Tags:
None
Dec 21, 2010
73 posts
22 upvotes
Edmonton
iddqd85 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 7:17 pm
Really? Honda's powerplant is better then mercedes in every way!
In daily consumer off the shelf cars. Maybe but not in every which way (im still mulling it over cause i never considered the comparison until now). In f1 racing. Not a chance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7937 posts
4131 upvotes
ON
BeaverLiquor wrote:
May 31st, 2016 6:49 pm

My filter is underneath my car and I have a Fumoto but I still use an extractor for the oil.
You could have burned that $50 and it would have been better for your car than putting a fumoto but not using it.

Going under to drain the oil gives you a chance to grease ball joints and other chassis part and also do a visual inspection for leaks and other issues that might arise between oil changes. If you cannot see the benefit of doing this then maybe you shouldn't bother with doing oil changes yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5431 posts
2543 upvotes
Winnipeg
can I use it to extract coolant? I guess not...
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2059 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jkimchi wrote:
May 31st, 2016 7:29 pm
In daily consumer off the shelf cars. Maybe but not in every which way (im still mulling it over cause i never considered the comparison until now). In f1 racing. Not a chance.
Does mercedes have vtec? Didn't think so.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1492 posts
480 upvotes
Calgary
iddqd85 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2016 1:45 am
Does mercedes have vtec? Didn't think so.
Can't tell if serious...
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12753 posts
12832 upvotes
Oakville
Asker123 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 10:37 am
Dipstick hole is too small.. So the tube that you put in wont suck any particle ( debris or gunk) in oil bigger than that size... Although less chances of that happening if you change your oil regularly but why take chance.. why not just drain and get everything out?
If you have chunks in your oil that won't fit through your dipstick tube then you have massive engine problems that will need much more than an oil change to fix. The only way you get chucks in your oil is if your bearings are falling apart or if you have changed your oil in 80k+ KM. In the latter case, if your engine still runs, you'd need to take off your valve cover and oil pan to clean out the caked on oil.
slomo wrote:
May 31st, 2016 10:51 am
Do the right thing, OP. Don't be cheap or lazy, change the oil the way it is prescribed by the manufacturer.

Not only is sucking the oil out of the dipstick pipe not the correct way to change the oil for your car, sucking it out means some will be left behind, trapped in the filter. You also would have to change the filter and the easiest way to do this is by getting under the car.
It's pretty well proven that evacuating through the dipstick removes as much, if not more than the drain plug. You'd obviously still change your oil filter to that's bunk. In fact, if you have a top mounted oil filter and/or cooler you can extract much more oil than just using the drain plug.

It has the extra benefit of being much cleaner to do. No worries of spilling oil while removing the drain plug, or getting dirty/burned.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1518 posts
1196 upvotes
Even if you can extract oil from the top, you still have to lift the car anyway to do a proper inspection. Drive-line fluids, steering, suspension, brake checks, etc. Some drain plugs have magnets which you may want to check.
[OP]
Oct 18, 2013
594 posts
184 upvotes
Brampton
hhahahaha, what is going on. a simple question turned into a debate, i love rfd.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1595 posts
262 upvotes
jkimchi wrote:
May 31st, 2016 7:29 pm
Its obvious that we are talking consumer cars only. Dont think RFDers are driving f1 Racing cars made by Mercedes.
Honda Accord will beat any low end Mercedes any day in all the parameters... excluding luxury... I think the low end Mercedes buyer buy them just for the brand and they end up paying hefty money upfront and 1000s in repair bills for premature failures...
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2059 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
billford wrote:
Jun 1st, 2016 2:16 am
Even if you can extract oil from the top, you still have to lift the car anyway to do a proper inspection. Drive-line fluids, steering, suspension, brake checks, etc. Some drain plugs have magnets which you may want to check.
People on RFD somehow think they are getting screwed when mechanics inspect their car for free and find faults with it.