Personal Finance

Where to buy Indian rupees as soon as possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2010 8:44 pm
Oct 18, 2006
405 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy Indian rupees as soon as possible?

In a minor oversight, I forgot to order Indian rupees for my trip leaving next Tuesday.

The banks have told me it takes 4-5 days to order it, so what's my next best option for the best exchange rates?

I'm only changing a few hundred Cad dollars and I'm in Toronto.

Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3726 posts
222 upvotes
you can not buy in Canada. buy at the airport on arrival.

added at least i thought you could not....
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1459 posts
167 upvotes
Just buy in India.

If you have 0 Indian rupees...convert a few dollars at the Indian airport as it is not the best rate.

Then find another currency exchange place locally in India to exchange the rest. You might have to call around after reading the newspaper or something or get info from your relatives to get the best rates.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15758 posts
1245 upvotes
GTA West
There is a place called "the coin shoppe" in Mississauga that advertises 60 currencies in stock. link

There's probably other places like this around the GTA.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jan 26, 2004
183 posts
29 upvotes
Georgetown
I have used Shere-e-Punjab Foreign Exchange - its near Airport and Derry in Mississauga. May be you can search online for their contact info. i dont have it handy.

goodluck
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
930 upvotes
If I were you I would just look up the nearest Plus / Maestro ATM to the airport (there is likely one IN the airport in India anyway), and withdraw cash there directly from my bank.

You'll for sure get a better rate doing that than at an Airport forex place.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5670 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
lillilland wrote:
Nov 18th, 2010 12:05 pm
In a minor oversight, I forgot to order Indian rupees for my trip leaving next Tuesday.

The banks have told me it takes 4-5 days to order it, so what's my next best option for the best exchange rates?

I'm only changing a few hundred Cad dollars and I'm in Toronto.

Thanks in advance.

The day you depart, send yourself the money via Western Union. Make sure to take your passport and Driver's Licence to verify your name and address. That is all!!!!!

This is what I used to do before I opened up my State Bank of India Account in Chandigarh.

sk
[OP]
Oct 18, 2006
405 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone.

Turned out the BMO at First Canadian Place (100 King St West) sells them, although at a poor rate of 37 Rupees per $1 Cad.

I bought a bit, enough to ensure I have sufficient to get to the hotel in case they forget to show up to get me and the FX at airport arrival is closed since I'm arriving really late at night.

Thanks!
× < >