Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
toronto19850 wrote: I still have no clue how to make congee lol

My grandma just eats salted egg as a dish for dinner
Usually has 1-2 meat dishes, 2-3 vegetables dishes, and eggs
She uses regular eggs but prefers salted ones if she can get them. Usually her friends give her them when they make it
It's as easy as boiling rice in water. What's not to get?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Blandermed wrote: Wait, the salted egg is an Asian thing? I've never known.
Interesting you say it that way. I’m chinese/vietnamese so i grew up eating salted duck eggs. UsuAlly with congee or having it flavor pork & vegetable dishes.

I noticed some restaurants using salted duck egg i havent seen before. Like dim sum steamed buns with salted egg flavor.
Or that time i had fried lobster with salted egg in the batter.

It seems to become a new food trend.

https://guide.michelin.com/sg/dining-in ... yolks/news

Its interesting to see the mainstream embracing these ingredients. However the most clever use i found was to flavor the batter of a fried crab.

I think an interesting is maybe flavoring fried chicken batter with it... and frying some chicken breast pounded thin.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1725 posts
122 upvotes
anybody know where to get powdered salted egg yolks? I believe one is even made by knorr but I cant seem to find in store in Toronto.
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: It's as easy as boiling rice in water. What's not to get?
I mean making congee that tastes good, not “boiling rice in water” congee lol
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
toronto19850 wrote: I’m just looking for salted chicken egg, not century

Haven’t made my way to t&t yet, the heat is killing me, wish they had a drive through lol
Didn't know that they sell salted chicken egg. Salted duck egg yes, but never seen salted chicken egg.

However you can make salted chicken egg easily. It is literally just salt and egg. You can use any glass container, 1 part salt and 3 part water, cover the eggs and it will be ready in about 2 weeks.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
LOL, just reading majority CBC comments here is a laugh track and a half. Cmon now... every1 knows you just hop to the nearest chinese grocer and there's like a dozen brands and a wall full of them. Pretty cheap like $2 bux and change up to $4.59 or so for 6 eggs. Most peeps just buy the cheapie boxes like $2.20-2.50 for 6. My gramma used to make them herself. Just get a large jar fill it with eggs. Then boil a huge pot of water, dump a ton of salt (a font here said it's 3:1 ratio) and let cool. Then poor in the large jar of eggs. 2-3 weeks later - done. Just works via osmosis. Tons of types - chicken eggs, duck eggs (most popular), preserved duck egg (congee style), ostrich eggs - yes, I've seen them, even turkey eggs (expensive af...).
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING