Shopping Discussion

Where does Valu mart grocery store compare with discount brands like nofrills and food basics?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2018 8:10 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 26, 2017
159 posts
25 upvotes

Where does Valu mart grocery store compare with discount brands like nofrills and food basics?

is valu mart beside grocers like food basics?
or is it closer to metro price wise??

what do u guys say? more inexpensive than foodbasics and nofrills or same?
10 replies
May 21, 2015
726 posts
340 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
The Valu Mart in Sarnia is the most expensive grocer in town.. they need to tack a big No in front of their name.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8301 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto
I've found them to be more expensive than No Frills and Food Basics.
Less selection too but really a smaller Loblaws or closer to small 'no frills' RCSS.
They are normally situated in areas not already served by the budget stores so seems more of a convenience option.
And well, we know what Convenience Store prices are like.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14662 posts
2735 upvotes
Toronto
Valumart at Woodbine subway station in Toronto, Ontario used to be Mr. Grocer many years ago.
Currently, that store is a major rip off.
They may as well be a Loblaws, but I guess the square footage prevented the Loblaws name, and, since they chose not to be a No frills, Valu mart is the name they went with.
Mostly an over sized convenience store with some flyer specials to make it seem good...but rarely great.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2232 posts
951 upvotes
B.C.
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:50 am
Valumart at Woodbine subway station in Toronto, Ontario used to be Mr. Grocer many years ago.
Currently, that store is a major rip off.
They may as well be a Loblaws, but I guess the square footage prevented the Loblaws name, and, since they chose not to be a No frills, Valu mart is the name they went with.
Mostly an over sized convenience store with some flyer specials to make it seem good...but rarely great.
Don't they have a butcher counter and deli and other stuff that No Frills wouldn't be able to have?

Or do they have those things at No Frills now? I haven't been near one in ages!
Aug 26, 2017
65 posts
24 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 9:35 pm
Don't they have a butcher counter and deli and other stuff that No Frills wouldn't be able to have?

Some (very few) No Frills has a butcher counter.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14662 posts
2735 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 9:35 pm

I see that you are in B.C.
I'm not sure how things are out there, but here in Toronto, the No Frills location (one location that I am aware of) at Dufferin mall in Toronto, Ontario rents out space to an actual butcher, while (if you can believe this) competing with them head on with their own butcher.
However, most often the meat on the No Frills shelves are pre packaged.
When there is a sale at a set price the No frills butcher is almost useless. (except for restocking the shelf)
When it's priced by weight, you can choose which butcher you want.
The No frills butcher is harder to track down though, while the other butcher is right there.
They will NOT price match a No frills sale at the private butcher's booth, but they do do their own specials. (no flyer. Luck of the day deals)
It seems odd to allow two butchers to compete for business, but on the bright side, at least there is no price fixing going on with the meat, unlike the bread... :twisted:
(No frills is owned by Loblaws)
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2232 posts
951 upvotes
B.C.
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 12:34 am
I see that you are in B.C.
I'm not sure how things are out there, but here in Toronto, the No Frills location (one location that I am aware of) at Dufferin mall in Toronto, Ontario rents out space to an actual butcher, while (if you can believe this) competing with them head on with their own butcher.
However, most often the meat on the No Frills shelves are pre packaged.
When there is a sale at a set price the No frills butcher is almost useless. (except for restocking the shelf)
When it's priced by weight, you can choose which butcher you want.
The No frills butcher is harder to track down though, while the other butcher is right there.
They will NOT price match a No frills sale at the private butcher's booth, but they do do their own specials. (no flyer. Luck of the day deals)
It seems odd to allow two butchers to compete for business, but on the bright side, at least there is no price fixing going on with the meat, unlike the bread... :twisted:
(No frills is owned by Loblaws)
That is super strange! But I knew that if I said No Frills doesn't have a butcher counter somebody will correct me - even if 98% of them don't.

It's nice being out here - Loblaws is the major underdog in the market and their stores are actually clean and stocked and you can even find an employee!
Oct 14, 2017
873 posts
645 upvotes
GTA
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 1:19 am
It's nice being out here - Loblaws is the major underdog in the market and their stores are actually clean and stocked and you can even find an employee!
Loblaws is like that here in the western GTA too - relatively few stores, but clean, bright, well-stocked and -staffed. Prices are generally high of course, so I basically only shop there for competitively-priced specials. That's not particularly often, but enough for me to be aware that the shopping environment is very different from those in the discount chains like No Frills and Freshco where I usually shop.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2232 posts
951 upvotes
B.C.
Jonric wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 10:15 am
Loblaws is like that here in the western GTA too - relatively few stores, but clean, bright, well-stocked and -staffed. Prices are generally high of course, so I basically only shop there for competitively-priced specials. That's not particularly often, but enough for me to be aware that the shopping environment is very different from those in the discount chains like No Frills and Freshco where I usually shop.
I should have specified - I was referring to the entire company not specifically Loblaws grocery stores. We don't have loblaws here, I think there are some Loblaws city Markets in the GVR though. It's just No Frills (which is sadly nowhere near me), Real Canadian Superstore (Only one in Town), and Wholesale Club (again, one in town). They've been doing the "all checkouts open on weekends" thing for years before it was a thing back in Ontario.

The Loblaws stores in Ottawa were mostly shit. Always out of stock, dirty, no carts, no staff, and never any price labels on anything.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1641 posts
1134 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Valu-Mart isn't a discount banner, Loblaws treats it like one of their more expensive banners like Loblaws, Zehrs, etc. Most Valu-Marts are found in rural communities (like my town) with it's major competitor being Foodland. Valu-Mart stores are usually more expensive than discount banners like No Frills and at times more expensive than "premium" banners like Metro. Also, since Valu-Mart isn't a discount banner they have the in store features of a traditional supermarket, including a bakery and deli.
I like credit unions.
Member with DUCA Credit Union. Accounts with Tangerine, BMO, and EQ Bank.