• Feb 11th, 2010 2:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2879 posts
242 upvotes

Where to buy turmeric spice???

I can not find turmeric powder anywhere!!! I have checked Metro, Sobey's etc. to no avail :cry: Even Bulk Barn website only lists curry powder, but no turmeric. BTW, this is for a recipe, not as a supplement, so I need the powder, not capsules.
Anyone?

Thanks!
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
25 upvotes
Sibica wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 10:18 am
I can not find turmeric powder anywhere!!! I have checked Metro, Sobey's etc. to no avail :cry: Even Bulk Barn website only lists curry powder, but no turmeric. BTW, this is for a recipe, not as a supplement, so I need the powder, not capsules.
Anyone?

Thanks!
You get it in LOBLAWS or NO Frills grocery stores .

The brand you get is SURAJ .

In No Frills you get 400 gm pack of SURAJ turmeric powder for $2.29 .

Its in plastic bags in the aisle where they keep all the spices..usually in the international section (placement location varies from store to store )..you will find Chilli powder etc also in that aisle.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4984 posts
524 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Sibica wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 10:18 am
Anyone?

Thanks!
Sometimes a commercial product spells it tumeric.
Bulk Barn usually has it in stock.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2879 posts
242 upvotes
Thanks! Will check No Frills first and go from there :)
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
1100 posts
25 upvotes
Sibica wrote:
Feb 10th, 2010 10:34 am
Thanks! Will check No Frills first and go from there :)
You also get it in all these ethnic grocery stores , mostly Pakistani & Indian grocery stores...the brand you get in these stores is usually QUALITY , and you usually get 200 gm and 400 gm packets .
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
Forget the powder, get the real root...1000x better.

Anyway, I have never not seen in powder form at a grocery store.
Aug 24, 2005
941 posts
113 upvotes
I usually buy turmeric from bulk barn but I am sure I have seen it in Loblaws/RCSS.

One thing about using Turmeric is to make sure that you use a lot of black pepper with it. The anti-cancer agent in Turmeric, Curcumin is greatly increased in the presence of pepper.
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Fresh Turmeric root is available at most Indian grocery stores and Bombay bazaars.

Turmeric root powder is more easily available at any Indian/Asian grocery stores and Bombay bazaars.
× < >