• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2018 9:11 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1482 posts
1163 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SDM and Costco?
my wife bought some from SDM and use them to make handmade soap, not sure how to determine the quality tho
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5569 posts
1679 upvotes
North York
TrickyWalnut wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 4:20 pm
Instead of buying multiple different oils, I just bought 1 large bottle from Amazon (therapeutic grade Lavender oil) for $20 + Free shipping. I use it for my diffuser, home products etc.... Buying lots of little ones will end up costing a lot especially being from Canada. My choice still would be for Amazon
I don't think you know what essential oil is, otherwise common sense should have warned you that if the essential oil is sold in large bottles, it's for sure fake (chemical) or super-duper diluted. Think about it, doTerra requires approximately 3 pounds of lavender flowers to produce just 15mL of lavender essential oil. You think selling a large bottle of pure oil for just $20 make much business sense?
Last edited by DragonRider on Mar 12th, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 16, 2011
837 posts
243 upvotes
Kitchener
DragonRider wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:14 pm
I don't think you know what essential oil is, otherwise common sense should have warned you that if the essential oil are sold in large bottles, it's for sure fake (chemical) or super-duper diluted. Think about it, doTerra requires approximately 3 pounds of lavender flowers to produce just 15mL of lavender essential oil. You think selling a large bottle of pure oil for just $20 make much business sense?
DoTerra overcharges though, they have 15ml of lavender for $28usd on their site. I can get 100ml for $13-$38CAD from New Directions with quality analysis and spectrometry analysis available right on the site, where DoTerra wont release their testing results. Though I do agree that you have to be careful of what you are buying because many low priced oils are adulterated.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5569 posts
1679 upvotes
North York
starrlamia wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:23 am
DoTerra overcharges though, they have 15ml of lavender for $28usd on their site. I can get 100ml for $13-$38CAD from New Directions with quality analysis and spectrometry analysis available right on the site, where DoTerra wont release their testing results. Though I do agree that you have to be careful of what you are buying because many low priced oils are adulterated.
doTerra has a 2-tier price structure. If you're a member (I believe either by paying about $50 membership fee or by purchasing a starter kit), you get much better price than non-members. BOGO discounts are also quite common.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5569 posts
1679 upvotes
North York
starrlamia wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:23 am
Also, doTerra's testing result is transparent. I just happen to have a bottle of lemon citrus on me and can walk you through how to lookup the analysis results:
1. Visit https://sourcetoyou.com/
2. Click on QUALITY REPORTS (GCMS) button;
3. Input Quality ID L161326K and click Submit button;
4. You'll see the full composition of my bottle of Lemon Essential Oil by clicking on the Test Results PDF icon. There's also a video included explaining how the result is derived.
Aug 16, 2011
837 posts
243 upvotes
Kitchener
DragonRider wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:56 am
Also, doTerra's testing result is transparent. I just happen to have a bottle of lemon citrus on me and can walk you through how to lookup the analysis results:
1. Visit https://sourcetoyou.com/
2. Click on QUALITY REPORTS (GCMS) button;
3. Input Quality ID L161326K and click Submit button;
4. You'll see the full composition of my bottle of Lemon Essential Oil by clicking on the Test Results PDF icon. There's also a video included explaining how the result is derived.
I stand corrected on that part, might be Young Living who doesnt.
It doesn't negate the fact that they are incredibly overpriced, and there is no arguing that whatsoever even with their sales and discounts. Their membership is $35 and you save a whopping 25% off product, that is still way more money then reputable non-mlm companies. Considering this is a deals forum why argue that point? People want to get quality product at good prices, DoTerra is not good prices.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5569 posts
1679 upvotes
North York
starrlamia wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:03 pm
I stand corrected on that part, might be Young Living who doesnt.
It doesn't negate the fact that they are incredibly overpriced, and there is no arguing that whatsoever even with their sales and discounts. Their membership is $35 and you save a whopping 25% off product, that is still way more money then reputable non-mlm companies. Considering this is a deals forum why argue that point? People want to get quality product at good prices, DoTerra is not good prices.
True enough, there are more and more essential oil brands popping up now and global competition will mean cheaper prices for us. However I just want to point out that many also value the less tangible benefits of buying from doTerra. doTerra is really big on educating the public. Free sessions are held periodically teaching members how and when to use the various kinds of oils, the effectiveness against certain conditions, dilution charts, making your own blends, DIY make & takes etc. Support groups are also available, participated by numerous advocates who are passionate about educating and giving support to newer members on making the best use of the oils. My friend told me after the doTerra oils healed her sleeplessness and constant migraine headaches, she's now so interested in the magic of these oils that she started to explore blending them to better suit her needs, as well as including them right into her cooking. She's having so much fun she felt like being a chemist. Buying online I'm sure won't give you such benefits, but then doTerra may not suit everyone's needs either.
Aug 16, 2011
837 posts
243 upvotes
Kitchener
DragonRider wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:13 am
True enough, there are more and more essential oil brands popping up now and global competition will mean cheaper prices for us. However I just want to point out that many also value the less tangible benefits of buying from doTerra. doTerra is really big on educating the public. Free sessions are held periodically teaching members how and when to use the various kinds of oils, the effectiveness against certain conditions, dilution charts, making your own blends, DIY make & takes etc. Support groups are also available, participated by numerous advocates who are passionate about educating and giving support to newer members on making the best use of the oils. My friend told me after the doTerra oils healed her sleeplessness and constant migraine headaches, she's now so interested in the magic of these oils that she started to explore blending them to better suit her needs, as well as including them right into her cooking. She's having so much fun she felt like being a chemist. Buying online I'm sure won't give you such benefits, but then doTerra may not suit everyone's needs either.
Therein lies one of my biggest issues with Doterra, their "education" is bogus, there is no proof that essential oils cure or treat 99% of the things they promote them for. They also advocate ingesting essential oils and using them neat which is extremely dangerous. There is a ton of actual information online from trained aromatherapists, who go to school and study essential oils, that "education" from DoTerra is meaningless. Your friend is not a chemist, she's a believer of all the woo and bullshit that DoTerra is peddling.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5569 posts
1679 upvotes
North York
starrlamia wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:10 am
Therein lies one of my biggest issues with Doterra, their "education" is bogus, there is no proof that essential oils cure or treat 99% of the things they promote them for. They also advocate ingesting essential oils and using them neat which is extremely dangerous. There is a ton of actual information online from trained aromatherapists, who go to school and study essential oils, that "education" from DoTerra is meaningless. Your friend is not a chemist, she's a believer of all the woo and bullshit that DoTerra is peddling.
LOL, if you don't believe in essential oils, why even bother to comment on this thread, or to buy from any such companies?? I only believe what I see. I've known this friend for 20 years. She has migraine headache since she was 16 (She's a few times that age now). She has tried so many treatments, seen numerous doctors and nothing helped. It got to a point where she was finishing a box of Advil every week. I know she's not the type who easily believes in anything told to her. She actually doubted the essential oils herself after the headaches disappeared, tried cutting the oil and the headaches came right back. I just met up with her last week, surprised she doesn't even carry advil on her anymore, and she has never looked healthier and more energetic.
Jan 24, 2018
36 posts
7 upvotes
From reading this thread and my own research, Spruse Essentials or Saje Natural Wellness seem to be good, safe choices.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)