• Jul 19th, 2015 9:34 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
813 upvotes
Calgary
dont use this stuff for too long, it is so bad for you once it gets into your bloodstream and it thins your skin.
Oct 15, 2009
57 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
We've only ever been prescribed hydrocortisone and just thought betaderm was a new alternative. Didn't know about the usage areas associated with the different types of creams, and never used hydroval or clara-tobatesol either. Spouse just uses whatever the doc prescribes. Thanks for the info aznnorth. It's good to know.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1487 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
clara-tobatesol??? Hahahaha

I think you mean Clobetasol.

So much misinformation in this thread lol.

In Ontario, 1% hydrocortisone cream is prescription only.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
dgr81 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2014 12:03 am
clara-tobatesol??? Hahahaha

I think you mean Clobetasol.

So much misinformation in this thread lol.

In Ontario, 1% hydrocortisone cream is prescription only.
Oops, meant Taro-Clobetasol 0.05%.. what it says on the tube. Brand name.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mayosandwich wrote:
Oct 30th, 2014 9:39 pm
dont use this stuff for too long, it is so bad for you once it gets into your bloodstream and it thins your skin.
Only if you use it everyday for weeks, mos. at a time does it begin to thin your skin. You're only supposed to use it when needed. ie. when you see signs of eczema - flakey, itchy skin. Even then only once a day or no. of times prescribed by the doc. On the face usually begins between the eyebrow, bridge of nose region. Some peeps have it on the head. My hair stylist was telling me he sees tons of eczema cases on the scalp during eczema season. Lucky if you shave your head bald as you can use hydro on the scalp as well. Works really well on the scalp I find... as I normally shave my head bald anyway. Clobetasol is the one you have to watch out for. 2nd strongest atopic cream/gel for eczema on the market. That really thins the skin quickly if used frequently. You can tell as your skin loses color from regular skin color to white. Once you see that happening - stop! The skin color will regenerate itself but takes a long time (weeks if not months).
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
follyfolly wrote:
Oct 30th, 2014 9:44 pm
We've only ever been prescribed hydrocortisone and just thought betaderm was a new alternative. Didn't know about the usage areas associated with the different types of creams, and never used hydroval or clara-tobatesol either. Spouse just uses whatever the doc prescribes. Thanks for the info aznnorth. It's good to know.
Different atopic creams/gels have different strengths for different purposes, different area of the body. Generally speaking, thicker skin requires stronger scripts and therefore different creams/gels. Creams dry faster whereas gels stay on much longer but gives you that long lasting oily feeling which sucks. More personal preference than anything. On the face ask for cream versions as you want it to dry fast not have the oily feeling all day long. Better to use them just before going to bed. I find that's best for me. You allow that 6-7 hrs of sleep or whatever for the medication to sink in.

Only other way is to move to a warmer climate. More moisture in air and less drying of the skin, less chance of eczema. My dermo suggested san diego, lol. Then he said you could be dealing with other issues.. like over exposure of skin to sun, sun spots, skin cancer, sun screens, etc. Cant win them all. :(
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12514 posts
1903 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My tube of cream, for mosquito bites, is from SDM and it is .5 %
De gustibus non est disputandum
Dec 12, 2005
759 posts
55 upvotes
The 905
Castor oil works well for eczema too. Of course figuring out what is causing the eczema is key, as it's really an allergic reaction, I've had it for over 30 years
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7132 posts
1666 upvotes
Get a prescription (assuming you have OHIP). I was prescribed this stuff last week and it cost me $5 at Costco with no insurance including the dispensing fee.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
jr! wrote:
Nov 1st, 2014 9:43 am
Castor oil works well for eczema too. Of course figuring out what is causing the eczema is key, as it's really an allergic reaction, I've had it for over 30 years
Problem is there is NO cure for eczema... you're just controlling the symptoms. Maintenance if you will... If you have eczema as you age it gets worse. Older you get you have less moisture on the skin which is the cause in the first place. That's why you need to moisturize your skin every day or when you feel your skin dry. The longer you leave dry skin the more likely you see eczema. Cetaphil body moisturizer or Norwegian daily moisturizer are good otc products.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11978 posts
1730 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
venkatkolla wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2014 12:36 pm
Polysporin Eczema Cream (28g) is on at London Drugs for $7.99.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Polysporin-E ... lt,pd.html

PM this at walmart s for $7.99 and use your $4 printable coupon and get your relief for $3.99. Get the coupon from http://www.healthyessentials.ca/coupons
OTC products are good IF your eczema is very minimal. That's why they are OTC and no script is needed. They dont contain the medication or certain ingredients that requires a script. If your eczema worsens (meaning OTC products fail to work) then you need to see your dermo and prescribe stronger atopic creams or gels like aforementioned hydro, hydroval, betaderm or clobetasol for extreme cases.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jr! wrote:
Nov 1st, 2014 9:43 am
Everything can be dictated as an allergic reaction since itching or inflammation is usually caused by histamines, but from personal experience with eczema sometimes there are no 'known' contribution factors other than things such as dry air. Hydrocortisone creams can cause skin problems with prolonged use. A better alternative after the eczema inflammation has receded would be to apply some form of moisturizer such as vaseline or oil, even baby powder works wonders for this scenario.