Shopping Discussion

Where do I get affordable toys/loot bag items for superhero party?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2014 10:31 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON

Where do I get affordable toys/loot bag items for superhero party?

Hi! I'm new to posting though I've checked in at the forums off and on over the years but I'm having trouble finding affordable items for a party that I'm planning. My nephew wanted a superhero party (we're going with the Avengers) and while I've found plates and cutlery easily enough, affordable items for the loot bags and such has entirely escaped me. Oriental Trading, an American company, has a bunch of things I was interested in but between the exchange rate (not that bad) and shipping (very bad), the price nearly doubled.

If anyone has any suggestions for where to go for items in and around the GTA, I would deeply appreciate it. Just as an idea as to what I'm looking for: stickers, bubble blowing stuff, frisbees, capes and masks, picture frames, water guns... Anything that is relatively inexpensive but also child-friendly as the oldest attendees will be 5 years of age.

Thanks!
17 replies
Dec 20, 2004
105 posts
49 upvotes
I suggest Dollarama and/or Party City.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13513 posts
3778 upvotes
Montreal
you need a time machine and go back about 6-9 months to buy it all as sales occured. I used to do this with younger relatives, buy relevant items on clearance and keep them for the big day(s). using that method, you can really stretch your dollars.

if you are short on time, then you need to be long on cash.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
I appreciate the suggestions! I went by Party City last week and it was part of what spurred this post - the quality vs. pricing was atrocious when it came to superhero items. Dollarama actually has minimal (at least the two I went to) superhero stuff but it did have reasonably priced, if fairly small, water guns. I'm likely going back to Dollarama for those water guns, at least!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
I have to go check a few Walmarts, so the reminder is definitely appreciated! I did buy a few things (like the napkins, plates, etc.) for a pretty reasonable price at Target but I didn't find much else there. I might have to take another look, though!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
I'm not averse to doing that but I didn't expect to be planning a birthday party and it didn't seem ideal to buy superhero party items as a 'just in case' but depending on how this event goes, I'll likely start planning any future parties at least six months in advance. I don't mind spending a little bit more than I normally would but if anyone has helpful suggestions, I'm open to ideas!
Nov 27, 2006
441 posts
91 upvotes
Target has amazing toy clearance including Marvel they had spiderman small sets for five bucks buy one for each kid and a few packs ring pops from Walmart and you Ade set
Jul 20, 2007
487 posts
61 upvotes
What about those lego super hero magnets? I think they r like $5 at the lego store.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3928 posts
681 upvotes
Aurora
Dollar Tree had some awesome Avengers puzzles, I've also found some really great giant superhero erasers at Target in the bins by the entrance door.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3758 posts
2894 upvotes
Toronto
You need to get out of the toy aisle into other aisles of dollar stores, especially stationery. At Dollarama, I always see Spiderman and/or Hulk superhero colouring books there (in addition to Transformers, etc.). There are usually Marvel superhero pencil cases, pencils, etc (got my son an Avengers pencil case for this past school year). I have also recently seen Avengers-branded Hotwheels-type cars. They weren't interesting to me as they are just normal cars will a superhero decal or colour scheme on it, but for loot bag stuffers, they should be fine.

Also check out other dollar store brands, such as Absolute Dollar. My favorite "dollar" store is inside the Golden Mile plaza at north east corner of Victoria Park and Eglinton (same plaza as the No Frills), but I don't remember which chain it was (NOT a Dollarama).

If you have specific items you want, you'll have to be prepared to pay more, but if you lower your expectations and just go with misc kid stuff that's branded with superheroes on it, you should see plenty. Heck, there are superhero (pretty sure Avengers) branded shampoos and soaps at dollar stores.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
That's actually one of the ideas I'm starting to lean toward. We recently added a bunch of people to the guest list so now my budget is being stretched a lot further than I expected it to be. Thanks for the idea!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
I've heard that Giant Tiger is the place to go! I'll be near one next week so I appreciate the reminder!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
I don't actually know where the Lego Store is but that's a good idea! I'm not sure if they do Marvel-licensed merchandise but it wouldn't hurt to check. Thanks!