Travel

Where can a Canadian with a criminal record travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2017 8:42 am
[OP]
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
119 upvotes

Where can a Canadian with a criminal record travel?

I think they aren't allowed to travel to places that fly over the USA incase they have to land there.
Anyone know?
20 replies
Feb 19, 2010
797 posts
177 upvotes
YYC
I have a record and I drove to the US a couple times now without a problem.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
119 upvotes
Just for arguements sake let's say an assault charge or aggravated assault lol
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2116 posts
1089 upvotes
Technically... Just Canada.

If you have a criminal record, that info is shared with other countries. So they have the right to refuse you entry.

If asked about your criminal record / ever been arrested when "attempting to enter", it is always best to tell the truth (cause a lot of times Customs Officials already know the answer to that question... And if caught in a lie, then things will just go down hill from there).

Getting caught in a lie, among other things will RED FLAG you and make you in admissible for an even longer period of time, and "a person of interest" in the TSA / Homeland Security / WHTI Customs databases.

It is up to each Customs Officer to make the call. So getting admitted this time, doesn't mean you'll get admitted the next.

Not worth the risk IMO... Especially if you have vacation money at stake (airfare - hotels etc)

Cause if you are turned away... All that money would be lost to you:

Customs in any country has no obligation to compensate and
Any travel insurance is null & void for not being admissible

Forget the stress...

Research / Get yourself a pardon as @Pete_Coach has suggested.

And, lol... Stay out of trouble in the future
[OP]
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
119 upvotes
Ok so maybe it's not a good idea to be thinking What would Joe Pesci do when your neighbour in your condo building slams the door all the time loud enough to possibly give you an irregular heart beat.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16380 posts
4996 upvotes
Ottawa
cdndeal wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:31 pm
Ok so maybe it's not a good idea to be thinking What would Joe Pesci do when your neighbour in your condo building slams the door all the time loud enough to possibly give you an irregular heart beat.
Move out?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28448 posts
4420 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 9:02 am
Bad advice Pete that's a private business. Here is the official site

https://www.canada.ca/en/parole-board/s ... sions.html
Nothing wrong with the advice at all. The choice of who you use is up to you.
I have some friends that wanted to get their records cleaned for impaired driving charged several decades before and they tried the "official" route...it is basically a bunch of Government processes and leads from one place to another to the point of frustration.
A private business that does this regularly is often the wisest and most efficient process. Sort of like going to criminal court and defending yourself or hiring a lawyer that does that daily.
It's alright if you don't agree with me... I can't force you to be right. - Anonymous
Feb 8, 2017
250 posts
95 upvotes
i think the US uses something called moral turpitude to determine whether they will let you in or not. assault is in both sections so depending on how serious the assault charge was will determine whether they let you in or not.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4482 posts
676 upvotes
A friend's boyfriend told me he can't go to the US. I wonder what he did. He wouldn't tell me.
Feb 19, 2010
797 posts
177 upvotes
YYC
Just wondering, when they scan your passport, do they know if you have a record right away or they have to do some more digging?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2116 posts
1089 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:55 am
i think the US uses something called moral turpitude to determine whether they will let you in or not. assault is in both sections so depending on how serious the assault charge was will determine whether they let you in or not.
Here's a good read on the topic of Moral Turpitude, and other thoughts on how US CBP & Immigration regard crimes & inadmissibility

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-ins ... o-the-u-s/

NOTE - what may not be a huge crime in Canada, could be in the USA, and vice versa
Example... Pot Possession in Canada is a slap on the wrist, in the USA a major crime (means a Cdn with such could be denied entry)
Drunk Driving in America, a slap on the wrist, in Canada a criminal offense (means an American with such could be denied entry)

In some cases, Border Officers use their own judgement to determine admission if the event happened 5 or more years ago. But just cause one got in today, does not mean they will the next time.

This is where getting a pardon is worthwhile. Ya it costs time & money... But it is a way to show the other country that you are serious about being remorseful for your previous actions, and are making a positive effort to change.

The less serious the crime, the longer the time since it was committed, the easier it is to get a pardon... 10 years is an ideal number to begin looking at this option.