None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy a water cooler

I'm looking to purchase a bottom holding water cooler.

I suppose there aren't that many options on where to buy them, as most have the taps installed on their sink (which I don't want to do) ...

Any ideas where I should be looking?

I'm thinking this is the best option, Costco --
http://www.costco.ca/vitapur%C2%AE-VWD1 ... 42843.html

Any feedback/info would be greatly appreciated.
11 replies
Dec 11, 2013
28 posts
10 upvotes
Abbotsford
Depending on where your getting your water, it may be better to rent one from a water bottle company. All depends on what kind of deal you can swing. But otherwise, costco is probably best.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Your link is indeed the best option. Bottom load water coolers are pricey. Even on amazon.ca, that very same water cooler is the cheapest (at 219$).
At least with Costco, you have their return policy in case it breaks a few years later.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2554 posts
1589 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
MrsPotato wrote:
May 6th, 2014 3:53 pm
I'm looking to purchase a bottom holding water cooler.
Any ideas where I should be looking?
Just steal one from your office late at night. They likely won't notice it missing and in fact they may notice an increase in productivity as there would be fewer people standing around water coolers. You'd get an award from your manager for that.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
249 upvotes
North York
Odd that the prices have gone up even more since I got our bottom mount SS BD water cooler last summer and it's not even available anymore on from Costco.ca, well it sort of is there but under a different made up brand name now.
LOL

This was the other ones I looked at:
http://www.walmart.ca/en/appliances/sma ... nser/N-181

Got it for around $150.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Sep 22, 2013
139 posts
41 upvotes
I was looking through my Costco Summer Savings Booklet which came in the mail. There was a discount from July 14 - 20,2014 of $30 off an Electrotemp Water Cooler. Price before discount is $179.99. The Product Number is 333190. It looks similar to the one in the original posting. Might be worth having a look at in store if you can wait that long to purchase.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
Water-coolers the flakiest, flimsiest, crappiest pieces of home appliance ever built. Buy is at Costco if only for the satisfaction guarantee/warranty because you'll be taking it back in less than 2-3 years.

My water-cooler experience at my home and cottage over the last 10 years or so:
Top mounts:
- Unbearable noise
- Unbearable noise
- Tiny little hose held by 2 tiny tie wraps on both ends came loose because it was too short. Cottage kitchen flooded.
- Water heater stopped heating
- Water flood from somewhere in the base

Bottle on the bottom
- Noisier than a train
- Dead pump

These 7 units were from 3 different manufacturers (there might have even been more than 7..I probably lost count). 10 years ago we had one that had lasted 12 years but my wife didn't like it being white when we upgraded to S/S appliances. I've been kicking myself for getting rid of that tank of a cooler every time I load another dead POS in the back of the truck to bring it back to Costco.

Anyways maybe I've had more bad luck than most, but many people I know have had premature problems at some point with a water-cooler.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote:
May 7th, 2014 11:27 am
Just steal one from your office late at night. They likely won't notice it missing and in fact they may notice an increase in productivity as there would be fewer people standing around water coolers. You'd get an award from your manager for that.
If I didn't own my business, I'd totally be up for this.
Apr 19, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
I think its quite a common thing to get along with. You can buy the cooler easily anywhere in the market you are comfortable in.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2680 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
Years back I bought a Greenway unit that had a two part clear plastic tank on top. Had a large brita-like filter in it, add water to the top & it passes through the filter into the lower reservoir. Hot & cold water worked fine, no mechanical problems with the unit.

This unit turned me off water coolers permanently because of the eye level clear plastic tank. I learned why those large bottles of water are tinted. Over time you could see things in the water which tend to get larger. After a few cleanings & flushes it got drained & put in a corner in the garage. Only reason it didn't wind up on the curb is that I had a use for the Peltier cooling element inside.

I'm happy with tap water.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24583 posts
10042 upvotes
MrsPotato wrote:
May 7th, 2014 10:17 pm
If I didn't own my business, I'd totally be up for this.
Bonus points for this actually. This way the boss won't yell at you. Double bonus for increasing productivity. Triple word score because you did it as a boss.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3382 posts
1402 upvotes
Ontario
We've had the same water cooler for about 10 years now, and nary a problem with.

It is getting near time to replace it. I'd like a bottom mount, it just seems tidier, but the top mount is fine with a bottle cozy.

I'd like one that has a good cold setting and has some speed. The one I have now isn't the speediest of coolers. It's one of those things you may not think about it when you buy one, but if you can read war and peace before you get a glass of water, it matters.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!