Where to dump (recycle) paper,magazines,books in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2015 5:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 28, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote

Where to dump (recycle) paper,magazines,books in Toronto

My whole basement is full of old magazines and paper, there must be a ton. i need to get rid of it all, but being in toronto, i can put out that much on garbage day. i know i can take it all to the dump and pay. but i also heard there are places that you can recycle paper and might give you some cash. i know it wont be much, if anything, i just dont want to pay if i can dump it for free.

the problem is i cant find a place, i called a few places, but they said they were not interested, i guess they only deal with large quantities.

Anyone know a place?
15 replies
Nov 11, 2009
173 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
There's a place that gives u money at Midland and Progress (Scarborough). It's a factory adjacent to the south-west corner of midland and progress. If you are heading east on Progress, make a right at the lights before midland. My mom used to drop of papers there and get a bit of money. I think you have to go and let them weigh your car empty, and then you come back witht he papers and the weigh it again. They minus the difference and pay you the money. I think that's how it works.

I don't have the number or anything, I only know where it is.

Good luck!
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
7 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
No need to make two trips. They would weight the vehicle full, then you empty it , then they weight it a second time.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3858 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto
euroz24 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2010 7:32 pm
i know i can take it all to the dump and pay... i just dont want to pay if i can dump it for free.
If the places that pay you don't pay enough to make it worth your while, etc. then you can fill up your your blue bin with this extra paper, magazines, etc. over a few blue bin collections until it's gone. I don't know where you got the idea you have to put it as garbage.

Also, you can dump it at a city transfer station for free. Any individual is allowed 20kg of blue bin material PER DAY for free.

See here:

http://www.toronto.ca/garbage/pdf/trans ... ackage.pdf

You should call or email 311 to confirm.

Lastly, if you have somewhat interesting magazines, post it up on Kijiji and Craigslist and you might have some takers for free or for money. There are people who collect long runs of magazines and may need to fill in gaps, etc. and may take the whole bunch off your hands just to get a few certain issues. These apply mostly to the good quality, timeless stuff like National Geographic and less so for the cheap stuff like Maclean's and Tiger Beat. :)
Banned
Jan 4, 2010
1584 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting, how (little) money do they give you? Will it even cover gas and your time?
enon
Nov 11, 2009
173 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
enon wrote:
Mar 5th, 2010 12:18 am
Interesting, how (little) money do they give you? Will it even cover gas and your time?
I have no idea. If you have as much as you said, maybe $100 or more?
Aug 20, 2013
1 posts
ceely wrote:
Mar 5th, 2010 8:10 pm
I have no idea. If you have as much as you said, maybe $100 or more?
Hey I have a bunch of paper and books too, and was wondering if you ended up taking yours to this recycling place where they pay! Please let me know if it worked for you and how much you got per pound for it!

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3559 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Books, you can donate it to goodwill.
Aug 15, 2005
62 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
I believe this place ceely is referring to is Atlantic Packaging Products Inc.

111 Progress Avenue
Scarborough, ON M1P 2Y9
Tel: 416.298.8101

Or you can take it to your nearest municipal recycling depot. If I knew about this place before, I would have gone Atlantic first to get some money for my recyclables.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1545 posts
260 upvotes
The local GO stations in Burlington have dedicated drop off bins, this may be a thing at all of the stations. They are yellow and green and the size of a dumpster, not the regular garbage units.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14312 posts
4181 upvotes
Here 'n There
U of T accepts books for their annual book sale.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16451 posts
1512 upvotes
Thornhill
My local Markham recycle depot collects books. All the other stuff goes into the recycle bin right beside it :)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4895 posts
316 upvotes
You can dump it at a transfer station for free. Closest one to me was Victoria Park and Mcnicoll. You pull up, they weigh your car, you pay a $20 deposit. Then you drive into the building, someone tells you where to unload your recycling. You drive back out, they weigh your car again and if you're not over the limit they give you back $20.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
729 upvotes
You can put out as much as you want on recycling day....you are not limited by the size of the blue bin...just buy blue or clear bags and put out more.

We constantly have two or more additional recycling bags.

Do you have the largest blue bin as well? No additional cost.