None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
32 upvotes
Etobicoke

Where to buy tube sand?

Looking to buy some tube sand. Checked out local Home depot and walmart and they said they don't carry it. Anybody know where i can find it?

Kherani wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:30 pm
I'm getting my learners permit soon, and I understand that you need to do a written test. Whenever I ask my older friends about it, they tell me to read "the book". What is this book they're referring to?
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
What is "tube sand"? Isn't is sand used to mix with concrete in tube forms? Why would you want this refined clean sand to throw on the driveway?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
32 upvotes
Etobicoke
Tube Sand- Tube-shaped bag fits along side rear axle, above wheel wells or in bed of pick-up trucks. Use for traction and vehicle weight for winter driving conditions. 60 lb. bag.

Basically a tear resistant bag for sand. And not to be used on driveway.
Kherani wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:30 pm
I'm getting my learners permit soon, and I understand that you need to do a written test. Whenever I ask my older friends about it, they tell me to read "the book". What is this book they're referring to?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2466 upvotes
Ottawa
tyfriend wrote:
Dec 12th, 2009 6:20 pm
Tube Sand- Tube-shaped bag fits along side rear axle, above wheel wells or in bed of pick-up trucks. Use for traction and vehicle weight for winter driving conditions. 60 lb. bag.

Basically a tear resistant bag for sand. And not to be used on driveway.
Duuuuh, sorry for being dumb.
Never had a need for such a thing and could not see how it helps besides making the vehicle heavier and physics say that it would take longer to stop and be harder to control with the extra weight.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1017 posts
48 upvotes
Beamsville
If you can't find any just grab a bag or two of "sandbox" sand from homedepot and use them.
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Dec 12th, 2009 6:24 pm
Duuuuh, sorry for being dumb.
Never had a need for such a thing and could not see how it helps besides making the vehicle heavier and physics say that it would take longer to stop and be harder to control with the extra weight.
People have been doing this with p/u trucks for ages, so it probably helps (in winter). But I doubt many bother using specially packaged sand just for that.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10986 posts
1342 upvotes
tyfriend wrote:
Dec 12th, 2009 5:44 pm
Looking to buy some tube sand. Checked out local Home depot and walmart and they said they don't carry it. Anybody know where i can find it?..
There's something called a "bed rock" bag for pickups. It's a heavy vinyl bag that you can load with sand bags or patio stones. It secures with heavy straps into the bed of truck so that it doesn't shift around in case you get into an accident. The last thing you need is a patio stone or sand bag in the back of the head:
http://www.princessauto.mobi/index.php? ... emid=15126

We used to take worn out grader blade edges and cut them into 4 ft sections. We would put them across the back of the bed at the tail gate of our trucks at work.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
Currently, I have 8 fifty-pound sand bags in the back of my compact RWD truck. RWD and even 4x4 trucks typically need some sand bags to increase the weight on the rear axle....thus increasing traction in winter conditions. Sand bags are priced $3-$4/bag at local gas stations.

Dave
Nov 10, 2003
284 posts
1 upvote
tyfriend wrote:
Dec 12th, 2009 5:44 pm
Looking to buy some tube sand. Checked out local Home depot and walmart and they said they don't carry it. Anybody know where i can find it?

I have seen this at many Home Depot's. The store you went to should have checked other locations for you if they don't carry it.
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
DavidY wrote:
Dec 13th, 2009 1:19 am
Currently, I have 8 fifty-pound sand bags in the back of my compact RWD truck. RWD and even 4x4 trucks typically need some sand bags to increase the weight on the rear axle....thus increasing traction in winter conditions. Sand bags are priced $3-$4/bag at local gas stations.

Dave
Does the fuel economy suffer much? (Keeping in mind it's going to suffer in winter anyway.)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
jhardy wrote:
Dec 13th, 2009 10:41 am
Does the fuel economy suffer much? (Keeping in mind it's going to suffer in winter anyway.)
Sure, the gas economy gets hit...between that and winter conditions, it's worse by probably 2-3 litres per 100 km (city).

At least with the sand bags, it's drivable. Without them, one would get stuck often or it would be downright dangerous.

Another option is Shurtrax....fillable with water....search at the Canadiantire website. Add a couple hundred pounds in the bed of a truck. I will probably get one for my next new truck whenever it comes on sale.

Dave
Apr 24, 2006
924 posts
3 upvotes
:arrowu: Do you use snow tires or all seasons?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
jhardy wrote:
Dec 13th, 2009 11:06 am
:arrowu: Do you use snow tires or all seasons?
Last winter, I bought a set of four studded winter tires (Arctic Claw TXI). Had a set of BFG All Terrain T/A KO's (rated for severe snow), but got stuck too many times (at least 10 one winter) even with 6-8 sand bags. A 4x4 is on my wish list. ;)

Dave
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3554 posts
67 upvotes
I used a couple of bags of playground sand and then put those bags into some old nylon grain seed bags I had sitting around.

I've also used softener salt, but again, double bagged, JIC.

My 2WD pickup, with winter tires only on the back (I bought it setup this way) and the added weight does awesome in the snow and ice. I'm sure if I was in the mountains a 4WD would be better, but for 98% of the driving, this combination works. And its cheap.

Then, I'll use the playground sand in the Spring for the jedi's sandbox and the salt can be used in the softener. Nothing even to store.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
× < >