Food & Drink

where do restaurants get their pulled pork?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2015 1:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
popcorneater wrote: . S
What in good god are you talking about? "processed meats"? is that the new buzz word tha'ts trending these days? bbq is a "process". Canning is a "process", curing is a "process". NaCl is a chemical, same with Dihydrogen Monoxide. Did you know Dihydrogen Monoxide can kill you????

Jeebus.. people are daft these days.
Not OP, but to me "processed meats" are the ones similar to what Tim's and Subway uses.
Technically still chicken but pumped full of of phosphates to retain water.
It bares little resemblance to real meat any more.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
popcorneater wrote: . S
What in good god are you talking about? "processed meats"? is that the new buzz word tha'ts trending these days? bbq is a "process". Canning is a "process", curing is a "process". NaCl is a chemical, same with Dihydrogen Monoxide. Did you know Dihydrogen Monoxide can kill you????

Jeebus.. people are daft these days.
Calm down, superstar. "Processed meat" is an industry-standard term, not a buzzword. Man has been processing meat for centuries.

Meat that has been cured, salted, smoked or had preservatives added to it is considered processed meat. Bacon, ham, sausages, lunch meats are examples of processed meat.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal
dutchca wrote: You'd have to give me a restaurant you think makes it in-house. Pretty much all the chains sides are boil-in-bag. For the sides. Not hard to thrown together a tossed salad, but the ingredients are all in a bag, except for tomato, or onion. Onion is usually already diced and bought in bag. Tomatos are bought whole though.

The chains dont really make anything-they are simply assembly lines.
I'm not sure salad is a good example. What ingredients come in the bag? Lettuce, shredded cabbage and shredded carrots? Would the salad really taste that much better if you had to wait an extra 5 minutes while a cook shredded the lettuce and cabbage by hand?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
dealo'day wrote: Death Hawk, is there any way of the average person like myself to know what is prepared in house and what isn't? I have been to a few a couple of classy restaurants but for the most part I simply don't eat out or even go to fast food chains for that matter.
Bencherstyle wrote: this thread is really sad for me :(
im just an average joe that wants a good meal sometimes from a restaurant... :'(

any tips on recognizing the good stuff from the bad?
I guess its a funny concept especially on these forums that has a reoccurring theme of assessing value. If you dont know food well and everyone's tastes varies, the per-prepared food may be fine and nothing wrong with liking it.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
No Frills wrote: If you dont know food well and everyone's tastes varies, the per-prepared food may be fine and nothing wrong with liking it.
There really isn't anything "wrong" with prepared foods. It's designed by nature to be generally unobjectionable.
But that's the problem. It's unobjectionable. It should be good.
It's built from the ground up to be easy, fast, and average.

When you deal with it on a near constant basis you look for something that's good.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Sysco's food actually doesn't taste that bad. It may sound disgusting that everything is prepackaged and processed, but it's not as bad as people may think it tastes. It's not healthy, that's for sure.

When I used to work at a catering restaurant, almost everything was prepared using prepackaged foods. On the occasions that there were people sitting in to eat (there was a patio/lounge area for sit-in customers), all the meats were taken out from pre-processed packages and reheated, which is then seasoned and additional ingredients are added. This is probably why people think food is all prepared fresh, when the truth is that it's not. Every restaurant will take these prepackaged meats, foods, seasoning and mix it in different proportions. You won't be able to find two restaurants with identical taste assuming they don't just take it straight out of the package, but the base of the foods are still the same.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
this thread makes me never wanting to eat out again
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
hordosr wrote: this thread makes me never wanting to eat out again
The only reason I ever eat out is if my cost of production is more than what someone is charging me.
Or if I have no idea how to make it because I can't identify what I'm using to actually make it.
Jan 26, 2011
221 posts
84 upvotes
gta
No Frills wrote: I guess its a funny concept especially on these forums that has a reoccurring theme of assessing value. If you dont know food well and everyone's tastes varies, the per-prepared food may be fine and nothing wrong with liking it.
Yeah there is. These horrible chain restaurants are taking over so there is almost no choice. They are driving out real food. The problem is that people wouldn't know a decent meal if it hit therm in the head. All they care about is if the place looks pretty. P. F. Chang is living proof. How does a pace like that even exist in Toronto?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
robson1 wrote: Yeah there is. These horrible chain restaurants are taking over so there is almost no choice. They are driving out real food. The problem is that people wouldn't know a decent meal if it hit therm in the head. All they care about is if the place looks pretty. P. F. Chang is living proof. How does a pace like that even exist in Toronto?
That's basically the basis behind my entire complaint.
There's nothing wrong with it but there's nothing good about it.

I've been recently smoking stuff out at the gun range. I give out samples to whoever is around for "quality control purposes" (and mostly because I'm hungry now)
People are just floored at my ribs. I've had a bunch of people tell me they were the best ribs they've ever had.
The funniest thing I heard was "this is so much better than Montanas!"
Yeah that's not hard to do. I mean... when you have the worst ribs in Canada 2nd only to Swiss Chalet.

I apparently make better food with a smoker strapped to my tailgate than a proper restaurant with all the floor space and equipment in the world.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)