Home & Garden

Where to buy a Sofa with good back support/springs?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2009 2:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2340 posts
163 upvotes
Canada

Where to buy a Sofa with good back support/springs?

I know people say don't go to the Brick, so I won't, and IKEA has been giving too many hassles in terms of their sofas, so who else can I go to? Sears? They're made in China, but if they work out of the box...I'm game.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14651 posts
1456 upvotes
You might want to look at an Italian sofas, some of them ones have hidden reclining mechanisms and hidden head rests. Very comfortable but stylish at the same time. Natuzzi and Calligaris are two brands you can look at.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6201 posts
73 upvotes
Lazy boy makes nice ones. JayMar as well (Jaymar are made in canada, lazyboys in the us)
Aug 25, 2005
668 posts
28 upvotes
scoobydoo wrote:
Sep 25th, 2009 3:04 pm
I know people say don't go to the Brick, so I won't, and IKEA has been giving too many hassles in terms of their sofas, so who else can I go to? Sears? They're made in China, but if they work out of the box...I'm game.
Costco but they have limited selection.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2340 posts
163 upvotes
Canada
redac wrote:
Sep 26th, 2009 12:26 am
Costco but they have limited selection.
Totally. Do you find the costco sofas of very good quality?
Dec 12, 2005
335 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
The smaller stores (smaller than Brick and IKEA), you can customize the firmness of the foam and pick the color of the fabric. The vendor is located in Canada. I learned about this when we were scouting for one and visited a store called Roma Furniture. They have locations in Richmond, Surrey and I think, Coquitlam as well. (I'm sure there are other stores that will allow you to customize your sofa) If you decide to visit the store, ask the sales guy what kind of problems they had encounter with the vendor and their products.
May 31, 2006
126 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
We just purchased our sofa from Urban Barn. We had a natuzzi sectional but within a few years the frame was already ruined. We had a custom sofa done through urban barn ... its a canadian company that makes it out in B C and it comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame (i guess as long as its in business)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14651 posts
1456 upvotes
navaz wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:54 am
We had a natuzzi sectional but within a few years the frame was already ruined.
Did you buy your Natuzzi from the Brick/Sears? If you did, it's probably an "Editions" sofa which is made overseas and not in Italy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2340 posts
163 upvotes
Canada
navaz wrote:
Sep 27th, 2009 9:54 am
We just purchased our sofa from Urban Barn. We had a natuzzi sectional but within a few years the frame was already ruined. We had a custom sofa done through urban barn ... its a canadian company that makes it out in B C and it comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame (i guess as long as its in business)
Which one did you buy? I'll go down and check it out...
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
How much do you want to spend?

Our sofa from Barrymore is incredible...10 years on and if feels like new.

Custom sofa would start around 3k.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2340 posts
163 upvotes
Canada
1k.

I checked out Urban Barn and I wasn't impressed.
May 31, 2006
126 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
We like the sofa we picked up from Urban Barn very much but to each his own. I wouldnt be surprised if the Natuzzi sectional wasnt made in Italy as it only took 4 weeks to come on a custom order (bought at Furniture Mall)whereas the Natuzzi sofa and love chair we ordered from Mobilia took 12 weeks for a custom order. Other place we have found decent sofa is DeBoers during one of their big sales and a place called Abicus in Etobicoke.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2340 posts
163 upvotes
Canada
Damn. I sat on the Bobo EQ3 sofa today and it was basically fibreboard like ikea products, I could feel it bend and creak. Sad. No padding.
Sep 4, 2009
71 posts
Ferretti will be custom made to your needs. As soft or hard as you need it. You can get it at the chesterfield shop. But I would go to the Ferretti showroom on Keele. Tell them what you want and they will write up the order for and then you take that to the chesterfield as they don't sell direct to the public. We to the style that we wanted, plus my wife (bad back) got a sofa she can sit on.
× < >