Where to buy quality essential oils?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2018 9:11 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
513 posts
453 upvotes

Where to buy quality essential oils?

I'm looking for sources of " therapeutic grade " essential oils to try to alleviate sleep difficulties. After doing a fair amount of searching I have found it seems quite difficult to compare what you're getting from various suppliers. Any help in this area would be appreciated.
40 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6263 posts
1415 upvotes
I don't know how to determine quality, but you can find them at health food stores, Whole Foods, etc.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
513 posts
453 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 2:56 pm
I don't know how to determine quality, but you can find them at health food stores, Whole Foods, etc.
Yes, they are readily available. You can probably even find them at a dollar store or Walmart. These I would guess are often synthetic substitutes, have additives or are otherwise adulterated. Quality oils are made from organic sources and shouldn't contain residues from the solvents used in the extraction process. I'm sure you can understand why I wouldn't want to be breathing in random chemical compounds. I would like to find a supplier that has both good quality and fair prices.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
513 posts
453 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:18 pm
SAJE Natural Wellness Canada, located at most shopping malls, uses all natural ingredients.

Here is a.link to their sleep solutions.
https://www.saje.com/ca/search/?q=Sleep&lang=default

www.saje.com
Thanks for the link. I wasn't able to see information about purity , botanical types used, extraction process etc. or any indication that these aren't just low cost high-markup products. Blends are probably something I would stay away from unless I were preparing one myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7218 posts
1462 upvotes
Mississauga
6060842 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:27 pm
Thanks for the link. I wasn't able to see information about purity , botanical types used, extraction process etc. or any indication that these aren't just low cost high-markup products. Blends are probably something I would stay away from unless I were preparing one myself.
Sometimes you need to do a little googling to find the answer...
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
513 posts
453 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:36 pm
Sometimes you need to do a little googling to find the answer...
"Googling" is my middle name. I've already logged a few hours on this and I'm fairly certain that a boutique store in a shopping mall isn't going to be what I'm looking for.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
6379 posts
2331 upvotes
North York
I recommend you give doTERRA a try.
The essential oils they sell are definitely therapeutic-grade. In fact, they were the ones who created the standard for therapeutic quality.
They perform extensive testing in every batch and you can actually check the test results based on the batch number on your bottle.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
513 posts
453 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:50 pm
I recommend you give doTERRA a try.
The essential oils they sell are definitely therapeutic-grade. In fact, they were the ones who created the standard for therapeutic quality.
They perform extensive testing in every batch and you can actually check the test results based on the batch number on your bottle.
Thanks, I have seen that the doTerra brand has been well reviewed. I do like the idea that there is some quality control batch #'s on the bottles. I have also been looking at some suppliers in India that seem to be quite conscious of quality and labeling with best before dates, specific botanical species used etc. Would like to be able to build a list of suppliers for quality and price comparison. I now remember why I haven't yet bought from do Terra as I was looking specifically for Jasmine oil and I don't think they sell it.
Last edited by 6060842 on Mar 9th, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2015
513 posts
453 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:59 pm
Have you tried Amazon?
Yes, I've looked at the offerings on Amazon.com and .ca
Jun 14, 2012
401 posts
35 upvotes
I sell different essential oils at malvern town centre in vitamin plus. We carry NOW, and aromaforce but there are a lot of good brands for essential oils.

Jasmine essential oil will be found as absolutes. they mix the petals with a carrier oil and then press/process the mix to obtain an infused oil. There is also a synthetic jasmine fragrance that smells better but is not natural. I think NOW makes a jasmine absolute(https://www.nowfoods.com/essential-oils ... solute-oil)

Aura cacia, NOW,aromaforce and many others make good quality essential oils and are commonly available in health food stores.

There are also other sleep aids such as gaba,melatonin,valerian and many others. Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting a supplement regime.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4513 posts
535 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
DragonRider wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 4:38 pm
Of course they do!
http://www.do-essential-oils.com/en/pro ... ential-oil
I just tried to buy some Jasmine oil but when you click "Buy Now" all on gets is another marketing/sales webpage.
No way to buy...and from what I managed to see so far, they don't even tell you jow much oil you get in the bottle.