Cell Phones

Where do you buy iphone replacement batteries? Update: $35 from Apple store.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2018 2:29 am
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes

Where do you buy iphone replacement batteries? Update: $35 from Apple store.

Hi,

I have a 6S that needs a new battery. Do you know if we can get a real OEM battery anywhere? Or any reputable place to get a replacement?

Found this website. They claim to sell genuine OEM batteries. Anyone used them before?

http://www.iphone6battery.net/iphone-6s-battery.html

Edit: After a bit more research, iphone6battery.net appears to be a scam site. They have many websites using the same phone number.
There doesn't seem to be anywhere you can buy a genuine apple battery except from apple store where they charge $100 for a battery and installation.
Will likely get one from either ifixit or etrades. They are clones but many have used them. And ifixit ships within US only.

Edit 2: no point buying after market batteries. Apple is discounting their battery replacement cost. It’s $35 instead of $99 till Dec 2018 for iphone 6 and up.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/
Last edited by kkkat on Dec 14th, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
113 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Looks good.

You could also try iFixit.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
check eBay
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
robertz wrote: Looks good.

You could also try iFixit.
I would also recommend iFixit, at least you know you'll get a genuine battery.
Only problem is that they won't ship the battery.
Since it's goes against the shipping hazardous items.

Work around is ship it to the one of the mailing PO Box border services or have friends/family bring it in for you.

Had to ship mine to a friend & then wait for him to bring it back. (I was in no rush to get it)
Apr 24, 2006
47 posts
5 upvotes
Burnaby
I would still recommend going through Apple for $100. They give 1 year warranty for the battery in case there is a problem.

Also, if you want, they can actually upgrade your phone to newer iphones. When I was changing my iphone 6 battery last month, they offered me that I can upgrade to iphone 6s for $300+ or iphone 7 for $400+ (I kinda forgot the amount). I didn't go for it since I had iphone X already and the iphone 6 is for backup only.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24669 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
+2 for ebay....

I've purchased 3 OEM batteries from ebay..buy from a seller with plenty of good feedback....I typically buy from a canadian seller.

All 3 batteries seem legit, made in Japan and the markings are identical to OEM batteries.

It is very easy to open the iphone 6S and replace the battery. The only difficult part is removing the original battery that has the glue on it..

Just need to be patient to shimmy the battery out, that glue Apple uses is really sticky!

Or if you are not handy, go to Apple...
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: +2 for ebay....

I've purchased 3 OEM batteries from ebay..buy from a seller with plenty of good feedback....I typically buy from a canadian seller.

All 3 batteries seem legit, made in Japan and the markings are identical to OEM batteries.

It is very easy to open the iphone 6S and replace the battery. The only difficult part is removing the original battery that has the glue on it..

Just need to be patient to shimmy the battery out, that glue Apple uses is really sticky!

Or if you are not handy, go to Apple...
Can you share the ebay seller's name? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Buy from these guys - https://www.idemigods.com/Apple_iPhone_ ... s_s/74.htm

Used to buy from them all the time and they have always been good in terms of parts if I need it quicker. I used to work for a company repairing phones so I have seen the cheaper fake batteries before.
kkkat wrote: Hi,

I have a 6S that needs a new battery. Do you know if we can get a real OEM battery anywhere? Or any reputable place to get a replacement?

Found this website. They claim to sell genuine OEM batteries. Anyone used them before?

http://www.iphone6battery.net/iphone-6s-battery.html

Edit: After a bit more research, iphone6battery.net appears to be a scam site. They have many websites using the same phone number.
There doesn't seem to be anywhere you can buy a genuine apple battery except from apple store where they charge $100 for a battery and installation.
Will likely get one from either ifixit or etrades. They are clones but many have used them. And ifixit ships within US only.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1097 posts
1288 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Buy from these guys - https://www.idemigods.com/Apple_iPhone_ ... s_s/74.htm

Used to buy from them all the time and they have always been good in terms of parts if I need it quicker. I used to work for a company repairing phones so I have seen the cheaper fake batteries before.
I bought from these guys. While it works so far, it's not the greatest nor is it genuine.. The battery temperature for instance is busted (locked @ 27.1) and the battery health seems to always be stuck around 100% even after 70 charges (real apple batteries start dropping health even after like 10 charges) Also the charging is weird and only charges at 0.39 watts. Real apple batteries can charge up to 5W (usually ~3-4 watts) and then slows the charge once it reaches 80%. At 100, apple batteries cut off charge. Theses ones keep going even at 100 so you risk overcharging if you keep it in the charger.

All the batteries on amazon for instance are getting deleted too. Honestly, it's just better to go apple. Plus if you change your battery yourself, they'll never service your phone
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
& where do you get this info from? What are you using exactly to test it?

saudor wrote: I bought from these guys. While it works so far, it's not the greatest nor is it genuine.. The battery temperature for instance is busted (locked @ 27.1) and the battery health seems to always be stuck around 100% even after 70 charges (real apple batteries start dropping health even after like 10 charges) Also the charging is weird and only charges at 0.39 watts. Real apple batteries can charge up to 5W (usually ~3-4 watts) and then slows the charge once it reaches 80%. At 100, apple batteries cut off charge. Theses ones keep going even at 100 so you risk overcharging if you keep it in the charger.

All the batteries on amazon for instance are getting deleted too. Honestly, it's just better to go apple. Plus if you change your battery yourself, they'll never service your phone
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
LongLiveRFD wrote: Do they give you a different phone? or they actually replace it?

I suspect there's backlog since $30 is a huge discount.
They actually replace the battery. However, they may deny if your phone is jailbroken, i got denied once but that was a while.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote: They actually replace the battery. However, they may deny if your phone is jailbroken, i got denied once but that was a while.
Then it's a gift, that came after xmas.

Their COGS + labor is likely >$30

Further, once replaced, your performance is like new i.e. no cap. For resale, it should be value add.

What am I missing? why people are not queuing up outside Apple stores like it's Cheesecake factory right now?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
LongLiveRFD wrote: Then it's a gift, that came after xmas.

Their COGS + labor is likely >$30

Further, once replaced, your performance is like new i.e. no cap. For resale, it should be value add.

What am I missing? why people are not queuing up outside Apple stores like it's Cheesecake factory right now?
Yep, according to geekbench results, your performance should be like new.

Probably cause it's the holidays and people don't want to waste time replacing their phones as it takes some time to replace. I think 1-2 hours. You also have a whole year's time to replace your battery so no rush to get it done asap.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
Just got 2 batteries from idemigod, they don't feel as good as the original battery!
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
marc_t wrote: Just got 2 batteries from idemigod, they don't feel as good as the original battery!
Sorry to hear that. I was gonna order one from ifixit but never got to it. Then the news came.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2144 posts
1789 upvotes
Just did an online chat with an Apple advisor named Alice. Asked if I needed to make an appointment for a battery replacement. She gave a bunch of irrelevant info. After a good 20mins I got my answer. And failed to tell me how long a typical battery takes. Either it was a monkey or they are trying hard to dissuade people from doing a battery swap.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)