• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2012 10:23 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 1, 2011
42 posts
3 upvotes

where to buy land for house

im interested to buy land to build a house but have a hard time finding land in the gta. Does anybody know where i should look
8 replies
Nov 26, 2009
43 posts
There's some nice 2 acre lots up near HWY50 and HWY9 ... looking at $300,000 to start. Very beautiful homes up in the rolling hills there.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2010 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
Plot to build 2300 sqft coming up in Markham... price around 250K.. 40 x 110 (will have to verify location, not with me at moment...)

Near Pacific Mall...
Jay Rana | 🌱 the vegan realtor
Broker, CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
Apr 1, 2011
42 posts
3 upvotes
this sounds really expensive just for the land, here let me clarify what i want to do. I want to buy land to build one house for myself, so all im looking for is about 1,000 sq ft of land or so. Then i want to build the house by myself and some guys i know who are subcontractors. Are you guys including the build cost with the land on your posts because im only looking for land
Jan 11, 2012
157 posts
9 upvotes
Oshawa
hill90 wrote: this sounds really expensive just for the land, here let me clarify what i want to do. I want to buy land to build one house for myself, so all im looking for is about 1,000 sq ft of land or so. Then i want to build the house by myself and some guys i know who are subcontractors. Are you guys including the build cost with the land on your posts because im only looking for land
I think you will be surprised at the cost of land. I don't see WHERE you are looking to purchase the land. That may help.

FYI, a good place to start getting info on building a house on vacant land (or even demolishing a home to build) is your municipality. There are a bunch of restrictions such as size of house that can be put on land (% coverage), type of house that can be build (bungalow.2 storey/ duplex etc).
If the land has never had a house on it there are development charges to take into consideration when costing new construction.
Old accountants don't die, they just lose their balance.
Any advice provided here is worth exactly what you have paid for it.
Apr 6, 2007
506 posts
60 upvotes
What can you build on 1000 sq ft of land? Typo? 1000 sq feet is a small house, let alone a yard. Not to be rude, but my driveway is over a 1000 sq. feet and I have pretty modest home.

Obviously location is everything and zoning for use is important, but I've seen residential lots in Ontario for $15/sq. foot and up; much (much, much) higher as you get towards Toronto.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
You are going to quickly discover the land prices in the GTA and don't forget to get your construction financing requirements all lined up as well. It is not a straight forward process like buying a turnkey home.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2010 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
Yes, above are land costs only.

For building costs - something decent quality will cost you approximately $130 - $150 per square foot - obviously if you use more higher end materials/finishings that cost will go up.

This does not include costs for permits, surveys, soil tests (where required) etc.
Jay Rana | 🌱 the vegan realtor
Broker, CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
May 4, 2007
151 posts
41 upvotes
If you think that is expensive come to Vancouver. A 33 x 125 lot on the eastside would be $700,000. Possibly double on west side

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)