Fashion & Apparel

Where do i go to repair my zipper on my jacket?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2010 2:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2594 posts
10 upvotes

Where do i go to repair my zipper on my jacket?

anyone know, i have 2 winter jackets, both the zippers are broken, where do i go to fix them? can you guys recommend a location and price if you know?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3230 posts
144 upvotes
any place that hems pants will usually do zippers too
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2594 posts
10 upvotes
but does anyone know a place in the gta?
Sep 10, 2004
517 posts
80 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Most dry cleaners offer zipper repair. Otherwise, check your local Yellow Pages for tailors.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2006
1465 posts
41 upvotes
Portwest wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2007 5:09 pm
Most dry cleaners offer zipper repair. Otherwise, check your local Yellow Pages for tailors.
There's this hem shop at Markville Mall if you're near there. I forgot how much they charge but they do zipper repairs as well. It's pretty good service.
Aug 21, 2006
2 posts
If you buy a zipper first and then have a seamstress put it in it will be less expensive than using a zipper they supply. Save you some $.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14306 posts
606 upvotes
Scarborough
my local dry cleaner wants $7 to repair a zipper on my goretex jacket. i guess it sounds about right considering the jacket was $250?
MOONBOX PRO:Group Buy | User Thread
H.TVBox 3 Group Buy | User Thread
TVPad4 | User Thread

Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11298 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
All zippers are not the same. Brands like YKK are decent and have heavy duty models (those that are found on the Canada Goose parkas).

Some zips are really fragile, and the tags fall apart quickly. Make sure you look at the zipper construction. Places like Mountain Equipment COOP (MEC) sell YKK zippers. It may be better go buy the zip separately (buy the best you want) and then get someone to install it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
$7 is really reasonable. Is that zipper replacement?

The other "sewing" places I asked at STC and Fairview Mall say $2 to $2.50 per inch! Which means I can nearly buy a new jacket if the zipper is 35" long. I also have a few jackets sitting around with broken zippers.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14306 posts
606 upvotes
Scarborough
don't bother with mall sewing places.

they wanted $10 to sew the back of my tie together again. my local dry cleaner did it for free (without me bringing any dry cleaning).

go find your local dry cleaners and ask them. that's where i ended up bringing my zipper to get replaced for $5. It wasn't YKK though but it works.
TVPad4 | User Thread

Aug 8, 2008
163 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
i have a zipper that when you try to zip it up, it pops open (its one of those jackets with two zipper pulls, so you pull up the first one and leave the second one at the bottom). can that be fixed?
Oct 24, 2008
134 posts
11 upvotes
I agree with staying away from those alteration places in malls. I once took my coat to Stitch It as they aresupposed to specialize in alterations. My zipper kept getting stuck or the zipper would open when closed, so it was not aligning properly. They took my coat in the morning, I went to work, picked it up and noticed the zipper was still the same.
I pointed it out to the woman, who took the coat and talked to a few other women on the back. She came back and told me to leave the coat and they would have it ready the next day.
I took my coat back, and managed to fix the zipper with a pair of pliers. Try fixing it yourself first, if not, definitely take it to the cleaners and avoid Stitch It.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14306 posts
606 upvotes
Scarborough
burnttoast wrote:
Jan 18th, 2009 12:17 pm
i have a zipper that when you try to zip it up, it pops open (its one of those jackets with two zipper pulls, so you pull up the first one and leave the second one at the bottom). can that be fixed?
yes
TVPad4 | User Thread

× < >