• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 3:22 pm
Dec 18, 2017
171 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 11:43 pm
Lately? China. Decent specs for pretty cheap.
GSI makes it even better.

Probably an old habit.
I still ask for unlocked phones because it's what I've been doing for 25 years.
Even though in the last what? 5? they've been unlocked (for sale in Canada at least) it's a hard habit to change.

It’s probably a good habit too.
I bought a brand new iPhone XR off someone via Criagslist in December 2018.

When we met at the Apple store to conduct the sale, I opened up the phone to test my SIM and was shocked to see that the phone was locked to Bell.

The guy was equally shocked as he had just picked up the phone from Costco downtown two says earlier (small business plan deal via bell), and was assuread by the rep that the phone was unlocked.

He called into Bell however, and was able to have the phone unlocked in seconds. The Bell rep apologized and told him it was locked purely for asset management purposes.

Apparently phones get swiped from warehouses quite frequently so they’re (especially the high value items) locked by default as a precaution.

I walked out of the store 10 minutes later with a fully unlocked iPhone (verified by Apple).

So yeah, it really doesn’t hurt to double check that your phone is unlocked before the purchase. Even if you’re buying a gray market phone, doesn’t hurt to ask and then confirm by popping in a couple of SIM cards before the purchase.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5046 posts
981 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ebay is now doing a 20% off select smartphones. ONLY TODAY
Dec 3, 2013
203 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jvnanu wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 9:08 am
Isn't it illegal to sell locked phones in Canada?
This is true, but there are still a lot of locked phones out there that might never get unlocked. As of Dec ‘17 carriers are meant to unlock phones for free, but this doesn’t mean they will always do it.
We still often have telcos reject unlock requests. Usually because the phone is linked to a company account.
As the co-founder of a business dedicated to making it easy to buy and sell used iPhones, I have fairly extensive experience navigating Craigslist/Kijiji for used iPhones, and also troubleshooting said iPhones.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5198 posts
1580 upvotes
Alberta
Anywhere but kijiji. Too many scammers on there.