Food & Drink

Where to buy pure vanilla extract?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 6:26 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1458 posts
435 upvotes
PC has different types of vanilla extract in a bottle, including from Madagascar vanilla beans extract. I wonder what the difference is.
Jun 18, 2017
195 posts
62 upvotes
Vancouver
Most of the Madagascar farms claim they are organic and fair trade and since it's such a small pool of producers that kind of thing is a bit easier to control. Vanilla is super labour intensive to grow, and water intensive as well so it doesn't surprise me it's starting to demand a premium, damaged crops or no. Hope it doesn't go the way of quinoa where the people who produce it can't even afford to buy it!
That's my name...
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2491 posts
222 upvotes
Whitby
merrygold wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:26 am
Vanilla is now $38.99 at Costco in Vancouver and it isn't as fragrant as the last bottle I bought a few years ago for $13. :( I hope someone gives a heads up when Costco stocks the vanilla beans. It can't hurt to try making one's own when the store bought stuff isn't as good as it used to be.
Yes! I just bought a bottle for that price and couldn't believe it, the price was missing from the shelf and I remembered paying about $13 for it the last time.... I have not opened the new bottle yet to compare, my wife has threatened to take it back it was so expensive.....
Nov 4, 2006
773 posts
71 upvotes
Costco Business Center has imitation vanilla extract 3.78litres for $11.89
Images
  • IMG_2654.JPG
  • IMG_2655.JPG
Sep 8, 2002
316 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
I buy from winners and when they have the brand that I like, I stock up. There are brands that don't have addictives or sugar added, just water, alcohol and vanilla.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6210 posts
1110 upvotes
yatyat wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:15 pm
I buy from winners and when they have the brand that I like, I stock up. There are brands that don't have addictives or sugar added, just water, alcohol and vanilla.
I get mine from HomeSense. A good variety of brands.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6766 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
yatyat wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:15 pm
bonterra wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:22 pm
I get mine from HomeSense. A good variety of brands.
I've only seen Nielsen Massey at winners and Homesense.
Don't see it anymore though.
They also carry a Vanilla bean paste.
Has anyone used this before?
Or is it just for different applications compared to what the liquid would be used for?
Can the Vanilla bean paste be used to make your own liquid Vanilla.
I hardly use the bottle of Vanilla I bought from Costco.
Hardly bake anymore really, but if I do,I often use a mixed essence, made up of a combination of artificial flavorings including Vanilla,Pear and Almond.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6210 posts
1110 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 6:46 pm
Or is it just for different applications compared to what the liquid would be used for?
Hardly bake anymore really, but if I do,I often use a mixed essence, made up of a combination of artificial flavorings including Vanilla,Pear and Almond.
Now that you mention it, I realize I haven't seen vanilla at HomeSense for awhile. I didn't notice because I don't need any. I've also slowed way down on my baking, but got blueberries today to make the last blueberry pie of the season.

Where do you get the mixed essence, it sounds delicious? A Frangipane Pear tart recipe I've been meaning to try comes to mind as a good use.

I have used the vanilla paste interchangeably with vanilla extract on many occasions, the only real difference is in texture. The paste has little bean seeds in it, they add some texture and visual appeal to a pound cake.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6766 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 7:33 pm
Now that you mention it, I realize I haven't seen vanilla at HomeSense for awhile. I didn't notice because I don't need any. I've also slowed way down on my baking, but got blueberries today to make the last blueberry pie of the season.

Where do you get the mixed essence, it sounds delicious? A Frangipane Pear tart recipe I've been meaning to try comes to mind as a good use.

I have used the vanilla paste interchangeably with vanilla extract on many occasions, the only real difference is in texture. The paste has little bean seeds in it, they add some texture and visual appeal to a pound cake.
The mixed essence I currently have I got it from the Caribbean a couple years ago.
Brand name is Three Stars and it was 750ml for $3 Cdn.
I still have basically the whole bottle and it expires in December 2017.
so will not buy such a big bottle again.
One I got from the Caribbean before was Francis brand and it had a strong bubblegum smell to it.
This one Is possibly watered down and I use it by the tablespoons instead of teaspoons in recipes.
I have see some mixed essences being sol at Asian stores, Ethnic stores or even the International sections at Freshco,No Frills,Food Basics and not sure about Metro.
I have never seen isolated pear and almond essence on the shelves here though I have seen it in the Caribbean.
Kola essence has a nice cream soda flavor too if you see it and wish to try it.
May 28, 2012
9434 posts
1778 upvotes
Saskatoon
gh05t wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 6:46 pm
I have the LorAnn Gourmet vanilla bean paste, actually saw it at Winners but ended up buying the same stuff at Bulk Barn with their $3 off promo. Not sure if I'd buy it again, to be honest. It smells like real vanilla but when you go to use it, it comes out a gluey clearish substance with vanilla bean specks. Not sure how much is filler and how much is actual vanilla. I think you can get tubes of vanilla bean paste in the States that is more of a pure product.
Jun 14, 2012
390 posts
33 upvotes
I own a store in malvern town centre and we sell the actual beans and also the vanilla extract by simply organic or frontier naturals, Organic tradition also has a vanilla powder which is 100% pure beans ground up. They aren't the cheapest brands but they are good ones.
Sep 20, 2017
11 posts
6 upvotes
We used to buy from Costco. Now we make our own. It's cheaper and better.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1520 upvotes
City of Vancouver
KellyM133398 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 11:22 pm
Looks like there's a shortage of Madagascar vanilla this year. Maybe some stores aren't currently stocking it.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vanilla-be ... us-prices/
I just read about this vanilla shortage on the Madagascar stuff in the Metro free paper!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.