• Jan 13th, 2019 1:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 5, 2017
580 posts
56 upvotes
Guelph, Ont

Where to buy jackfruit

Im looking for a grocery store that sells canned jackfruit. i havent seen it anywhere. anyone know where to buy it?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Chinese and Indian grocers, if any in your area? Some fresh Thai jackfruit on sale in B.C.but they've been harvested too immatre and are not very good. Looking forward to eating my fill in SE Asia later in the spring, if it's in season.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22100 posts
7137 upvotes
Toronto
You can even buy this frozen as well in Asian supermarkets.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ji2o0k wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:57 am
TnT has fresh jackfruit all cut up etc....

Pretty decent
Probably from the same source that RCSS gets theirs from. As I said, pretty insipid compared to ripe fruit.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
22100 posts
7137 upvotes
Toronto
$1.99 (250 g) frozen one at c & c supermarket this week on sale
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3654 posts
1375 upvotes
Seasons supermarket chain has fresh uncut and cut jackfruit for around 88-99cents per pound when it's on sale. It's going to be a minimum of 14 pounds per jackfruit though.
May 28, 2012
9969 posts
2111 upvotes
Saskatoon
Check the RCSS online in your city, when I do a search for jackfruit, it comes up with two products...Young Green Jackfruit in brine ($1.68 each or 4/$6) and Jackfruit in Syrup ($2.48 each or 2/$4.56).

Is fresh jackfruit grown and ripened in local conditions very good? I've never developed a taste for the canned stuff.
Oct 23, 2017
531 posts
273 upvotes
GTA West
brandonly wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:34 pm
Im looking for a grocery store that sells canned jackfruit. i havent seen it anywhere. anyone know where to buy it?
ANY of the big Asian stores - T&T, Terra, Nations, Oceans etc. Try a fresh one as well. The Mexican ones seem best in the March - June time period, and drop to as low as 99 cents a pound. But these are BIG and may set you back $20 - $30 for a whole one. You can roast the seeds like chestnuts. We freeze some of the fruit as well. Picking one is like choosing a pineapple though - you can never be sure how ripe it is inside. But they are heavenly when you get a perfect one.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Mars2012 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:34 pm
Is fresh jackfruit grown and ripened in local conditions very good?
Excellent. I bought some 1 1/2 years ago in Bangkok. It was o.k. but not great. My wife hated it. Similar to the stuff here, somewhat dry, no sweetness, taste or tanginess. We then drove around Malaysia and drove on this highway where there were a lot of weird skins hung by roadside stalls. It turned out to be the innards of a jack fruit used by the locals (a non-Malay indigenous people called orang asli. We bought some and she loved it. Juicy, succulent, tasty. Regretted not buying more. We bought some after we came back and it was the insipid Thai stuff. We'll wait for the good, ripe stuff.