Food & Drink

Where do I buy smoked salmon? Or any other smoked fishes?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2010 9:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3134 posts
93 upvotes

Where do I buy smoked salmon? Or any other smoked fishes?

Looking to buy smoked fishes.... first time buyer. :confused: Where would be a good place to buy from?
12 replies
May 26, 2003
161 posts
3 upvotes
Costco, Loblaws, supermarkets. In Toronto the selection isn't that great like out west. Be aware of different grades. I think steelhead is less expensive because it is a type of trout/salmon hybrid. Sockeye is money!! What you have to do is go to your local Loblaws, Metro and ask the fish counter person if they have salmon nuggets/strips. They have to bring it in special, but it is worth it!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Loblaws has some organic smoked salmon-
Just tried the new vodka and beet smoked salmon from PC- it was good, but you could not really taste the vodka or beets,still tasty though.

I usually get smoked salmon from the store that makes it in my city,they sell to restaurants and hotels and are pretty good.
Also you can get 2 kinds of smoked fish "hot smoked" and "cold smoked"

Cold smoked is like lox or the stuff that is usually frozen, the hot smoked that looks more like a grilled fish filet and is thicker,but has the smoke taste.
both are really good.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I have found hot smoked to be dry and very smoky, compared to cold smoked, which is milder, softer, and has a sushi-raw texture.
Right now I have a smoked steelhead (Norway) from Costco which is the best ever. I had to pick it from several slabs that had a yellow fringe, but it is worthwhile and lower in cost than Loblaw.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 3:24 pm
I have found hot smoked to be dry and very smoky, compared to cold smoked, which is milder, softer, and has a sushi-raw texture.
Right now I have a smoked steelhead (Norway) from Costco which is the best ever. I had to pick it from several slabs that had a yellow fringe, but it is worthwhile and lower in cost than Loblaw.
I don't really go to Costco.
the only time I got smoked salmon from Costco is was very bad and tasteless.
It was the brand with a native type logo on it...forget the brand,but would remember it if I saw it.

Foodbasics and Metro and some delis they sell the brand Central Epicure or "epicure" and that one is pretty good.
I use to get the black pepper smoked salmon, but have not seen it at Foodbasics lately.
The Epicure brand is not crappy, just because foodbasics sells it, it is also sold at a lot of delis and used to be sold at Nates deli when they were open.
That brand is made in Toronto I think.

I was thinking of getting some smoked trout this week. A local fish farm makes their own and sells it here.
Dec 15, 2010
74 posts
4 upvotes
St. Lawrence Market

Upper Level
Seafront
Mike's
Dominic's

Lower Level
Caviar Direct

Freshly smoked and frozen available, I know at Seafront they make their Gravlax in house. Grab a cream cheese bagel at St. Urbain and top it off with a slice of smoked Atlantic Salmon.
Nov 23, 2010
154 posts
10 upvotes
Agree with GroomingTuna; St. Lawrence Market is the best place to head to. Best steaks are at UpperCut Meats. Fish, Cheese, Meat; worth the trip!
Editor
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3827 posts
542 upvotes
Markham
There's also a place called Kristapson's....all they do is smoked salmon I think. Never bought from them myself but I heard they're supposed to be good.

http://kristapsons.com/
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2007
1157 posts
16 upvotes
Joshray wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 10:12 pm
Looking to buy smoked fishes.... first time buyer. :confused: Where would be a good place to buy from?

If you're willing to pay premium, these are the best i've tried. Last time we ordered these for a 50th anniversary party and they were fantastic !

http://www.hardybuoys.com/order_desk.html
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
62 upvotes
GroomingTuna wrote:
Dec 16th, 2010 8:31 am
St. Lawrence Market

Upper Level
Seafront
Mike's
Dominic's

Lower Level
Caviar Direct

Freshly smoked and frozen available, I know at Seafront they make their Gravlax in house. Grab a cream cheese bagel at St. Urbain and top it off with a slice of smoked Atlantic Salmon.
+1 on those recommendations.

I personally buy the scraps from Seafront quite often (they're cheaper) as I don't care if they're in slices if I'm using it for sandwiches or bagels. They have smoked Arctic Char which I found had a richer taste than than normal smoked salmon. I like Caviar Direct's selection but they're a bit on the pricey side, their Scottish Smoked Salmon is one of the best in Toronto IMO.

I haven't been able to find Balik Salmon in Toronto... that had to be the best I've ever tasted before, although it was something like $200/pound in Europe!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Joshray wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 10:12 pm

what do you mean exactly, when you say that you are a 'first time buyer'?
have you eaten any yet?
if you have, what have you tried?
the post is way too vague.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
× < >