• Apr 9th, 2010 5:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
117 posts
2 upvotes

Where to buy kite?

I don't recall I saw kites selling at Toys'rus or Walmart. Does anyone know stores that sell kites?

Thanks.
16 replies
Jun 27, 2004
813 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener
homeless06 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 12:59 pm
I don't recall I saw kites selling at Toys'rus or Walmart. Does anyone know stores that sell kites?

Thanks.
We have a bunch of 'em - for cheap, try the dollar store; we have a couple of 75 cent kites, that are relatively crappy, but a 3 year old doesn't really care! They also work quite well in low wind because they are so light.

You can sometimes grab neat 3d ones at Costco - we have a cool dragon with a huge tail, but it requies some good wind to stay up.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
117 posts
2 upvotes
Ah, didn't think of Dollar store, will check out Dollarama tomorrow.

What price range are the 3D kites at Costco?

Thanks again!
Mar 15, 2004
896 posts
129 upvotes
Saw some kites at Zellers but didn't pay attention to them. So, I don't know about the price or style. I bought a 3D kite (very big) as a gift from Costco 3 yrs ago for about $12-15.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Kites at walmart, dollar store, etc will be cheap and will not fly. You need to go to a place like Master Mind to get a good quality kite that will not frustrate you and will actually fly.
Jun 28, 2008
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Shoppers Drug Mart carried a variety of kites last year for $20. Not sure if they have them this year though.
Jun 27, 2004
813 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener
homeless06 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2010 3:56 am
Ah, didn't think of Dollar store, will check out Dollarama tomorrow.

What price range are the 3D kites at Costco?

Thanks again!
I think it was $19.99, but it may have been cheaper; I seem to recall thinking it was pretty cheap compared to others of similar size...
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
117 posts
2 upvotes
I'll check out those stores and buy the one that I think will fly. Won't spend too much on something too fancy in 3D shape, just something looks simple nice and flies good. Not sure where Master Mind store is.

Thanks!
Oct 15, 2001
908 posts
16 upvotes
D-Roc wrote:
Apr 4th, 2010 2:37 pm
Kites at walmart, dollar store, etc will be cheap and will not fly. You need to go to a place like Master Mind to get a good quality kite that will not frustrate you and will actually fly.
:?: , my kites from dollar store always fly. ;)
laptop-tech wrote:
Dec 12th, 2008 11:53 pm
On boxing day everything will be free.
Jun 27, 2004
813 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener
getmail99 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2010 2:56 am
:?: , my kites from dollar store always fly. ;)
+1 Dollar store kites are much easier to fly in low wind conditions, and are great for young kids! The more expensive ones are eye candy for adults (and, yes I have some!), or for older kids...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
3806 posts
23 upvotes
Toys R Us and Walmart has lots of kits, and varying price & sizes. Just ask staff (Walmart Toy section, Toys R Us Cash Register area).

I do agree, especially if you have several kids, go to your dollar store like Dollarama. Kits there feature outdated characters like Strawberry Shortcake or Yu Gi Yo stuff but kids don't care once it's up in the air.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2006
117 posts
2 upvotes
I went to Dollarama today and got 2 kites, Toy Stories and multiple color one. There is the lightning McQueen race car one but I didn't get this one. So will try them out on a nice sunny weekend to see if they fly. If not, no big deal just $2.75 in total and will look for better ones at some other stores.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4661 posts
80 upvotes
Oakville
If you're more serious into kite flying. Look into the events of the Toronto Kite Fliers.

Also contact www.blueskykites.ca. They're the only kite retailer (online) in the GTA that sells "real" kites, not toy store cheapies.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2003
1043 posts
1 upvote
I bought a kite at Costco yesterday for $12.99. They had ones that looked like airplane, dragon, box kite, toy story theme etc.

When I opened it up, it looks pretty well made - nylon wing surface, fiberglass rods and a very functional spool for holding and winding up the line.

After wasting money on Dollorama kites last year (one stiff wind or fall to the ground and the rods broke), I think this is money well spent.
Mar 15, 2004
896 posts
129 upvotes
Zellers has kites at 25% this coming week (in the flyer).
× < >