Home & Garden

where do I put the TV on this floor plan?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 10:07 am
Sep 20, 2008
879 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
alucky17 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:56 pm
On the wall where the stairs are. You'll be able to see it from the kitchen island and while cooking.
Who's the designer? They should quit their job. What an awful design. Who puts a toilet besides the food prep area?!

I agree with Alucky, hang it off the stair railing. It's unique and central.

Something to think about, before you think about location of the TV, where are you going to put seating? Goodluck!
Project 708
Design . Draft . Build
Residential & Commercial
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7534 posts
1152 upvotes
Ontario
When you don't have 2 perpendicular walls, and your TV on one of the clear walls, your seating arrangement is going to be a little different. Is that a sliding door, or just a large window? Seating will likely have to block that. If you want a path behind seating and the railing, maybe a much smaller coffee table, or a skinnier one.

Go to google image search and type "tv and seating small condo" and you'll get a bunch of ideas where there isn't 2 perpendicular walls.
Mar 27, 2015
659 posts
157 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Get a smaller tv and mount on the left side of the front closet wall, the one that faces the longer wall on the left side. Put your sofa across from it.

Or, replace the spindle railing that is currently in place with a solid drywall 1/2 height wall (like this below, as shown in front of the window on the left side of the photo, its called a "knee wall" ), and mount it on that. The sofa can go on that long wall to the left and It will be eye level when you're sitting down.

http://allardteam.com/allardteam/290CH/#IMG_6791.JPG
Jul 7, 2005
765 posts
76 upvotes
North York
214x532_smart_fit1.jpg
5-6
would be pretty tight/close if you had the TV on the left wall... i would imagine from TV to sofa it would be 4-6" with that orientation

found this on net, its 9' from tv wall to wall. picture your space like this but in your case you need to move the sofa 2-3' forward so there is walking room for entry. not a comfortable layout. you have around 1' more but try picturing it in your head.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7155 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
linsook wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:55 pm
214x532_smart_fit1.jpg
5-6
would be pretty tight/close if you had the TV on the left wall... i would imagine from TV to sofa it would be 4-6" with that orientation

found this on net, its 9' from tv wall to wall. picture your space like this but in your case you need to move the sofa 2-3' forward so there is walking room for entry. not a comfortable layout. you have around 1' more but try picturing it in your head.
Nice ideas and it got me thinking. This is probably the anticipated setup but I'm worried about the TV, because it is in front of the window and there will be glare if the shades are open, and it will block his outside view also. Maybe OP wants to max space so he should consider hanging the TV somehow?

Anyway, here's my mickey mouse drawing lol.

To try to max out space, maybe switch the dining and living room designations. I'm thinking if there's enough space, put a small sofa (S) along the stair railing, and another to form a 'L' shape, with a small coffee table (C), and hang the TV on the left wall. The dining set (D) would be near the entrance, that way there's no sofa to block entry.
Mar 24, 2015
542 posts
103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Maybe something like this, but invert the corner sofa so that it faces the stairs.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38965 posts
1261 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tranquility922 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:58 pm
Nice ideas and it got me thinking. This is probably the anticipated setup but I'm worried about the TV, because it is in front of the window and there will be glare if the shades are open, and it will block his outside view also. Maybe OP wants to max space so he should consider hanging the TV somehow?

Anyway, here's my mickey mouse drawing lol.

To try to max out space, maybe switch the dining and living room designations. I'm thinking if there's enough space, put a small sofa (S) along the stair railing, and another to form a 'L' shape, with a small coffee table (C), and hang the TV on the left wall. The dining set (D) would be near the entrance, that way there's no sofa to block entry.
I would go with this.

Honestly, builders don't think anymore when they design plans, because people buy anything.

I would never buy a plan like this.
**BRAND NEW** BEAUTYREST Black Memory Foam Pillow - $55ea or $100/pair <<PRICE DROP>>
**Reg $200 each!**

Silver Coins | BeautyRest Black Memory Foam Pillow
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Mar 27, 2015
659 posts
157 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I'm assuming this is a stacked townhouse so this is a typical floor plan. I quite like it, the separate breakfast nook is nice, and they could have cheaped out by not having a window over the kitchen sink (but didn't). A TV in front of a window is a big no-no, hate that, for some reason that look reminds me of a student dorm room.
Sep 28, 2004
822 posts
56 upvotes
Bottom wall with sofa creating a divider across the living room/dining room near the base of the stairs. For proepr viewing you're going to want the sofa closer to the TV than you probably think.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4066 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
Put it on swivel at the corner of the closet at the front door
I apologize to those who don't see humour or perspectives; who think aboriginals, whites, politicians, suicide bombers, aggressive policemen, aggrieved blacks, transsexuals, Alt-righters or any other is perfect. I apologize for all my sins and omissions
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2348 posts
822 upvotes
alucky17 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:56 pm
On the wall where the stairs are. You'll be able to see it from the kitchen island and while cooking.
DPR2017 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:09 pm
unfortunately there is no wall there. :(
You could get a ceiling mount and hang it there.
Jul 7, 2005
765 posts
76 upvotes
North York
pootza wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:30 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
122 posts
26 upvotes
Faemow wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:22 pm

Who's the designer? They should quit their job. What an awful design. Who puts a toilet besides the food prep area?!

I agree with Alucky, hang it off the stair railing. It's unique and central.

Something to think about, before you think about location of the TV, where are you going to put seating? Goodluck!
pootza wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:30 am
I know I know. one thing that sucks about buying a property pre-con is that there are so many things that are out of your control & I honestly didn't realize the TV challenge when I first saw the floor plan. Hopefully I'll get to design my own house in the future =D

Here is the best I can come up with after visiting the place again today

the chairs could be something like this. so it is still relatively comfy to sit but doesn't take too much actual or visual space.

Last edited by DPR2017 on May 20th, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.