Shopping Discussion

Where can i report a store for surcharging for debit card use?

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2017 4:06 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2017
31 posts
6 upvotes

I know for a fact that stores are not allowed to add surcharges for debit card use. They are allowed to on credit cards.
There is a store doing this and i'd like to report it anyone know to whom I can do it?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1001 posts
116 upvotes
Ya i see it happen at alot of store, alot of convience stores do this i thought it was the norm now lol i get charged .25 cents to use it lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3639 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora
I'm not sure that this is against the law though it might be against the merchant agreement contract between the business and cc processing company.

From a merchant's point if view, it's somewhat unfair when a customer buys a coffee for 1.00, uses a debit card, and gets charged 0.50 by the cc company for the transaction.

If you do want to push this, find out the businesses' cc processing co (eg Moneris) and ask them. It should be labelled on their credit card machine.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2874 posts
2027 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:51 pm

I know for a fact that stores are not allowed to add surcharges for debit card use. They are allowed to on credit cards.
There is a store doing this and i'd like to report it anyone know to whom I can do it?
Using debit cards -- From Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

^ There's a section about reporting debit cards complaints.
yare yare daze...
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
662 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Consumer agency is a joke. they never help people. they protect corporations because they are funded by corporations !
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1855 posts
304 upvotes
aviador wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:09 pm
Using debit cards -- From Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

^ There's a section about reporting debit cards complaints.
From that link:

Convenience fees
In some cases, you may need to pay a convenience fee for the use of the payment terminal when you pay with your debit card in-store.
A merchant or ATM operator can charge you a convenience fee or surcharge fee if:
  • the fee appears on the screen where you enter your PIN 
  • it gives you the option to cancel the transaction at no cost before you complete your transaction
Note that:
  • most merchants don’t charge a fee when you pay by debit 
  • some merchants may require that you make a minimum purchase to pay by debit
To avoid fees when using debit to pay for purchases, you can:
use other means of payment, such as cash, cheque or credit card
check to find out if the merchant charges to accept these other forms of payment and if so, how much 
go to another merchant who does not charge for this service
Contact Interac if the merchant didn't notify you of the surcharge on the PIN pad screen.  
Interac can investigate the situation if you provide:
the name and address of the merchant
details from the transaction record
the amount of the surcharge
Jay R
CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
RE4L - Real Estate 4 Less
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27030 posts
3492 upvotes
Ottawa
It is not against the law to add a service fee for using a credit card or debit card. I have seen this all over North America.
I am not sure what you would be reporting.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1450 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver
I thought it was allowed to charge a fee for debit but not credit cards?

I always wondered how to report when someone charges a fee for a credit card or like alot of stores do they won't allow you to use your CC if you don't purchase a certain amount(which makes no sense to me as CC is a % fee not a $ fee).
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3420 posts
1354 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
:lol: Where do you get your fake news? Merchants are not allowed to add a fee for MasterCard and VISA because of their merchant agreements in Canada. They can do whatever they want with Interac.

http://interac.ca/en/fees-explained.html
"Surcharge fee – Merchants may choose to impose a surcharge onto customers on top of purchase amounts."
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2759 posts
579 upvotes
markham
My merchant agreement from TD says I cannot charge a fee for accepting a credit card...which I dont..BUT..it doesn't say I cannot discount a purchase paid in cash..which is how they get around this..most gas stations in the states and some bigger truck stops in Ontario have a cash and a credit card price posted
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3420 posts
1354 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:02 pm
I always wondered how to report when someone charges a fee for a credit card or like alot of stores do they won't allow you to use your CC if you don't purchase a certain amount(which makes no sense to me as CC is a % fee not a $ fee).
With RBC, you can send a secure message. Capital One, CIBC, MBNA, Scotiabank, TD don't care.

They say:
  • contact MC/VISA, or
  • merchants are allowed to add a fee, or
  • contact the merchant's headquarters as if they even have one, or
  • contact the merchant's payment processor if you can figure out whoever they are

even after you quote VISA customer service:

"Visa merchants are not permitted to:
Pass on the merchant's transaction fee to the cardholder as a Visa "service charge", "service fee" or "surcharge", even on sale items."

"The card issuing bank has access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations as well as to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms which should be used by your bank to document and file merchant complaints. It is not necessary for your bank to be the offending merchant's financial institution in order to file a complaint for you."
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1450 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver
hvwozq wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:24 pm
With RBC, you can send a secure message. Capital One, CIBC, MBNA, Scotiabank, TD don't care.

They say:
  • contact MC/VISA, or
  • merchants are allowed to add a fee, or
  • contact the merchant's headquarters as if they even have one, or
  • contact the merchant's payment processor if you can figure out whoever they are

even after you quote VISA customer service:

"Visa merchants are not permitted to:
Pass on the merchant's transaction fee to the cardholder as a Visa "service charge", "service fee" or "surcharge", even on sale items."

"The card issuing bank has access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations as well as to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms which should be used by your bank to document and file merchant complaints. It is not necessary for your bank to be the offending merchant's financial institution in order to file a complaint for you."
I think would need to contract someone at Visa/Mastercard and skip the banks but finding a number or email is another story.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1991 posts
605 upvotes
North York
A merchant or ATM operator can charge you a convenience fee or surcharge fee if:

the fee appears on the screen where you enter your PIN
it gives you the option to cancel the transaction at no cost before you complete your transaction
that's pretty funny. they don't care in principle if there is a fee for using interac, they just demand that they get a cut of the fee, the same as anything else sold through interac.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5390 posts
666 upvotes
Mississauga
anvil01 wrote:
Stores can charge a surcharge if they wish. If you like the pricing at the store but don't agree with the charges on debit just pay cash. Problem solved.