• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2017 1:04 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2008
395 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy squab (pigeon) in GTA?

Anyone know where to buy squab or edible pigeon that's fresh or even frozen? Would love to fry up a few and not pay $20 each.

Cue the jokes about killing the ones on the street - but really anyone know a good store or supplier where I don't have to buy a flock?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
If GTA is anything like Vancouver, T&T should have it.
Hell I think I've seen them even at Loblaws based stores like Superstore.
Dec 14, 2010
396 posts
84 upvotes
Most of all the Asian grocery stores have frozen quail in the freezer section. Don't think I've seen frozen squab. Quail will do as a substitute just that they are smaller.

I've seen fresh squab in the meat section in quite a few of the uptown grocery stores such as Grand Fortune and FoodyMart.
Dec 28, 2004
700 posts
137 upvotes
yeah watch the tv show cook eat china on gusto if you have rogers premium cable packages or probably can find the show on the internet for stream or download

some show parts i just fast forward thru as too exotic for me with farmed rats, deep fried starling birds, various parts of pigs and other animals, and insects :)

on the flipside i don't need to visit china as the show goes to many parts of china exploring the local cultures of each

all countries have their various foods that i would never eat or try; some i can't mention on here as too repulsive and sickening
[OP]
May 7, 2008
395 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Complete useless post #1:
greenbaido wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 9:54 pm
Go to Chinatown on Spadina in the early hours of Saturday and you will see the Chinese catching the
pigeons with nets. Be a true RFd'er and catch them yourself.
[OP]
May 7, 2008
395 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand why folks constantly need to point how Chinese people eat a lot of items that they can't fathom eating. I personally find chicken breast repulsive, and don't go on every forum to point out how disgusting it tastes to me. Only thing I can ever rationalize why people do so - is a form subtle racism whereby it is pointed out that "they (i.e. Chinese or any others)" don't eat Tim Hortons sandwiches like us.

Complete useless post #2:

smoraes wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
yeah watch the tv show cook eat china on gusto if you have rogers premium cable packages or probably can find the show on the internet for stream or download

some show parts i just fast forward thru as too exotic for me with farmed rats, deep fried starling birds, various parts of pigs and other animals, and insects :)

on the flipside i don't need to visit china as the show goes to many parts of china exploring the local cultures of each

all countries have their various foods that i would never eat or try; some i can't mention on here as too repulsive and sickening
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
Are you making the Chinese fried squab? Do you have a good recipe? I heard that you need to marinade or cook the squab in 鹵水 (not sure what it's called in English) before frying.

Does anyone have recommendation where I can get good fried squab in Toronto area?
[OP]
May 7, 2008
395 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
I'm trying to do that Chinese fried squab - and others. Can't find a good recipe online, but friend's grandma says she will teach me if I bring over some proper squab. I'll share recipe once I get it.

Yes it should be marinated in 鹵水 (which usually translates to Master Stock). Of course most people don't have 鹵水 lying around - it's built over years to get that proper taste. Of course you could just approximate it.

Kenny's Noodle at Steeles Ave. E and Silver Star Blvd. across the No Frills - does a pretty decent version, pricey but I crave it.
gta1216 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 8:58 am
Are you making the Chinese fried squab? Do you have a good recipe? I heard that you need to marinade or cook the squab in 鹵水 (not sure what it's called in English) before frying.

Does anyone have recommendation where I can get good fried squab in Toronto area?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
antihero wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 3:42 pm
I'm trying to do that Chinese fried squab - and others. Can't find a good recipe online, but friend's grandma says she will teach me if I bring over some proper squab. I'll share recipe once I get it.

Yes it should be marinated in 鹵水 (which usually translates to Master Stock). Of course most people don't have 鹵水 lying around - it's built over years to get that proper taste. Of course you could just approximate it.

Kenny's Noodle at Steeles Ave. E and Silver Star Blvd. across the No Frills - does a pretty decent version, pricey but I crave it.
Are they cooked to order? Some places in Chicago, they're mad in advance and just try them when ordered, and are usually dry. I'm actually surprised that I found better tasting fried squab at a Hong Kong style cha chaan tang than at expensive restaurants.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35637 posts
1927 upvotes
Toronto
smoraes wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm

Myth. China doesnt reallt eat these "scary meats".
Its just some backwards hick town or villages... temember its a country almost as big as canada jn land mass... but with a billion plus people.

Its like saying all canadians eat fermentated salt fish kippers and haggis just bc there are a few eat it in newfoundland...

Or that all americans eat road kill golphers bc a few inbred impoverished hicks do it.
Dec 28, 2004
700 posts
137 upvotes
sorry am a minority and make no apologies as i am not off the boat and learn about worldwide cultures and practices; if people grow up with chip on shoulder and quick to throw out racism and don't know what that word means that not my problem; the 70's i grew up in and was all prejudice, bias and stereotype and racist was extreme term for hatred and violence towards a group/people which is real meaning

moral is that cooking chefs going back to practice of making use of every part of an animal and each decides if they want to try or not
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel