Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
27692 posts
6788 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy magnets in Toronto?

I'm looking for a place (either b&m or online) that sells a decent selection of magnets of various sizes and strengths. I found this place but i haven't looked into the shipping costs (and potential taxes) http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp

The reason I'm looking for magnets is because the visor in my car is flopping down to my annoyance. I figured if I could attach a decent magnet it would hold it securely when not in use. anyone have better ideas and/or the right type of glue I should use to attach the magnet to the mousefur cloth used on the ceiling and visor liner?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1227 upvotes
Sauga
Maybe you could find a good condition replacement visor at http://car-part.com/ and just replace the thing? Or maybe it's just a clip that needs to be replaced? It depends on what's causing it to flop down so much.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
27692 posts
6788 upvotes
Toronto
Rehan wrote:
Jul 28th, 2012 2:53 pm
Maybe you could find a good condition replacement visor at http://car-part.com/ and just replace the thing? Or maybe it's just a clip that needs to be replaced? It depends on what's causing it to flop down so much.
Well there's that, the problem is I have no idea how to pop out the old one and pop in the new visor. The visor is attached by a ball joint near the A-pillar and it's flopping at that point. Even when clipped in, it drops down 1-1.5" off the ceiling. when I asked Toyota they gave me a ridiculous price (something like $100+ for the part alone).

any idea what a visor is called? i don't see it listed on that site.

edit: ack, I guess $100 is just about right:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-2009- ... 1f&vxp=mtr
See that arm on the left side? That's where it seems to have lost the tightness in the joint.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1554 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
I found a guy thru ebay a couple years back. He lived south of Sherway Gardens and ran a magnet shop out of his basement. Better than average prices and wide selection. Sorry that I can't recall his info, maybe search ebay.ca by location to find him and get in contact that way.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16277 posts
8604 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Instead of buying magnets, how about trying some of the following?
1. Grab a couple of fridge magnets off the fridge door. If they're strong enough then perhaps you can glue them onto the appropriate places on the visor and car.
2. Velcro might work. Considering that the visor is covered in "mousefur" perhaps just a piece of "hooks" will be enough to do the job.
3. Is it possible to tighten the "socket" on which the visor swivels? You may have to remove the socket assembly to see if there's any adjustment or opportunity to add a shim, etc.
4. Magnets are often used as latches to hold doors in position on furniture, kitchen cabinets, AV cabinets, etc. Perhaps you have some that you're not using. Perhaps you've seen such furniture set out for trash. Worst case you may have to buy a magnetic latch at a hardware store.
5. Likewise if you see an old fridge set out for trash pickup, there's a magnetic strip around the door that acts as a seal. All you need is an inch or two.
Etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 5, 2007
879 posts
139 upvotes
I have the same problem on my Sedona, on the passenger side. I thought about the same thing you're doing (velcro was my first idea after seeing a replacement would cost $150 or so), but then I just flipped the visor backwards. By that, I mean that the mirror part that is usually against the ceiling now faces the floor and I just push the visor against its clip (nothing forceful, just push it against it) and it holds itself against the ceiling perfectly. I don't even notice it anymore.

Efstonscience (escience.ca) at 3350 Dufferin in North York sells a bunch of different magnets, both online and in-store.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1818 posts
456 upvotes
Hometown
Auto recycler doesn't carry what is needed to replace what is broken? Most of them will also sell you the clips and explain how to install trim in my area anyhow. I have always bought all my damaged trim pieces from the "junkyard". Never been unable to eventually find what I needed going that route.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1227 upvotes
Sauga
Canuck2fan wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 3:56 pm
Auto recycler doesn't carry what is needed to replace what is broken? Most of them will also sell you the clips and explain how to install trim in my area anyhow. I have always bought all my damaged trim pieces from the "junkyard". Never been unable to eventually find what I needed going that route.
What I learned after a bit of googling: The problem in this case is that the visor has a design flaw (which Toyota addressed with a TSB, in the US at least), and if you get a used one then you may spend $50+ just to get another with the flaw. The eBay listing even mentions "new improved design", so at least that would not be an issue there.

MrDisco, try this DIY solution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvPxParKy9w ... If it's not exactly the issue you're having, maybe it'll still offer some insight.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
27692 posts
6788 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 7:06 am
2. Velcro might work. Considering that the visor is covered in "mousefur" perhaps just a piece of "hooks" will be enough to do the job.
Velcro was my first idea but i tossed it as being too ghetto :P. And I would have hated hearing the tearing the sound each time I decide to use the visor. I figured magnets would be a little more elegant.
3. Is it possible to tighten the "socket" on which the visor swivels? You may have to remove the socket assembly to see if there's any adjustment or opportunity to add a shim, etc.
Not that I can see. The floppiness appears to be from within the visor itself.
MikeyMadness wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 12:46 pm
Efstonscience (escience.ca) at 3350 Dufferin in North York sells a bunch of different magnets, both online and in-store.
Thanks i'll google them.
Rehan wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 4:06 pm
What I learned after a bit of googling: The problem in this case is that the visor has a design flaw (which Toyota addressed with a TSB, in the US at least)
Yes I found the TSB, the 'improved' visors, and that same youtube video as well. Unfortunately even with my extended warranty they won't cover replacement of this part (i'm seriously questioning just what this warranty does cover as my seats also have an issue which they won't repair).

I can probably pop the cover easy enough. It's removing the hinge from the roof clips which has me leery as these plastic bits seem to just break far too easily.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
27692 posts
6788 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck2fan wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 3:56 pm
I've never dealt with a recycler/junkyward before. I wouldn't even know where to find one in Toronto.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16277 posts
8604 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
One more random thought: Instead of mounting the magnet and steel plate on the outside of the visor, see if you can make a small slit in the "mousefur", then slide the magnet through the slit under the fur. Secure it with crazy glue. Do the same on the other side with the mating steel plate. If you can do this it will make for a nearly invisible installation.

<RANT>
As for TSBs this isn't the first time that Toyota Canada refuses to fix an issue that's been addressed in a Toyota US TSB. I had at least two similar situations with my Camry. It was due to Toyota Canada's arrogance over TSB-able issues, as well as their utter inflexibility in dealing with other (lack of) quality issues that convinced me to never buy a Toyota again. Now after two Hondas and a Subaru, I'm even more convinced that was the smartest car-buying decision I've ever made. Toyota Canada's management can burn in hell (right beside their Bhell and Robbers counterparts.)
</RANT>
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
27692 posts
6788 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Jul 29th, 2012 10:18 pm
One more random thought: Instead of mounting the magnet and steel plate on the outside of the visor, see if you can make a small slit in the "mousefur", then slide the magnet through the slit under the fur. Secure it with crazy glue. Do the same on the other side with the mating steel plate. If you can do this it will make for a nearly invisible installation.
I was thinking of that as well! My biggest concern was figuring out how to stitch up the slit afterwards.

At any rate I just ripped the visor out and am going to order a new one off of eBay. I still want magnets though for other projects.
their utter inflexibility in dealing with other (lack of) quality issues that convinced me to never buy a Toyota again. Now after two Hondas and a Subaru, I'm even more convinced that was the smartest car-buying decision I've ever made.
I have to agree with you. I have a lot of build quality issues, none of them fixed (or reasonably fixable). My next vehicle purchase is placing Toyota at the bottom of the list if only b/c I can't justify giving them money after my experience.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2968 posts
354 upvotes
Ottawa
DealExtreme has a pretty nice selection of magnets. As is the case with everything there, the prices are great, but the shipping times are not.

These flat rare-earth magnets are also known to be somewhat fragile.
Jul 27, 2009
743 posts
219 upvotes
toronto
OK. This is right up my alley. The best magnets you will ever get are free. From a old hard drive. trust me. the reader magnet are rare earth--super strong. UNBELIEVABLE. Strong. Cant get them off the fridge strong.. Go to home depot and use GOOP. (purple tube) A little pricey ($8 i think) but i always have a tube in the house. Works for everything. Careful with goop--is runny, can drip. but sticks to anything.

Enjoy