Food & Drink

where to buy Polish or Italian sausages similar to the ones street vendors sell?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2016 7:19 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 3, 2005
957 posts

where to buy Polish or Italian sausages similar to the ones street vendors sell?

anyone know where I could buy sausages that tastes like the ones from hot dog vendors in Toronto? I know they all make their own, but there has to be a marketplace that sells sausages that tastes similar.
78 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1429 upvotes
Pickering
gamovafan wrote:anyone know where I could buy sausages that tastes like the ones from hot dog vendors in Toronto? I know they all make their own, but there has to be a marketplace that sells sausages that tastes similar.
They don't all make their own. I ran across an Italian guy thet used to be in front of Union Station who slipped me a homemade job, it was way stronger in the flavour department (lots of fennel). I went to college with a guy that operated a cart and he would tell me nothing, not even when I was twisting his arm. Good luck.
Jr. Member
Jul 7, 2001
142 posts
2 upvotes
gamovafan wrote:anyone know where I could buy sausages that tastes like the ones from hot dog vendors in Toronto? I know they all make their own, but there has to be a marketplace that sells sausages that tastes similar.
There's a hotdog vendor wholesaler on Richmond just east of Church (on the south side).. they're the exact sausages that many vendors use. I bought some Italian sausages, and I think it was $18 for 20 or in that ballpark.. that's the minimum you can buy. It's open to the public.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 3, 2005
957 posts
othermike wrote:There's a hotdog vendor wholesaler on Richmond just east of Church (on the south side).. they're the exact sausages that many vendors use. I bought some Italian sausages, and I think it was $18 for 20 or in that ballpark.. that's the minimum you can buy. It's open to the public.
Thank you! Do you have the name or complete address? If I could find it I'll buy like 50 and store it in the freezer!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4919 posts
849 upvotes
European Quality Meats & Sausages

16 Jutland Road, Toronto, Ontario, M8Z2G9
[416] 251.6193

Since 1959 European Meats has provided it's customers with some of the freshest, highest quality meat products available anywhere! Take a number for your turn, the prices and quality of the meat makes it all worthwhile. Whether you are buying beef, fresh chicken, pork, world famous sausages, veal or deli products (made fresh on the premises) prices are always competitive with lots of selection. Visit their outlets on 16 Jutland Rd., or 176 Baldwin Street in Kensington Market. Hours: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Thursday and Friday to 7 p.m., closed Sunday.

They supply many of the hot dog carts and small restaurants in Toronto.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
vendor sausages pwn.. i love the HOT italian ones
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2004
2540 posts
74 upvotes
Peterborough
Any good deli will have a variety of sausages. Weisswurst, Knackwurst, Wieners, Italian, Polish, etc. Best bet is a German/Polish/Dutch/Russian place. There's a good sized place on the north side of Steeles, just east of Keele. Good selection. There's a place in Brampton called the Kielbassa (?) Factory. Also pretty good.
Member
User avatar
May 28, 2004
444 posts
57 upvotes
plymouthhater wrote:European Quality Meats & Sausages

16 Jutland Road, Toronto, Ontario, M8Z2G9
[416] 251.6193

Since 1959 European Meats has provided it's customers with some of the freshest, highest quality meat products available anywhere! Take a number for your turn, the prices and quality of the meat makes it all worthwhile. Whether you are buying beef, fresh chicken, pork, world famous sausages, veal or deli products (made fresh on the premises) prices are always competitive with lots of selection. Visit their outlets on 16 Jutland Rd., or 176 Baldwin Street in Kensington Market. Hours: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., Thursday and Friday to 7 p.m., closed Sunday.

They supply many of the hot dog carts and small restaurants in Toronto.
I would go to European Meats....just remember to take a number upon entering the store
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1133 posts
6 upvotes
North Vancouver
Anywhere, but the cafe @ Costco - those Italian Sausage bun things were the worst thing I ever tasted.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3301 posts
141 upvotes
You can even see the hotdog cart signs in a special back section if you look carefully. Most of the sausages Bratwurst, Knackwurst, Wieners, Italian, Polish and Debrizinies are available by the pound for $1.99 (2-3 make a pound).

Grab a number and wait for your turn... They also have a fast food counter that you can try you favorite for $2.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6021 posts
459 upvotes
There was an articles some years ago in the newspaper featuring a sausage maker.

Can't remember if it was Shopsy's or another name but the guy said they had been in business for years and he used his grandparents recipes from Europe and that he sold wholesale to hot dog vendors as he made custom sausages as well as some of the hottest in the business.

Not sure of the address either but it was down in that area close to Kensington market etc.

I have eaten lots of sausages and hot dogs and you can truly tell the difference between the good and the bad ones.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
34698 posts
1567 upvotes
Toronto
head to kensington market.. they have everything
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
4919 posts
849 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:head to kensington market.. they have everything
European Quality Meats & Sausages:
176 Baldwin Street in Kensington Market
Jr. Member
Jul 7, 2001
142 posts
2 upvotes
gamovafan wrote:Thank you! Do you have the name or complete address? If I could find it I'll buy like 50 and store it in the freezer!
I don't have either but trust me when I say you can't miss it. It's on Richmond, south side, just 10-20 metres east of Church. The door's always open leaving the sidewalk smelling like raw hot dogs.. follow that smell. They sell buns too but it's a big bag.
× < >

Top