• Jun 9th, 2018 9:11 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
6040 posts
1916 upvotes
North York
krs wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 9:28 pm
I just tried to buy some Jasmine oil but when you click "Buy Now" all on gets is another marketing/sales webpage.
No way to buy...and from what I managed to see so far, they don't even tell you jow much oil you get in the bottle.
doTerra only sells through advocates. If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in contact with one.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
DragonRider wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 2:08 am
doTerra only sells through advocates. If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in contact with one.
Well, then they have a terrible website.

When I click on "Buy Now" it doesn't take you to a webpage telling you that - it just leaves you hanging.

I read about advocates on their website but that was more about the benefit of becoming an advocate - not that you have to buy through them.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass - don't like doing business with a company like that
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
6040 posts
1916 upvotes
North York
krs wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 9:04 am
Well, then they have a terrible website.
When I click on "Buy Now" it doesn't take you to a webpage telling you that - it just leaves you hanging.
I read about advocates on their website but that was more about the benefit of becoming an advocate - not that you have to buy through them.
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass - don't like doing business with a company like that
http://www.do-essential-oils.com/ is not the company website. It's merely a website created by one of the company's advocates in the US. I provided the link only to show that the company carries Jasmine oil, but perhaps only for the US market. Please do not buy from their website.

https://www.doterra.com/ is the company's official website in the US. The company only started selling in the Canadian market last year. You'll notice that the website does not list all the company's products, on purpose. They actually don't want people to buy directly from the website. Their business model prefers you to buy from advocates who can properly educate the public about the advantages of using pure essential oils. Many of these advocates had their own lives transformed after discovering this brand of essential oils, and therefore very passionate in sharing their experiences.

Disclaimer: I have tried the company's products but am not an advocate myself. If anyone is interested though, I can certainly connect you with one.
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
244 upvotes
Kitchener
There is no such thing as therapeutic grade, it's a marketing term. I'd also avoid DoTerra and Young Living or any other MLM type company because they have no idea what they are talking about and promote some pretty dangerous stuff (please don't drink or use essential oils directly on your skin without dilution).
I get mine from New Directions Aromatics, there is a $100 minimum order but they provide testing results for all of their oils. They also have the best price for carrier oils. Candora Soap Supplies and Voyageur Soap and Candle also have really nice, quality essential oils.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7610 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 4:22 pm
Here are a couple of suppliers I was considering. https://www.botanicplanet.ca/index.php? ... mon%2Fhome https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/
I've bought from botanicplanet before. They had the best prices IMO.
First time buying essential oils but the quality was good IMO.
They have organic options and different grades,from different countries etc at different price levels.
Shipping is reasonable and you can even visit them in Brampton to pick up.
They being open to the public allows you to go see and discuss what you are looking for and see what you are buying beforehand.
They also have reasonably priced sample sizes too.
Newdirections seemed expensive to me and wasn't sure if it was a US website or Canadian.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11810 posts
1702 upvotes
City of Vancouver
6060842 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:45 pm
"Googling" is my middle name. I've already logged a few hours on this and I'm fairly certain that a boutique store in a shopping mall isn't going to be what I'm looking for.
The Dr Oz show did a segment on this: http://www.doctoroz.com/article/essenti ... yers-guide
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Becks wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 1:06 pm
The Dr Oz show did a segment on this: http://www.doctoroz.com/article/essenti ... yers-guide
That clip basically says that essential oils are snake oil - or to quote: The science doesn't back the medicinal claims up - at least not yet....

So what are we waiting for?
I would think in this day and age there was proof one way or the other.

The statement that science doesn't back anything up yet means to me science doesn't back the claims up period - you can forget the "yet" part.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7068 posts
1374 upvotes
Mississauga
starrlamia wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 12:42 pm
There is no such thing as therapeutic grade, it's a marketing term. I'd also avoid DoTerra and Young Living or any other MLM type company because they have no idea what they are talking about and promote some pretty dangerous stuff (please don't drink or use essential oils directly on your skin without dilution).
I get mine from New Directions Aromatics, there is a $100 minimum order but they provide testing results for all of their oils. They also have the best price for carrier oils. Candora Soap Supplies and Voyageur Soap and Candle also have really nice, quality essential oils.
Yep, one just needs to do some googling and simple research.

Here is a good article. https://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/how- ... p-quality/
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1191 posts
315 upvotes
It's a shit show trying to get good stuff. Research a lot first. MLM is very heavy with this.
Dec 25, 2007
789 posts
304 upvotes
It's all MLM from bored soccer moms touting their oils can cure stage 4 cancer.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3504 posts
813 upvotes
Mississauga
6060842 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:45 pm
and I'm fairly certain that a boutique store in a shopping mall isn't going to be what I'm looking for.
Wow talk about being pretentious and not to forget delusional.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Mar 14, 2016
24 posts
13 upvotes
Instead of buying multiple different oils, I just bought 1 large bottle from Amazon (therapeutic grade Lavender oil) for $20 + Free shipping. I use it for my diffuser, home products etc.... Buying lots of little ones will end up costing a lot especially being from Canada. My choice still would be for Amazon
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7068 posts
1374 upvotes
Mississauga
ar2020 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:26 am
Wow talk about being pretentious and not to forget delusional.
Yep. Also OP doesn't know how to research.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.