Shopping Discussion

Where can i report a store for surcharging for debit card use?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2017 4:06 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1436 posts
384 upvotes
Victoria
anvil01 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:51 pm
I know for a fact that stores are not allowed to add surcharges for debit card use. They are allowed to on credit cards.
There is a store doing this and i'd like to report it anyone know to whom I can do it?
Alternative facts. You have it backwards.
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 26, 2017
31 posts
6 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:25 pm
Stores can charge a surcharge if they wish. If you like the pricing at the store but don't agree with the charges on debit just pay cash. Problem solved.
actually know they can't. we don't live in some third world country. and if you say they are allowed to then whats to stop me from surcharging you $10,000,000 on top of your order???? or $85,000,0000 ?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3391 posts
1338 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:31 am
actually know they can't. we don't live in some third world country. and if you say they are allowed to then whats to stop me from surcharging you $10,000,000 on top of your order???? or $85,000,0000 ?
You have some trouble with reading? You know Interac's rules better than Interac?
Nobody would pay the store with debit. Simple as that. You don't even have to buy from them. Go to a different store.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2304 posts
516 upvotes
Montreal
The only thing to do is to avoid these types of shops.

Personally, I'd never pay a fee to shop somewhere unless they offer huge discounts.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3666 posts
823 upvotes
Yeah, they don't have a right to add a surcharge for credit card use, but they can with debit card use.

For instance, if you order Domino's Pizza and pay the delivery boy with a credit card, they don't surcharge you. But they do give you a 50 cents surcharge with Interac. A big company like Domino's will be very careful to operate lawfully.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2005
1920 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
Imposing a surcharge to credit cards breaks the merchant agreement with credit card agencies. There is a thread in the Finance / Credit Card forum -http://forums.redflagdeals.com/report-m ... a-2099642/. As for debit, surcharges are permitted. As some have mentioned, the fee should appear before the transaction and some stores impose a minimum spend.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Newbie
Oct 20, 2016
42 posts
18 upvotes
The only place I really come across the surcharge is beer vendors. I have 2 vendors equal distance from my house, one charges a fee and the other doesn't. Guess who gets all my business? And it's a lot...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2231 posts
484 upvotes
GTA
The places that really grind my gears are those that don't accept debit/credit, but "there is an ATM right over there Smiling Face With Sunglasses" in the same store. Total cash grab, and I never EVER return to those stores.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5369 posts
657 upvotes
Mississauga
anvil01 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:31 am
actually know they can't. we don't live in some third world country. and if you say they are allowed to then whats to stop me from surcharging you $10,000,000 on top of your order???? or $85,000,0000 ?
You must be young using that logic. If they did people would obviously not shop there.
Sr. Member
Jan 9, 2011
610 posts
289 upvotes
Vancouver
  • There's no problem with adding surcharges for debit cards. It's not against any merchant agreement rules or regulations.
  • Retailers cannot add surcharges for credit or charge cards. That would be against merchant agreements.
  • Retailers can offer discounts on any payment method they so choose. I buy computer stuff at a store that gives 3% cash discount and I always pay with cash there. I'd be happy to pay with cash at almost any retailer that offers this, but few do.
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
129 posts
88 upvotes
anvil01 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:31 am
actually know they can't. we don't live in some third world country. and if you say they are allowed to then whats to stop me from surcharging you $10,000,000 on top of your order???? or $85,000,0000 ?
Seriously? Give it up. You've been corrected a lot in this thread and you are simply wrong.

There is no other way to put it
Newbie
Nov 7, 2016
2 posts
When my family used to own a business we charged for debit if the purchase under a certain amount or for stuff that had low profit margin like lottery tickets. Also I have charged a fee with credit for the same reason. It was bed on percentage and I have only done it to one person. If a customer feels it's unfair I suggested to pay cash. We had a bank machine so we would make money if they used the bank machine.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2001
15495 posts
943 upvotes
shawn01 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:59 pm
Ya i see it happen at alot of store, alot of convience stores do this i thought it was the norm now lol i get charged .25 cents to use it lol.
It's not so much convenience store as it is independently owned stores...and most convenience stores are independently owned.

Another reason to shop at corporately owned chain stores - 7/11 in this case.

Sadly there aren't a lot of those nor much chain competition in that market. One big reason I was disappointed that Costco stopped selling cigarettes since they were the one of last corporately owned business that sold them.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Member
Nov 28, 2007
344 posts
103 upvotes
Etobicoke
Multiple people have provided proof while all you say is "I know they can't" well guess what, you are wrong.

Back in my school days I worked at a postal outlet inside a store (think post office inside a shoppers" but it wasn't a franchise store. The owners weren't the greatest at English so usually asked me for help setting things up. One time I was helping them setup their TD Interac machine. I was on the phone with the techs on TD's end and THEY had to add the $0.25 service fee to any purchases under $10. Once they added it on their end, we ran through a bunch of tests to make sure it was appearing at the right times. So in your backwards logic, you would report this service fee that TD authorized and added to TD? Good luck with that.

Top