• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2019 10:55 am
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes

Where to buy used lenses?

Hi everyone,

I am hunting for a used Nikkor AF-P 70-300 ED VR FX (the newest model of the 70-300 serie by Nikon) but not sure I am looking at the right places.

Being relatively new to Toronto and Canada in general, I did a quick google search, found out that a few shops sell used gear like Downtown Camera and Henrys. Went to check them but the choice is quite limited. I know I have been spoiled living in Tokyo and a few camera shops like Map Camera for those who know would have hundred used lenses to choose from.

Not expecting to find the same kind of shop though - but are there any good address for buying used lenses? I had a look at ebay but the lens I'm looking for is even more expensive there than brand new in Henrys.. maybe I missed something.

Thank you for any advice,
Matt
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
290 upvotes
North York
Probably difficult to find newer lens on used market in Toronto. And if there is such product, the savings probably don't justify of buying used.

I've bought some older lenses on Kijiji and can get decent savings - however, keep in mind those lenses were at least 5-6 years old.
Nov 11, 2011
238 posts
113 upvotes
Calgary
You can still buy from Map Camera on eBay. They ship by DHL, you get it in couple days. For the few times I purchased from them, I don't even have to pay any tax at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2901 posts
553 upvotes
Vaughan
Kijiji

There are 2 on kijiji for $200.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 4:56 am
Kijiji

There are 2 on kijiji for $200.
This is different, probably the DX version (APS-C)

Thank you guys, I will check Kijiji and ebay regularly then.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12517 posts
8687 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup most sellers are on crack selling used lenses.

I was trying to find a used 50mm F1.2 and people are asking $1500 when it’s $1650+tax

Yeah I’ll pay the extra bit for a brand new one. Tools! That said you can try vistek and local members from sites like fredmiranda.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2901 posts
553 upvotes
Vaughan
mattnew wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 9:32 am
This is different, probably the DX version (APS-C)

Thank you guys, I will check Kijiji and ebay regularly then.
Sorry my bad, they are Dx lenses.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 12:46 pm
Yup most sellers are on crack selling used lenses.

I was trying to find a used 50mm F1.2 and people are asking $1500 when it’s $1650+tax

Yeah I’ll pay the extra bit for a brand new one. Tools! That said you can try vistek and local members from sites like fredmiranda.
Out of curioocity I just checked craigslist prices here in Vancouver. $1100 to $1300. Those asking $1500 are probably expecting that you will negotiate. I don't mean to sound obvious, but... have you tried making offers?
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12517 posts
8687 upvotes
Richmond Hill
zaporozhets wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 2:16 am
Out of curioocity I just checked craigslist prices here in Vancouver. $1100 to $1300. Those asking $1500 are probably expecting that you will negotiate. I don't mean to sound obvious, but... have you tried making offers?
At the time there was only a couple that were local to me. No way will I ever buy a used lens without testing and there were some cheaper but out of town. Also early versions of this lens has focusing issues. Ended up picking mine up from vistek and it’s a fantastic lens.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
Kijiji is the go-to, for the most part. There are camera fairs held periodically but they focus on vintage gear. The Fred Miranda forum is also a good bet if you don't mind paying for shipping and buying the lens without inspecting it personally. KEH.com is also extremely reliable.
Nov 21, 2006
491 posts
224 upvotes
Are you using it mainly for video?
Otherwise the previous AF-S model is a much better choice at a fraction of the price
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes
digger1 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 11:58 pm
Are you using it mainly for video?
Otherwise the previous AF-S model is a much better choice at a fraction of the price
Only stills. I considered the previous model but according to various sources, the AF-P is sharper, more silent, better VR.. just need to get a good deal on it as I find it rather expensive for a variable aperture zoom.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
85 posts
26 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 6:52 pm
Kijiji is the go-to, for the most part. There are camera fairs held periodically but they focus on vintage gear. The Fred Miranda forum is also a good bet if you don't mind paying for shipping and buying the lens without inspecting it personally. KEH.com is also extremely reliable.
Thank you, I will check KEH.com, didn't know about it.
Feb 16, 2014
645 posts
128 upvotes
London
mattnew wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 9:18 am
Thank you, I will check KEH.com, didn't know about it.
Remember that KEH charges shipping costs,and duty is on you.If for,any reason,you may receive a lens defective or not expected as described.If you wanna return it back,you will end up paying for shipping and restocking fee(my friend's experience)!So don't deceive yourself if you see reasonable price tags over their used lenses,if any.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
esfandiyar2002 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 10:33 am
Remember that KEH charges shipping costs,and duty is on you.If for,any reason,you may receive a lens defective or not expected as described.If you wanna return it back,you will end up paying for shipping and restocking fee(my friend's experience)!So don't deceive yourself if you see reasonable price tags over their used lenses,if any.
This is true of any online retailer that charges for shipping. There should be no duty on used goods shipped from the USA (though you may pay tax or a customs clearance fee).

KEH.com has a stellar reputation and is known for severely under-rating their gear, if anything. (They will rate lenses as "fair" condition that in other shops would be called "excellent".) I myself have had nothing but good experiences with them.

In any case, it is not the easiest option for Canadians (especially at a low CAD) but gives the security of buying from an actual store for those who prefer this approach (rather than classified ads).