• Aug 7th, 2017 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 26, 2016
99 posts
20 upvotes

Where to buy a suit ? Budget is 1K

Looking to buy a good navy/blue quality suit. What brand should I be looking at and what stores should I be looking ? Can you get a great custom fit suit for that much?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6821 posts
998 upvotes
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4671 posts
558 upvotes
ArsenalFanatic wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 12:30 pm
Looking to buy a good navy/blue quality suit. What brand should I be looking at and what stores should I be looking ? Can you get a great custom fit suit for that much?
Along with the threads listed above, the 3 most talked about on RFD

http://www.indochino.com/
https://www.spierandmackay.com/contemporary_shirts
http://ca.suitsupply.com/en_CA/home
Come join the Crypto discussion :

https://chat.whatsapp.com/33kLOgl0JXD7GLH0N0tspk

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1679 posts
393 upvotes
North York
King and Rook Made to Measure fits your budget.
Sep 28, 2003
291 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Black Canvas
https://www.theblackcanvas.com/

Slightly more than Suit Supply but the quality cannot be beat at the price range. I am surprised it isn't talked about more. Styling is unmatched.

I wouldn't waste my time with Spier and Mackay, Garrison Bespoke, Indochino. Spier is a waste of time, Garrison is overpriced for the quality and Indochino is just god awful.

Suit Supply and Black Canvas. Can't go wrong with either one. Leaps and bounds better than the competition in Toronto.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11078 posts
1531 upvotes
City of Vancouver
When an OP asks "where to buy....", it is helpful to name ur geographic location!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
NiKKA wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 5:18 pm
Suit Supply and Black Canvas. Can't go wrong with either one. Leaps and bounds better than the competition in Toronto.
Going to Suit Supply is like going to a used car dealership. There's a million sales guys gang up on you every time you put your foot there.

I find S&M a bit better, but I own suits from neither make.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1368 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
NiKKA wrote:
Black Canvas

Slightly more than Suit Supply but the quality cannot be beat at the price range. I am surprised it isn't talked about more. Styling is unmatched.

I wouldn't waste my time with Spier and Mackay, Garrison Bespoke, Indochino. Spier is a waste of time, Garrison is overpriced for the quality and Indochino is just god awful.

Can you elaborate as to what makes Black Canvas superior to the other options you listed? Why is S&M a waste of time?
I take pictures of stuff ; flickr
Sep 28, 2003
291 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 8:58 am
Going to Suit Supply is like going to a used car dealership. There's a million sales guys gang up on you every time you put your foot there.

I find S&M a bit better, but I own suits from neither make.

This is probably true in most people's experience. However, I rather have aggressive sales associates than having an inferior quality suit. Suit Supply quality is probably 95% better than anything on the market and I am not even exaggerating. Suit Supply Jort is really amazing.

All these mom and pop custom places are really bad in terms of quality. I am probably older than most RFDers and been wearing suits for a very long time.

I have tried a lot of places (Garrison, Empire Custom, King and Bay) in Toronto, Suit Supply and Black Canvas are clearly the best in the city.
Sep 28, 2003
291 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
superock wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:17 am
Can you elaborate as to what makes Black Canvas superior to the other options you listed? Why is S&M a waste of time?
Construction and Quality stands above all the rest mentioned.

Black Canvas has superior quality and is unmatched in terms of construction. The cut, fabric, button holes, stitching, canvassing, and finish. Its clean work.

S&M is not terrible but it isn't great. I would say it is better than most mall brands but lower end compared to Suit Supply and Black Canvas. It is not a brand I would associate myself with and customer service is bad.

I have a suit from Spier and Mackay and I feel it is geared towards an older audience. Styling is very subjective but I feel S&M styling just isn't there, it tries to be very sartorial, sure that may work on styleforum but in the office it doesn't look very professional.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1665 posts
828 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Seems like a lot of good suit places are in Toronto. Any good ones in Vancouver?
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
NiKKA wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 11:58 am
Construction and Quality stands above all the rest mentioned.

Black Canvas has superior quality and is unmatched in terms of construction. The cut, fabric, button holes, stitching, canvassing, and finish. Its clean work.
Where are they made?
Sep 28, 2003
291 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 10:50 pm
Where are they made?
I believe it was China or Hong Kong, I can't remember. The associate was telling me they use the best luxury factory in Asia.

It doesn't matter to me though because the finishing is superb.

It rivals anything I have that is Made in Italy. I use to buy alot of main line Zegna.

It is on the level of a Suit Supply Jort and I love the styling of their suits. It is cut very aggressively but still comfortable.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1325 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
NiKKA wrote:
Black Canvas

Is Suit Supply off the rack with alterations the best bang for your buck?
Looks like they have made to measure as well, but I'm guessing it's made elsewhere? Is the customer service going to be a nightmare if it's a bunch of inexperienced salespeople?

FYI, many of the pics on Black Canvas don't flatter them. The suits don't fit the model very well IMO.
Sep 28, 2003
291 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:29 am
Is Suit Supply off the rack with alterations the best bang for your buck?
Looks like they have made to measure as well, but I'm guessing it's made elsewhere? Is the customer service going to be a nightmare if it's a bunch of inexperienced salespeople?

FYI, many of the pics on Black Canvas don't flatter them. The suits don't fit the model very well IMO.

Suit Supply is great. I am not sure what you mean about inexperienced sales people?!? They are definitely best bang for the buck.

What part of the Black Canvas Suit doesn't fit well? I am not sure what you are seeing?!

I think they look great on the model.

Anyway. I am just giving my 2 cents, Suit Supply and Black Canvas were the best places I tried in Toronto
I have also visited the majority this city has to offer and I can assure you the quality much above the rest.
I am surprised some of these companies are even in business to be honest with the quality they are producing.

I don't want people to fall into the trap I did when I was younger and bought terrible suits from these bad companies. So I want to educate as much as I can to help people.