• Oct 27th, 2017 3:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
2373 posts
57 upvotes

Where to buy Lock Picking set?

Anyone know where I can pick one of these up in an Ontario store?
17 replies
Jul 10, 2007
802 posts
12 upvotes
I was a Locksmith for a while but sure wouldn't sell mine to anyone.

/It's bad enough you can get those bolt cutters everywhere :razz:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1078 posts
663 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Have you tried "Crooks 'R' Us" ??
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2006
5231 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
It is illegal if you get caught with a lock pick (set) in Ontario if you don't have a lock smith license. Yes I tried to get a set when I was a few years younger - Got my hands on some but someone told me its like a 500 dollar fine / com service. Ebay is your best bet.
Sep 5, 2007
762 posts
45 upvotes
yup it's illegal to buy them here in ontario, i bought mine from a american website and it was delivered to me with no probs crossing the border.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10963 posts
791 upvotes
Scarborough
i need to get through my lock at school. I bought one of those cheap locks and the key goes in 'sometimes' and when it does, it won't turn.

i was thinking of getting a lock picking thing, but guess thats out of the question, but i will break that lock.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
2373 posts
57 upvotes
what! its illegal!? hrmmm, I guess I should do more research next time haha, sorry. Should I edit this thread?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
jwei wrote: what! its illegal!? hrmmm, I guess I should do more research next time haha, sorry. Should I edit this thread?
Possession is not illegal, it's only illegal if you were caught with the "intent" of performing an act of a burglary. Also, the section in the Criminal Code applies to any tools you are caught with including screwdrivers, vice grips, bolt cutters, etc. The cited case involves a person charged with "possession" after screwdrivers and vice grips were found in his car during a traffic stop:

http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/1988/1 ... 1-914.html

309.(1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies upon him, has in his possession any instrument suitable for house‑breaking, vault‑breaking or safe‑breaking, under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instrument has been used or is or was intended to be used for house‑breaking, vault‑breaking or safe‑breaking, is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for (up to) fourteen years.

....it was incumbent upon the Crown to prove: (a) possession by the accused of the instruments specified in the indictment; (b) that they were suitable for the purpose of housebreaking, safe‑breaking or vault‑breaking; (c) that such instruments were found under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instruments were intended to be used for housebreaking, safe‑breaking or vault‑breaking.
Feb 11, 2004
791 posts
8 upvotes
Peterborough
l69norm wrote: Possession is not illegal, it's only illegal if you were caught with the "intent" of performing an act of a burglary. Also, the section in the Criminal Code applies to any tools you are caught with including screwdrivers, vice grips, bolt cutters, etc. The cited case involves a person charged with "possession" after screwdrivers and vice grips were found in his car during a traffic stop:

http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/1988/1 ... 1-914.html

309.(1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies upon him, has in his possession any instrument suitable for house‑breaking, vault‑breaking or safe‑breaking, under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instrument has been used or is or was intended to be used for house‑breaking, vault‑breaking or safe‑breaking, is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for (up to) fourteen years.

....it was incumbent upon the Crown to prove: (a) possession by the accused of the instruments specified in the indictment; (b) that they were suitable for the purpose of housebreaking, safe‑breaking or vault‑breaking; (c) that such instruments were found under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the instruments were intended to be used for housebreaking, safe‑breaking or vault‑breaking.
You should be ok getting a set. Just don't carry them with you if you happen to be sneaking around at night :)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
48 upvotes
thechampion116 wrote: i need to get through my lock at school. I bought one of those cheap locks and the key goes in 'sometimes' and when it does, it won't turn.

i was thinking of getting a lock picking thing, but guess thats out of the question, but i will break that lock.
What you should do is get some lubricate (like WD-40 or such) and spray it in there. Everything will come loose and the key goes in smoothly.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
CRXGSR wrote: What you should do is get some lubricate (like WD-40 or such) and spray it in there. Everything will come loose and the key goes in smoothly.
WD40 will work to open the lock once, but it also speeds up oxidation meaning that the lock will completely seize if you spray that stuff in there. WD40 actually cuts grease too, so not only will it speed up oxidation but it will remove any internal protection that might still be there.

3in1 or LPS would be the way to go for a long term lubricant.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Aug 28, 2015
1 posts
Thank you Basooka for this post

Update from the future. If it's illegal to buy or sell a lock pick set in Ontario in 2015 you can buy it online at Amazon and other Canadian web stores.

It's kind dumb. Only criminals and locksmiths were allowed Lock picks.
Jan 13, 2016
1 posts
East York, ON
Not illegal to buy lock picks in Ontario. You can purchase them directly from Sparrows or Lock Pick Canada. Check out their websites.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
4081 posts
7026 upvotes
GTA North
According to the OP in recent years Quebec started to licence locksmiths.

https://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6347

Now AFAIK as of Aug/2016 in Ontario you do not need a licence to own a lockpicking set. However be smart with when and where you carry it. I read somewhere a day or two ago that if you do keep it in the car during winter time with your emergency winter car kit (gloves, scarf, balaclava, etc) it can cause you some problems as the onus is on you to prove you are not using them for B&E.

If you own a set keep it at home for emergencies or if you are interested in locksporting. In my case we can not find the keys to the door locks to our bedrooms that my parents installed locks decades ago. My dad and I searched bthe house up and down and could not find the keys. His declining memory is not helping a lot and and having a relative with mental health issues complicates things a lot when she decided to in an episode lock all the doors upstairs.

Thankfully I was able to find my own room key a year ago when my room door was locked by her but only after I spent about 3.5hrs watching YouTube videos then searching the house for large paperclips to make my own lockpicking set. Took me an untrained with no prior knowledge of how to pick a door lock about 1.5-2.0hrs of frustrating attempts and hand /leg cramping before I successfully managed to open my bedroom door. It wasn't till a few days later while sorting out some stuff did I find my bedroom key. IIRC I did look into calling a locksmith but stopped short because I think I was qouted like $100 to unlock the door and it was not urgent but it still sucked to have the door locked.

Just a day ago all the doors got locked when a relative of mine had an episode and that was when I thought of really getting a lockpicking set as a backup as my dad was searching for the spare keys and then was thinking everything was in his bedroom. Anyways this time around it took about 45mins per lock to open the doors. Problem is my dad does not know how to use lockpicking and with early stage dementia is hard to teach him if he forgets. I have seen lockpicking guns before and I think that is a good backup for him and easy to use if/when we find the keys. The house is a mess and dealing with an taking care of both of them makes it difficult and stressful to find stuff.

To the OP IIRC you can also check out www.DX.com . IIRC they sell lockpicks. Never bought picks from them before as I only bought LEDs from them for projects.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Mar 1, 2016
165 posts
97 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Updating this thread... found a set on banggood.com today for $8.66 (57% off) and free shipping. I'm not expecting great quality but for the price this should make a great stocking stuffer and entry level kit: https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-Transpar ... mds=search

As for the legalities of ownership... I had no idea it was even a concern until I started googling around. I'll be sure to keep this set in my home only.
RFD Effect: Fido 20GB $39 ➡ ThinkPad E570 i7-7500U $651.20 ➡ Seiko 5 Men's Automatic $56.33 ➡ Brother DCP-L2520DW $79.99 ➡ Walls Cotton Duck Jacket $17.27 ➡ Black&Decker 20V Drill+Impact $37.25 ➡ Outdoor Research Men's Snowcrew Jacket $107.50
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
jimmyjamez wrote: yup it's illegal to buy them here in ontario, i bought mine from a american website and it was delivered to me with no probs crossing the border.
I know it's illegal.
I did the illegal act.
I got my phone number in the signature.
OPA!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)