Sports & Recreation

Where can I buy weightlifting chalk in Scarborough/GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2008 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 13, 2008
72 posts
toronto

Where can I buy weightlifting chalk in Scarborough/GTA?

I'd like to get some chalk. I have genetically small hands and cannot get a good grip on heavy DLs.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4209 posts
339 upvotes
Though I don't personally recommend them, have you tried straps?
I know a lot of gyms ban chalk.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
2321 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
although i would also question the benefits of chalk on your grip*.......

any true 'fitness' store will have it.....honestly, check out a yellow pages or a sort of online equivilent.

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/ ... _boomerang

i cant be certain if they will have it, but it appears they have a scarborough location. i would try them or fitness source, and if not...track down another fitness store as i recommended, it should be relatively easy to find.

*grip strength can be improved in many other ways.

devices that look like this can actually help strengthen your grip:

those help, along with just trying to strengthen it via lifting. you can use straps as recommended by the poster above, one issue with that is some feel it can hinder your development of grip strength, but they still have your uses. just understand that straps may allow you to lift more, but they do little to nothing for actually strengthening your grip.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I find that sweat on my palms makes the dumbbells roll and slide into awkward positions that could be potentially dangerous. Should I also look into chalk?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7536 posts
375 upvotes
Is weightlifting chalk any different from rock climbing chalk?

Climbing chalk is cheap and avail @ MEC.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 12:55 pm
Is weightlifting chalk any different from rock climbing chalk?

Climbing chalk is cheap and avail @ MEC.
Is weightlifting chalk any different from sidewalk chalk?

Sidewalk chalk is cheap and avail @ Dollarama. :D

EDIT: I'm actually serious in asking this. Why buy "sports" chalk if the chemical composition is the same.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7536 posts
375 upvotes
IBOPM wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 12:59 pm
Is weightlifting chalk any different from sidewalk chalk?

Sidewalk chalk is cheap and avail @ Dollarama. :D

EDIT: I'm actually serious in asking this. Why buy "sports" chalk if the chemical composition is the same.
Because sidewalk chalk comes in solid sticks and comes in colours like yellow and pink.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 1:19 pm
Because sidewalk chalk comes in solid sticks and comes in colours like yellow and pink.
Wouldn't really by hard to file/sand it into dust form. And I'm pretty sure they have white. I don't mind having pink or yellow chalk on my hands because I'll be using this at home.
May 21, 2002
292 posts
23 upvotes
IBOPM wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 1:23 pm
Wouldn't really by hard to file/sand it into dust form. And I'm pretty sure they have white. I don't mind having pink or yellow chalk on my hands because I'll be using this at home.
Heh, I've actually looked into getting chalk from the dollar store for this purpose and couldn't find any in white. Like the previous poster said, I could only find purple and pink :lol:

MEC sells climbing chalk (same stuff) and "liquid chalk". I've never tried the liquid stuff myself but heard it was an okay alternative - especially useful if you're lifting in your typical pretty gym.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2008
72 posts
toronto
I've read chalking your hands in general is recommended for all barbell exercises. Dries it up, makes it less prone to callouses. I'd use it for squats and power cleans as well.

No straps for me until I hit the 300s.

That's interesting, is lifting chalk really the same as sidewalk chalk? In that case...

And yes, I am worried about gyms banning chalk. Why is this, and does anyone know if Goodlife Fitness bans it? I was planning on making that my main gym this year.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2005
2081 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
wasabi wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 2:07 pm
Heh, I've actually looked into getting chalk from the dollar store for this purpose and couldn't find any in white. Like the previous poster said, I could only find purple and pink :lol:

MEC sells climbing chalk (same stuff) and "liquid chalk". I've never tried the liquid stuff myself but heard it was an okay alternative - especially useful if you're lifting in your typical pretty gym.
Is liquid chalk for the purpose of not getting chalk everywhere? I workout at home on my carpet and I don't want chalk all over it.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4209 posts
339 upvotes
They ban chalk because it gets everywhere. You use it, then it's on the bar, so the next person gets it on their hands, plus all over the floor, etc.

Weightlifting chalk is not as compact as chalkboard chalk, it crubles and spreads easy. I don't know if it's the same, but just compacted differntly, but gym chalk is a lot easier to get on your hands. I don't know if you can even get regular chalk thick enough on your hands to be effective.
Oct 9, 2005
332 posts
Newmarket
lifting chalk is different then "drawing" chalk. You can get it at a popeyes supplement store.
May 21, 2002
292 posts
23 upvotes
IBOPM wrote:
Aug 14th, 2008 3:27 pm
Is liquid chalk for the purpose of not getting chalk everywhere? I workout at home on my carpet and I don't want chalk all over it.
Bingo. Its just a clear liquid.
May 22, 2003
378 posts
7 upvotes
Milton
Try National Sports...that's where I bought mine. I think it was gymnist chalk.
× < >