Food & Drink

Where can I find Kosher for Passover Coca Cola (2019)?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 21, 2017
53 posts
19 upvotes
L3h2w8

Where can I find Kosher for Passover Coca Cola (2019)?

I tried the no frills at Bathurst and Wilson and the coppas at Dufferin and Steeles. I even called ahead to coppas and whoever I spoke to said they had it in. When I went there and asked a worker who was stacking the drink shelf if they had, he looked at me like I was crazy.
Last edited by ledhendrix on Mar 25th, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
50 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2418 posts
413 upvotes
Have to wait for the stores to get their Passover stuff out, give it a few more days and try again. Passover starts April 19th
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13908 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
Also check Metro @ Bathurst & Lawrence. It's expensive there, but they tend to have both the coke and pepsi varieties while No frills tends to stick mainly with the coke option(s)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1953 posts
574 upvotes
Unless somebody feels like bumping the old thread, let's update this one because I want to know when this Coke product is available ASAP. It's been my tradition getting this kosher stuff for about 5 years straight now. I stock up once a year. LOL
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3886 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
What makes it kosher?

(I’m not trying to be a smartass I’m genuinely curious.)
Sep 28, 2017
435 posts
278 upvotes
same here.... i didn't know there was a specific one for passover. do tell !
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13908 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 5:39 pm
What makes it kosher?
Special ingredients replacing the usual sweetening methods.
No HFC's or Glucose/Fructose mix.
Instead, Sucrose is used.
(Sugar derived from cane or beets or a mixture of both)
I'm not Jewish...I just know from reading ingredients. lol
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3497 posts
181 upvotes
mrweather wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 5:39 pm
What makes it kosher?

(I’m not trying to be a smartass I’m genuinely curious.)
Coke is normally Kosher (and so it has the certification on the side of all cans/bottles here IIRC) but during Passover, corn is to be avoided so they make a version of Coke without the high-fructose corn syrup as the the sweetener and use sugar instead (not sure if its cane, beet, or something else though). I think the Passover coke usually has a yellow cap on the bottles.

The St Clair West station usually carries it but I don't know when they start getting them.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13908 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
Shimso wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 7:05 pm
Coke is normally Kosher (and so it has the certification on the side of all cans/bottles here IIRC) but during Passover, corn is to be avoided so they make a version of Coke without the high-fructose corn syrup as the the sweetener and use sugar instead (not sure if its cane, beet, or something else though). I think the Passover coke usually has a yellow cap on the bottles.
More info here: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-str ... 50832.html
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3886 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 6:31 pm
Special ingredients replacing the usual sweetening methods.
No HFC's or Glucose/Fructose mix.
Instead, Sucrose is used.
(Sugar derived from cane or beets or a mixture of both)
I'm not Jewish...I just know from reading ingredients. lol
Interesting, thanks. I suppose one could consider Pepsi Throwback as kosher because it only uses sugar too.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13908 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 1:59 pm
So all diet sodas are kosher then?
Depends on the ingredients.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3749 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto
The issue here is not about the pop being kosher (almost all pop is kosher for year-round use), but rather kosher for Passover. Among most Jews in North America, corn (maize) and its derivatives are considered to be prohibited on Passover (along with most wheat / barley / rice etc. products). So the kosher-for-Passover pop avoids corn-derived sweeteners like HFCS and "glucose-fructose", and instead uses actual sugar (sucrose).

For most people observing Passover, reading the ingredients list for a product like this would not suffice, and they would want to see an actual label or sticker indicating the product is kosher for Passover.

Passover starts in late April. You should be seeing kosher-for-Passover foods in major grocery stores in Jewish areas by now -- if not, then later this week.

In Toronto, the No Frills at Bathurst / Wilson, Fortinos at Allen Road / Lawrence, Metro at Bathurst / Lawrence, and Real Canadian Superstore at Dufferin / Steeles are good places to look.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1197 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
I usually wait until after passover and pick then up at reduced pricing at the No Frills mentioned in this thread. If I'm in the area of course.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5886 posts
1867 upvotes
Sobeys on Clark in Thornhill. No Frills on Centre Street in Thornhill. No Frills at Dufferin and Rutherford in Vaughan.
Typically all of the Passover stuff is out a week before and both Sobeys on Clark and No Frills on Centre Street will have a "Midnight Madness" sale on the Saturday before Passover (after 7 pm) which would be April 13th this year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)