• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 11:47 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2008
358 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy squab (pigeon) in GTA?

Anyone know where to buy squab or edible pigeon that's fresh or even frozen? Would love to fry up a few and not pay $20 each.

Cue the jokes about killing the ones on the street - but really anyone know a good store or supplier where I don't have to buy a flock?
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17220 posts
4138 upvotes
If GTA is anything like Vancouver, T&T should have it.
Hell I think I've seen them even at Loblaws based stores like Superstore.
Dec 14, 2010
392 posts
80 upvotes
Most of all the Asian grocery stores have frozen quail in the freezer section. Don't think I've seen frozen squab. Quail will do as a substitute just that they are smaller.

I've seen fresh squab in the meat section in quite a few of the uptown grocery stores such as Grand Fortune and FoodyMart.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35331 posts
1794 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like a broken record... But everytime there is some sort of unique type of meat... IT always seems to be sold at an Asian grocery store!
Aug 27, 2010
372 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Chinatown on Spadina in the early hours of Saturday and you will see the Chinese catching the
pigeons with nets. Be a true RFd'er and catch them yourself.
Dec 28, 2004
673 posts
129 upvotes
yeah watch the tv show cook eat china on gusto if you have rogers premium cable packages or probably can find the show on the internet for stream or download

some show parts i just fast forward thru as too exotic for me with farmed rats, deep fried starling birds, various parts of pigs and other animals, and insects :)

on the flipside i don't need to visit china as the show goes to many parts of china exploring the local cultures of each

all countries have their various foods that i would never eat or try; some i can't mention on here as too repulsive and sickening
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel