a trip to Santorini with my gf and her friend. Her friend had the Fuji F31fd and was taking amazing pictures.

We had our laptop and compared with my Canon SD200 (yeah, yeah no real comparison), I was amazed how vivid the colours were on her camera compared with mine. And the pics taken in outside low light were pretty nice.

Unfortunately, she bought hers in HK.

Let me know if you find it here for a good deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1545 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 3:52 pm
Awesome camera, I was on a trip to Santorini with my gf and her friend. Her friend had the Fuji F31fd and was taking amazing pictures.

We had our laptop and compared with my Canon SD200 (yeah, yeah no real comparison), I was amazed how vivid the colours were on her camera compared with mine. And the pics taken in outside low light were pretty nice.

Unfortunately, she bought hers in HK.

Let me know if you find it here for a good deal.
hmmm....HK is another idea I didn't think of!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2219 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
anom wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 3:10 pm
Interested in the Fuji F31fd but haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I prefer to buy in the US because with the exchange rate, I'll probably save some money. But I'm open to suggestions on where to buy it in the GTA as well.

Otherwise I'll have to go the Canon route. Which, for me, is a toss up between the A630/A640 (larger sensor) and the A710 (has image stabilization), I'm not sure which feature is more important/valuable.

(Obviously looking for P&S for basic day-to-day pics of family/friends plus any travelling/party shots)
I'm sure you have heard of all these but a lot of times you can reason with them when it comes to the price depending on how old of a model you want.

www.hitcamera.com
www.adencamera.com
www.downtowncamera.com
www.henrys.com

I know there are a lot of camera places in NYC but not so much Buffalo. Not sure if you will end up saving THAT much more but if you are there anyways to visit you might as well give it a try.

I would take larger sensor over IS anyday! larger sensor = less noise. If you have a steady enough hand anything F2-F2.8 should be good enough for night. Fuji is also known for having the best noise resistance out of the big names. If you shoot a lot at night then I would suggest something with IS but for the typical user flash will be used in which case you dont really need IS. If you are planning on shooting in low light without flash then yes get IS. I am a Canon guy myself so that is what I would push all the time....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1545 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 4:24 pm
I'm sure you have heard of all these but a lot of times you can reason with them when it comes to the price depending on how old of a model you want.

www.hitcamera.com
www.adencamera.com
www.downtowncamera.com
www.henrys.com

I know there are a lot of camera places in NYC but not so much Buffalo. Not sure if you will end up saving THAT much more but if you are there anyways to visit you might as well give it a try.

I would take larger sensor over IS anyday! larger sensor = less noise. If you have a steady enough hand anything F2-F2.8 should be good enough for night. Fuji is also known for having the best noise resistance out of the big names. If you shoot a lot at night then I would suggest something with IS but for the typical user flash will be used in which case you dont really need IS. If you are planning on shooting in low light without flash then yes get IS. I am a Canon guy myself so that is what I would push all the time....
Problem is that none of those stores in Canada have the F31 (at least not on the website), that's also a reason I'm looking at the US. I'll be in Buffalo and NYC at different points neways, so seemed to make sense neways. Do you have any other store suggestions in NYC then?

I've always liked Canon's myself, but for my current purposes, seems like a huge tradeoff getting a Canon over the Fuji F31. I was thinking larger sensor too, but the Canon's with the larger sensor (A640/A630) also take 4 AA batteries, so they get kinda heavy and big.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2219 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
anom wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 4:34 pm
Problem is that none of those stores in Canada have the F31 (at least not on the website), that's also a reason I'm looking at the US. I'll be in Buffalo and NYC at different points neways, so seemed to make sense neways. Do you have any other store suggestions in NYC then?

I've always liked Canon's myself, but for my current purposes, seems like a huge tradeoff getting a Canon over the Fuji F31. I was thinking larger sensor too, but the Canon's with the larger sensor (A640/A630) also take 4 AA batteries, so they get kinda heavy and big.
sorry havent really investigated. ive been to a lot of photography events and hear people talking about NYC but never really paid much attention since i never go there. i can try to find out from my friends where they have shopped. from what i hear there is a huge price difference though.

as for the canons yes there are tradeoffs because of the AA batteries... but remember this can also be to your benefit since it does take standard AA. ive had experiences where i ran out of battery power and was on lithium ion. esp when you are on vacation or somewhere there isnt a camera store available to you. AAs can be found anywhere in the world. so yes its heavy but also good!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1545 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
ryan_lau100 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 5:08 pm
sorry havent really investigated. ive been to a lot of photography events and hear people talking about NYC but never really paid much attention since i never go there. i can try to find out from my friends where they have shopped. from what i hear there is a huge price difference though.

as for the canons yes there are tradeoffs because of the AA batteries... but remember this can also be to your benefit since it does take standard AA. ive had experiences where i ran out of battery power and was on lithium ion. esp when you are on vacation or somewhere there isnt a camera store available to you. AAs can be found anywhere in the world. so yes its heavy but also good!
well if you can find out it'd be really helpful to kinda scope it out online before I go and for comparison sake.

I guess you are right about the batteries, I figure I can always get a spare battery. But it's something to take into consideration.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2005
1023 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
any luck finding this camera in Canada? I've been looking for the past two weeks. :(
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13437 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
daftfunk wrote:
Jul 14th, 2007 8:26 am
any luck finding this camera in Canada? I've been looking for the past two weeks. :(
That F31fd is not easily found in Canada as it is an older model.

Fuji has a F40fd that is pretty decent: http://www.fujifilm.ca/x13299.xml

A good review about it (and sample images), can be found here:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/ ... ndex.shtml

It can be found at Henrys, and other stores too:
http://redflagdeals.pricecanada.com/det ... _id=481885

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2004
4205 posts
87 upvotes
anom wrote:
Jul 11th, 2007 4:34 pm
If you're looking at those Canon's, consider the Nikon P5000 also. Its a very nice well featured camera.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... 35&catid=#

[IMG]http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/pro ... 086535.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1545 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote:
Jul 14th, 2007 7:54 pm
That F31fd is not easily found in Canada as it is an older model.

Fuji has a F40fd that is pretty decent: http://www.fujifilm.ca/x13299.xml

A good review about it (and sample images), can be found here:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/ ... ndex.shtml

It can be found at Henrys, and other stores too:
http://redflagdeals.pricecanada.com/det ... _id=481885
I don't think the F31fd is hard to find in Canada because it's an older model. I don't think it is available in Canada, if you go on the Fuji Canada website the F31fd is not listed there only the F40fd is listed. With that said, I think it's much more difficult to find in Canada. Maybe places like Pacific Mall (in Toronto) will have it though.