Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1433 posts
70 upvotes

Where to Buy Weight Training Gloves?

any location in Toronto. anything in the North York region?

I did a web search on canadian tire and spork chek and couldn't find it.
10 replies
Oct 17, 2002
608 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
They should sell them at sportschek/sportsmart/sportsauthority (whatever it's called).

Not sure if gloves are really needed though (I've always thought they were just for show). If you're having trouble with grip, why not buy straps?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5280 posts
2223 upvotes
I picked up a pair of Nike Drifit ones @ Sportchek (Eaton Centre)...I think they were $20.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15157 posts
1126 upvotes
Scarborough
I picked up a set of Nike gloves last Christmas when CanTire had them on major sale.

Got them for $15 from $30. They were going for $30+ at sportchek. I find those Sportxxxx stores expensive.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9785 posts
2945 upvotes
Ottawa
My friend's mom worked for a bakery shop and she gave us a few pairs, been working out great since

Ask around maybe even look around the garage or basement or something, I don't think you need to spend $$ on this
[removed]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
4155 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
canadian tire, walmart, sport stores , etc will all have them
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
Sportchek...look for the Nike slip on ones, better than the regular velcro ones imo
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5025 posts
438 upvotes
KennyX wrote:Not sure if gloves are really needed though (I've always thought they were just for show). If you're having trouble with grip, why not buy straps?
Gloves help me more with free weights. When using heavier weights with low reps (like less than 6 per set), grip is not as good so it's hard on the skin. Using gloves means less callouses...atleast for me.
Oct 17, 2002
608 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
BrandonHum wrote:Gloves help me more with free weights. When using heavier weights with low reps (like less than 6 per set), grip is not as good so it's hard on the skin. Using gloves means less callouses...atleast for me.
callouses are just part of working out. Eventually you'll get use to the bars.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
I used to get callouses and my skin would tear a bit, which is why I use gloves. It's definetly not just for show if you're pushing heavy weights.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2592 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
When I went to Fitness Depot, the salesman told me not to get them from there because they're utter garbage. Pretty honest guy, dissing his own products!

As for their usefulness, I really just bought mine because the heavy weights at the gym are not worn out as much, so they have a very sharp pyramid pattern on the handles. They were always biting into my skin. Gloves can also spare you some cuts or pinches of the skin sometimes, depending on the setup and your luck. :D

I don't think they improve grip very much. In fact, for exercises like reverse curls, I found they decreased my grip a bit. I agree with KennyX. Use straps if you need better grip for things like shrugs, but remember that you're avoiding a perferctly good exercise for your forearms.

I don't really have any recommendations. Just make sure you try them out by lifting a heavy weight with them. I found some gloves pinch my skin or make the grip more painful depending on the locations of the seams.