Food & Drink

Where can I buy hollandaise sauce?! (for egg benedict)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2007 4:47 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2002
829 posts
35 upvotes

Where can I buy hollandaise sauce?! (for egg benedict)

does anyone know where i can buy hollandaise sauce? I've looked through a few grocery stores, but i dont know which section to look at.

I went through Superstore, havent tried TnT yet. please help!
5 replies
Apr 7, 2005
463 posts
26 upvotes
I don't think Hollandaise sauce can be pre-made and stored. It's made out of raw egg yolks, and must be kept at a certain temperature (warm, not hot). If not, the sauce will separate. Even if a store does make the sauce and keeps it at the proper temperature, I'm not sure if I would want to buy a sauce with raw eggs in it that's been sitting lukewarm for God knows how long.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
79 upvotes
Georgetown
If you want it premade you will find it in the GRAVY section in powder packs at any grocers for about $1.25
http://www.us.knorr.com/products.asp?br ... d=1&nav=11

or....here's an easy recipe
Classic Hollandaise Sauce
[HOL-uhn-dayz] A rich egg based sauce flavored with a bit of lemon or vinegar, butter and a hint of cayenne pepper. The sauce is served over vegetables, fish, or Eggs Benedict.

The most important aspect of a successful sauce is to use a double boiler and make sure not to allow the water in the bottom of the double boiler to boil, just remain, hot and lightly simmering. You can add a tablespoon of cold water if needed to reduce the heat of the water if it starts to boil.

The sauce should be served immediately upon completion.

Makes: 1 cup

I N G R E D I E N T S
2 tablespoons white-wine or tarragon vinegar or fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons boiling water
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt

I N S T R U C T I O N S

Melt the butter and keep it warm.

Heat the vinegar or lemon juice until just warmed. Have small saucepan with boiling water and a measuring tablespoon ready.

Place the top of a double boiler over (not in) hot water. (This means the bottom of the top of the double boiler sound not make contact with the water heating in the bottom half of the double boiler.)

Place the egg yolks in the top of a double boiler and whisk until they begin to thicken. Now add 1 tablespoon of the boiling water. Continue to beat the sauce until it begins to thicken. Repeat with the remaining water, one tablespoon at a time, beating the mixture after each addition.

Now add the warmed vinegar or lemon juice. Remove the double boiler from the heat. Beat the sauce briskly with a wire whisk. Continue to beat the mixture as you slowly pour in the melted butter. Add the salt and cayenne and beat the sauce until it is thick. Serve immediately.

See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5412 posts
171 upvotes
BC
its usually in a package along with packaged gravy's and other sauces.

knorr makes one, and there are also a couple of others.. all you add is butter, milk/water, and bring to a boil. pretty simple, and they taste good.

when i make them from the package, i add way less butter than called for and a bit more of the milk/water.
That's my 2cents worth
Aug 9, 2006
620 posts
I agree with 3Weddings & CingKrab. Hollandaise Sauce is an extremely easy recipe with not alot of ingredients. In fact, you probably only need butter, eggs, salt a lil lemon juice. It's supposed to taste hot and fresh. Pre-made and powder is definitely not the way to go with this sauce.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
While a homemade hollandaise sauce is normally better than a packaged. If the OP is not one who is familiar with cooking or using a double boiler, it is very conceivable that you will not end up actually cooking the eggs. Along the same lines, make sure that you poach your eggs correctly (just a little acid in the water will help).

The packaged sauces are fine. I prefer McKormick's to Knorr. Given the ingredients of the sauce, packaged vs scratch won't be a big deal...

Along the same lines, think gravy. Sure, it is great to make a gravy from scratch. But for 90% of people, a nice packaged gravy (maybe with some of the drippings) would suffice.
× < >