Food & Drink

Where do you buy your Sweet & Sour Bar Mix?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 6:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1320 posts
30 upvotes
Maple

Where do you buy your Sweet & Sour Bar Mix?

For those people who like mixed drinks, where do you get your sweet and sour bar mix?

I've asked at the liquor store, they said go to the grocery store. I've asked at the grocery store and they dont know. I've looked on their shelves and I couldnt find any.

Alternatively, do you make your own with lemon, lime, water and sugar?

Sweet and sour bar mix
aka:
sour mix
bar mix
lemon bar mix

Please help! My homemade amaretto sours dont taste very good!
22 replies
Dec 6, 2003
253 posts
25 upvotes
Leduc
look for a resturant supply grocery store, they carry all the bar mixes
I get the lime all the time
most are cash and carry
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1320 posts
30 upvotes
Maple
Thanks. Where do you go? (if you're in the GTA)
Aug 12, 2004
612 posts
1 upvote
GTA
I used to get my bar-lime mixes at The Real Canadian Wholesale.. that was last summer, so I'm not sure if they still stock it.

Good luck
"Their analysts, they don't know preferred stock from livestock, alright?"
Heatware (32)
Jun 15, 2005
192 posts
Toronto
I've been looking for this stuff FOREVER. I got the same story: the liquor store said go to the grocery store and all the grocery stores I went = :confused: . I'll take a look at RCSS this week, I really feel like making a long island iced tea!
Dec 6, 2003
253 posts
25 upvotes
Leduc
I looked in one of my books this is the recipe I have for it
3 C water
3/4 c bottle lime juice
1/2c white corn syrup
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c bottled lemon juice
1 drop of yellow food colouring (optional)
put water and sugar in sauce pan over med heat till sugar dissolves
remove from heat and add remaining ingredients mix well and store in a sealed bottle in the fridge (it doesn't say how long its good for)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
I don't know if this would work but I have seen lemon and lime flavour syrup for sale.
If you call the store www.morala.com they should stock it along with other fruit and coffee flavour syrups.

or else second cup sells the "italian" flavour syrups as do a lot of the european delis.
I have also seenRoses lime syrup for sale at AP, loblaws in the soda isle...I guess u can use that for alcohol drinks also.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1320 posts
30 upvotes
Maple
Steeve Urkel wrote:
Feb 17th, 2008 12:03 am
I don't know if this would work but I have seen lemon and lime flavour syrup for sale.
If you call the store www.morala.com they should stock it along with other fruit and coffee flavour syrups.

or else second cup sells the "italian" flavour syrups as do a lot of the european delis.
I have also seenRoses lime syrup for sale at AP, loblaws in the soda isle...I guess u can use that for alcohol drinks also.
Morala: I dont think its the same stuff. Have you used this in your drinks?

Roses lime syrup: Its not the same stuff.

I was at a bar the other night and I saw them get a big bag of powder to make it, I took mental note of what it said on the bag. It was this stuff.
http://www.lynchfoods.ca/cgi-bin/template4.cgi?481514
I dont think this place sells to individual people and I dont know where else to get it.
Dec 6, 2003
253 posts
25 upvotes
Leduc
was it in a very plain grey package? if it is thats what I get at the great canadian whole sale club
Sep 24, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
bar mixes are just powder that is mixed with water...i've been looking for it as well...i know wholesalers who sell them, but i haven't seen any at supermarkets, stores, etc.

will keep u posted if i see any tho.

edit: found a link....perhaps try it out...http://www.hendrixequip.com/listing.asp?catid=POWM
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1320 posts
30 upvotes
Maple
Here's what I just got at the Real Canadian Wholesale. Not the same as what I saw a bartender use.

Which one (Lime or Lemon) do I use if the recipe calls for just bar mix??

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! Who's up for a party!

Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1342 posts
2 upvotes
sterdeus wrote:
Feb 17th, 2008 1:52 pm
Here's what I just got at the Real Canadian Wholesale. Not the same as what I saw a bartender use.

Real Canadian Wholesale? is that costco or @ sam's??
PERSONAL FINANCE for Canadians FOR DUMMIES
EDUCATION is your best defense.

Got questions about your existing MORTGAGE INSURANCE?
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/in_denial/
Sep 24, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
sterdeus wrote:

i think it depends on the drink....but in reality..it's ur drink...so put in whatever u'd like! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3321 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond
I make my own using freshly squeezed limes, lemon, and syrup + water. The pre-made ones don't taste natural, and have an ugly artificial green color to it.

But I've seen the bottles at Safeway, and RCSS I think.
Dec 6, 2003
253 posts
25 upvotes
Leduc
sterdeus wrote:

I use the green one (is good in beer too, but dh thinks its a sin for me to put anything in beer lol)

I used to be able to get big bottles of the coconut cream of the same brand ,it was soooo good a bit of that, some fresh strawberries, some pineapple juice a bit of ameretto and some rum and ice in the blender yummy
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel