• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2019 9:50 am
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver

Where to donate dog’s medication

My lovely friend just went to meet his parents. He left over some heart, liver, lung and seizures medication. Just wonder where can I donate it in Vancouver. I prefer to give it to someone who needs it, rather than recycle it. I brought them from his Vet, so Org. can check the prescription record.
Just checked with SPCA, they don’t take it.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about Vancouver, but in Toronto vets, rescues, the SPCA etc. won't take leftover meds any longer. Your only choice would be to an acquaintance whose dog required the exact same dosage of the particular med and had been prescribed same by a vet.

I was at the vet's and someone had leftover open food from a pet that had been euthanized and the office manager thought that there was one place you could drop it off on the other side of the city. We will very soon be in the same position and will ask our vet to dispose of our dog's medication in a safe way - and there is a dog up the street who absolutely adores our dog's food so that one will be easy.

There have been many changes to the laws that vets must follow.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
If it is in a blister pack, like Fortekor, your vet may make an exception ... but most likely, for legal reasons, it will only be sent for disposal.

If you can find a very small rescue organization, they may take it.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks both for the information. That is what I thought too. But his medication is quite expensive, if I just dispose it, it is kind of waste. I really want to donate it especially to the ones with homeless ppl. Will try to call around.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Karala, I also was told that meds in blister packs such as Spectra could be returned, but on checking again with a vet was told that they must dispose of them. We are only buying one at a time due to the age of our pet since pet insurance doesn't cover tick/heartworm meds and we don't want to be left with several when the worst happens. Vets will not reimburse the cost (why should they?) but will take them back for responsible disposal.

The rest of our pet's meds are dispensed in tablet or syringe form and they will definitely have to be disposed of.

tofubb, yes pet meds are very expensive - we have quite the medicine cabinet. Good luck in finding a small rescue who will take them - but I expect that your friend's vet will want all identifying info removed from the bottles re liability. Even the pharmacy for human meds asks that this be done - although in this case it is for identity theft purposes.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
After asking around, found a local recrue will take his medicine. Thanks for your advice, will remove all labels before sending. At least it makes me feel better.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear about your pooch.
Condolences.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
tofubb - Good for you in finding a rescue who would take the meds - and for removing the labels. I certainly dread the day that we will find ourselves in the same position as your friend and it will happen sooner rather than later.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2009
1566 posts
1372 upvotes
Vancouver
Blanche123 - hope your loved one will not be in any pain at that moment.
We gave his meds to a rescue and his foods to a homeless person. Hope others can share his love.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
tofubb - Thank you for your kind words - and another med is about to be added to this mix! At least I know one person who can use one of his meds when the time comes and a person whose dog LOVES our dog's food.