Food & Drink

Where to buy pure vanilla extract?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 10:15 am
Nov 2, 2017
1 posts
I was holding out on buying vanilla extract from Costco because it's so high now.

Just came back from Mexico and bought 3x500 ml bottles of villa vainilla vanilla extract from the duty free at Cancun, Mexico airport for $6.50us each buy two get one free (total of $13us for 3x500ml). I've used this extract in the past (gift from friend who went to Mexico) and this extract has good reviews on Amazon. It also comes in other sizes, got some mini bottles as gifts.

If you know anyone going to Mexico, ask them to buy you vanilla extract from the duty free at the airport!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2645 upvotes
ON
Hoping costco brings the beans back this year for a reasonable price.
I missed out on them last year by a week.
Jan 2, 2012
115 posts
31 upvotes
Has anyone seen vanilla beans at costco this year?

TIA!
Dec 21, 2016
148 posts
93 upvotes
I work at the health food store, 2017 was bad year for vanilla. But it has actually been bad harvest since few years ago. Becuase like people who posted earlier, it needs people to do artificial pollenating. The labour and also the weather. We used to sell pure vanilla powder 100g for 24.99 and now is $53.99 for 50g. For Simply Organic vanilla extract 50ml was $5.99 and now is $9.99. The organic bean was 2 beans for $5.99 and now is 1 bean for $6.99.

Very crazy
Mar 8, 2008
164 posts
108 upvotes
gatineau
Dr Butcher wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:36 pm
Yes! I just bought a bottle for that price and couldn't believe it, the price was missing from the shelf and I remembered paying about $13 for it the last time.... I have not opened the new bottle yet to compare, my wife has threatened to take it back it was so expensive.....
I discovered this at Costco only today. I remember paying around $!3 for the bottle that is about to run out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5881 posts
343 upvotes
BC
I hit up anyone going to mexico to bring it back for me. I dont even remember a time I bought it here.
That's my 2cents worth
Jun 19, 2018
1 posts
This is meesther (made a new account bc cant figure out how to get into other account).

UPDATE: DO NOT BUY VILLA VAINILLA FROM CANCUN AIRPORT - FAKE!!!

I had received villa vainilla in the past from a friend and it was great. I finally cracked open the bottle I got from the airport (after finishing my costco bottle) and tested it bc the vanilla smell was weak. It tasted like water. The deal was too good to be true.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9305 posts
787 upvotes
Vancouver
Saw Madagascar vanilla extract on sale at save on foods. 125 ml for $10. I think it’s a pretty good deal. Is this stuff still selling at a premium?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11995 posts
1751 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Saw some on sale for $10 at Winners this wk.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4186 posts
1279 upvotes
Forgot to mention that Costco sells real vanilla for a good price BUT I still think making your own is the best because you cut out all the additives which makes it super PURE. JMHO.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1882 posts
632 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
We brought back more vanilla than alcohol last trip to Mexico.
Wal-Mart had one lt. bottles of dark and clear for under $12 Can, $163 pesos. We bought 2 bottles of each and about 8 to 10-500 ml bottles of the dark and clear. Most were for us but a couple were for friends.
It's pretty hard to beat the real vanilla if you're serious about baking. Or so my wife says.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2372 posts
366 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 12:02 pm
Forgot to mention that Costco sells real vanilla for a good price BUT I still think making your own is the best because you cut out all the additives which makes it super PURE. JMHO.
What additives??? Show me a label from real vanilla extract that has anything but water, alcohol and vanilla solids.