Shopping Discussion

where can I buy true Egyptian Cotton sheets? the Bay? Home sense?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 9:50 pm
Jun 12, 2009
122 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver

where can I buy true Egyptian Cotton sheets? the Bay? Home sense?

I'm wary of ordering off of Amazon as it seems like theres a lot of companies who advertise as Egyptian cotton sheets, but they're not. Do the Bay and Home sense sell true qualify Egyptian cotton sheets? I went to Home sense and they seem to have 600 and 800 Thread count Egyptian cotton sheets for $50 to $80, but I'm not sure if they're legit.

I've seen the Bay have big sales on "Glucksteinhome" and "hotel collection" brand sheets. Are they legit?

any advice on where to buy some amazing sheets in Vancouver? I'd like to stay in the range of $40 to $100 for a queen set.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Good Sheets are not cheap (ya get what you pay for). Look for a Sale.

Next best time to buy bedding is Black Friday, and then January White Sales.

We got a set of Queen Glucksteins (Fitted - Flat - 4 Pillowcases) on sale for about $ 120 at Home Outfitters a few years back (think that was half price). They are amazingly comfy / soft and wash & wear well. Could easily last 10 years if cared for properly.

Cheap sheets suck... Instead of getting soft & silky they get rough & pilly. Yuck.
Jun 12, 2009
122 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been reading some reviews on Glucksteinhome and seems some people say they tear quite easily. but seems your experience was quite different.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
Wynn resorts in Vegas and Macau sell some amazing 507TC Egyptian Cotton sheets. They're expensive, you know why?

Because they're worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
junkyard dog wrote: I'm wary of ordering off of Amazon as it seems like theres a lot of companies who advertise as Egyptian cotton sheets, but they're not. Do the Bay and Home sense sell true qualify Egyptian cotton sheets? I went to Home sense and they seem to have 600 and 800 Thread count Egyptian cotton sheets for $50 to $80, but I'm not sure if they're legit.

I've seen the Bay have big sales on "Glucksteinhome" and "hotel collection" brand sheets. Are they legit?

any advice on where to buy some amazing sheets in Vancouver? I'd like to stay in the range of $40 to $100 for a queen set.
I've always gotten my sheets from Costco... I'm pretty sure they are Egyptian cotton of pretty good quality. I believe they were $89.99 for a King size last time I got a set. No complaints at all. And if you don't like them, just return to Costco.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
13inches wrote: Wynn resorts in Vegas and Macau sell some amazing 507TC Egyptian Cotton sheets. They're expensive, you know why?

Because they're worth it.
I want to buy sheets and bath towels but these things are astronomical in price. I hope there's a BF deal somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6123 upvotes
Ottawa
Look for sheets that state, 100% Egyptian Cotton, or Pure Egyptian Cotton. These from The Bay (http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 402760--24) are 100% Egyptian.

At $40, you will not be buying quality sheets.

Any reason you want 500 TC? The higher the TC, the tighter the sheet. This can create air circulation problems and you may find yourself waking up sweating each night.

We've switched to 100% Linen sheets and will never go back. You may want to consider linen.
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
junkyard dog wrote: I'm wary of ordering off of Amazon as it seems like theres a lot of companies who advertise as Egyptian cotton sheets, but they're not.
You mean once you receive them, the tag says something different?
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Jun 12, 2009
122 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: I've always gotten my sheets from Costco... I'm pretty sure they are Egyptian cotton of pretty good quality. I believe they were $89.99 for a King size last time I got a set. No complaints at all. And if you don't like them, just return to Costco.
will definitely check out Costco. is there a particular one you bought? was it perhaps this one: "New Season Textiles Greek Collection Sheet Set" 100% cotton sateen, 600 thread count, made in Turkey
https://www.costco.ca/New-Season-Textil ... 81713.html
Jun 12, 2009
122 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
skeet50 wrote: Look for sheets that state, 100% Egyptian Cotton, or Pure Egyptian Cotton. These from The Bay (http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 402760--24) are 100% Egyptian.

At $40, you will not be buying quality sheets.

Any reason you want 500 TC? The higher the TC, the tighter the sheet. This can create air circulation problems and you may find yourself waking up sweating each night.

We've switched to 100% Linen sheets and will never go back. You may want to consider linen.
i'll stop in the Bay and check out those Hotel Collection sheets, but if i'm reading that right that's $150 for just the fitted sheet by itself? thus a whole set is i'm guessing around $300? that's out of my price range.

Are you familiar with the "Distinctly Home" collection at the Bay? any good? Looks like they've got a 4 piece set, 400 thread count Egyptian cotton on sale for $60 (from $120).

and yes I would be open to Linen. Do you have a link of what you purchased?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
junkyard dog wrote: will definitely check out Costco. is there a particular one you bought? was it perhaps this one: "New Season Textiles Greek Collection Sheet Set" 100% cotton sateen, 600 thread count, made in Turkey
https://www.costco.ca/New-Season-Textil ... 81713.html
I don't think that was the brand. I got it from in the warehouse. They usually only have 1 option - I think it was less $ than online too
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6123 upvotes
Ottawa
junkyard dog wrote: i'll stop in the Bay and check out those Hotel Collection sheets, but if i'm reading that right that's $150 for just the fitted sheet by itself? thus a whole set is i'm guessing around $300? that's out of my price range.

Are you familiar with the "Distinctly Home" collection at the Bay? any good? Looks like they've got a 4 piece set, 400 thread count Egyptian cotton on sale for $60 (from $120).

and yes I would be open to Linen. Do you have a link of what you purchased?
DH is a decent brand at The Bay. Those sheet sets do state Egyptian cotton, but not 100% or pure. This would lead me to believe that they are a blend and not 100% Egyptian. I would definitely call customer service to find out or go to the store and check the label.

Linen sheets are, unfortunately, higher in price than cotton sheets.

The Costco sheets mentioned above are Kirkland Brand 420 thread count. They are a really good quality. We have several pairs. The come with 4 pillow cases (king) which is a bonus. I've also only seen them at the warehouse.
Jun 12, 2009
122 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
got it. i see what you're saying. On the Bays website it says 100% Egyptian cotton for the Hotel Collection. But for Gluckensteinhome and Distinctly Home they simply say Egyptian Cotton, so they could be a blend.

sounds like I should def get my hands on those Costco sheets :)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1838 posts
1581 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Linen Chest?
Btw, sometimes they have 25% off everything
Jun 12, 2009
122 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
i don't believe they have a Linen Chest on the west coast in Vancouver. unless i'm mistaken?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2116 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
skeet50 wrote:

The Costco sheets mentioned above are Kirkland Brand 420 thread count. They are a really good quality. We have several pairs. The come with 4 pillow cases (king) which is a bonus. I've also only seen them at the warehouse.
These Costco Kirkland Brand 420 thread count sheets are 100% cotton sateen and are nothing like Egyptian cotton I am used to.

Egyptian cotton has a distinctive solid crisp body and a swooshing sound when you move the material.

The Kirkland are sateen cotton and are limp and feel silky. Nothing wrong with them if that is the feel you are after. They also look wrinkled after sleeping on.
Jan 14, 2013
279 posts
273 upvotes
I purchased high quality sheets from landsend.ca, as well they often have sales, like 40% off reg. Price or 30% on sale price, if you a) subscribe to their email list The sheets are truly guaranteed, i have sent things back that have torn prematurely and no issues in doing so.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5750 posts
6123 upvotes
Ottawa
profile wrote: These Costco Kirkland Brand 420 thread count sheets are 100% cotton sateen and are nothing like Egyptian cotton I am used to.

Egyptian cotton has a distinctive solid crisp body and a swooshing sound when you move the material.

The Kirkland are sateen cotton and are limp and feel silky. Nothing wrong with them if that is the feel you are after. They also look wrinkled after sleeping on.
Yes, I looked at them yesterday when I was at the warehouse. They are indeed sateen and pima cotton, not Egyptian. Even then, it did not state that they were 100% pima cotton (which is a good quality cotton) or 100% anything.
Nov 3, 2016
310 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
OP, I suggest you first decide if you want sateen or percale weave, then think about the type of cotton and thread count. As profile mentioned above, sateen sheets are very soft and limp and shiny, which many people like. I much prefer percale, which is more 'crisp' and less clingy and I find it much cooler. Sometimes the label doesn't say and you have to pull out the sheets and feel them. If you have a strong preference for sateen, for example, you're going to be disappointed with percale no matter what the cotton content and thread count.

I haven't purchased from this company, but they have a good explanation of the differences between the two: Percale vs. Sateen

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)