• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 1:07 pm
Tags:
Jan 24, 2015
485 posts
462 upvotes

Where to eat Under $5 - Vancouver

Hi,

Lets get a post started where you can get a good lunch / snack for under $5 in Burnaby / New West / Vancouver. Other than pizza, lets hear where you eat under $5!

Name of Store:
Price:
Rating:

Lets see what RedFlagDeal Members can come up with!
Last edited by DoubleJ5 on Jul 9th, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
I once volunteer at this youth center... and they offered hot meals for $4. Legit stuff!!! Like chicken and potatoes with steamed veggies... $4!
One time they had mac and cheese with hot dogs for $3.
There was also this ox tail stew and rice day . O_O Tasted amazing. That one as $4... No meals over $4 because of the clientele. You can drop in no questions asked for a hot meal. Served everyday at 12pm.

No it wasn't all bummy like a homeless shelter... Very clean and organized place with respectful people. Just teens and young adults down on their luck.
Jan 24, 2015
485 posts
462 upvotes
Where is this? Please follow the format above. Only looking for Metro Vancouver deals.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3379 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I once volunteer at this youth center... and they offered hot meals for $4. Legit stuff!!! Like chicken and potatoes with steamed veggies... $4!
There was also this ox tail stew and rice day . O_O Tasted amazing. That one as $4... No meals over $4 because of the clientele. You can drop in no questions asked for a hot meal. Served everyday at 12pm.

No it wasn't all bummy like a homeless shelter... Very clean and organized place with respectful people. Just teens and young adults down on their luck.
how safe and clean is the food when it's staffed by volunteers in a homeless shelter?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19733 posts
28612 upvotes
Vancouver
Carnegie Centre. at Main and Hastings. The cafeteria upstairs has hot, healthy meals for only a few dollars. I used to eat there once or twice a month.

They have recently posted signs reminding patrons that their meals are subsidized and are intended to serve the area's low income residents, and that increasing popularity has resulted in them running out of food and unable to serve the intended population. They won't turn anybody away, but they remind patrons to consider that every subsidized meal purchased by someone who can afford to eat elsewhere is one less meal available to someone who may not. So I've stopped going.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
Im in Toronto but Chinese bakery's are usually real cheap, $1 for a bun (the baked ones), and usually $1 for an egg tart and $1 for a chicken pie (single serving size)

I guess for $4 + tax (under $5) you could get 2 buns, 1 egg tart and 1 chicken pie...or just get 4 buns which is what I usually do....and then a couple egg tarts too cause in Toronto theres no tax if you buy 6 items. Thats not a law by the way...just every single Chinese bakery does it
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: They were actually really strict with kitchen rules. Its actually paid staff who run the kitchen and volunteers help
I know the Ontario ones are funded by the government and donations.(at least I believe the government gives them money) Is the BC ones the same?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3379 upvotes
2 mcdoubles or jr mcchicken plus dollar drink would be under $5.
Jan 24, 2015
485 posts
462 upvotes
People I am not looking for subsidized meal plans. I am looking for recommendations for regular people. Please follow the format outlined in my original post.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1104 posts
372 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I once volunteer at this youth center... and they offered hot meals for $4. Legit stuff!!! Like chicken and potatoes with steamed veggies... $4!

Dont think this is kosher even by RFD frugality standards.

Shouldnt be exploiting resources meant for people in need b/c you ar looking for a cheap meal
Jan 24, 2015
485 posts
462 upvotes
superizzy wrote: Dont think this is kosher even by RFD frugality standards.

Shouldnt be exploiting resources meant for people in need b/c you ar looking for a cheap meal
Exactly. I never said I wanted soup kitchen meals. I am just looking to build a list of specials / happy hour / deals that businesses offer meals for $5 and under.
Sep 24, 2010
42 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
toronto19850 wrote: I guess for $4 + tax (under $5) you could get 2 buns, 1 egg tart and 1 chicken pie...or just get 4 buns which is what I usually do....and then a couple egg tarts too cause in Toronto theres no tax if you buy 6 items. Thats not a law by the way...just every single Chinese bakery does it
Well actually it is the law. The federal tax authorities don't apply GST to baked goods (such as buns, individual servings of cakes, pies, donuts, etc..) if sold in quantities of six or more, and most provinces (including Ontario) follow the same rules when applying PST/HST.

With the amount of donuts that Toronto19850 eats, I'm surprised he doesn't know that it not just "chinese bakery" that doesn't tax six or more baked goods. But I guess he is posts a lot of incorrect information.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6232 posts
4831 upvotes
Us Toronto RFD'ers can't help ourselves. We just can't stop believing that Toronto is the centre of the universe! LOL
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
janus381 wrote: Well actually it is the law. The federal tax authorities don't apply GST to baked goods (such as buns, individual servings of cakes, pies, donuts, etc..) if sold in quantities of six or more, and most provinces (including Ontario) follow the same rules when applying PST/HST.

With the amount of donuts that Toronto19850 eats, I'm surprised he doesn't know that it not just "chinese bakery" that doesn't tax six or more baked goods. But I guess he is posts a lot of incorrect information.
I actually had no clue of this, I never look at my receipt or the bill

so far you've been wrong as its HST not GST, so please cite the law, link, etc
EDIT:
Found it, doesn't apply to many Chinese bakery's since they're baked goods are individually packaged. So it is not done because of the law. Definitely a Chinese thing.
Last edited by toronto19850 on Jul 10th, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
It's $4.95 pre-tax so I don't know if it counts, but the Warehouse on Hastings has a menu that's $4.95 anything:
Name of Store: Hastings Warehouse
Dish: All of them
Price: $4.95
Rating: ***

It's bar food, but I like the Pierogies. On Tuesday they have $1 tacos.
That's my name...
Jan 24, 2015
485 posts
462 upvotes
PuddinTame wrote: It's $4.95 pre-tax so I don't know if it counts, but the Warehouse on Hastings has a menu that's $4.95 anything:

Great post and thanks for following the outline! Yes, its ok if tax is not included! Bar specials are totally fine with me, but the only problem with bar food is that they usually require you to buy a drink. Even a coke would be around $3. But hey everyone needs to make a dollar!
Jun 18, 2017
218 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
DoubleJ5 wrote: Great post and thanks for following the outline! Yes, its ok if tax is not included! Bar specials are totally fine with me, but the only problem with bar food is that they usually require you to buy a drink. Even a coke would be around $3. But hey everyone needs to make a dollar!
Yeah, no drink required for the Warehouse.

However that is not true of the nearby Pint Pub
Name of Store: The Pint Public House
Dish: Various depending on day, Wednesday 1lb wings
Price: $4.00

Requires a drink, as do their 10 cent pierogies (Thurs), and their half price hot dog (Mon) and half price Ramen (Tues)
That's my name...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Not necessary Vancouver, but you can go to McDonald and get Coffee & Muffin for $1.99 then add a Junior Chicken Sandwich for $1.39

Should be well under $5 with tax.
You get a drink, a muffin and a small sandwich. Should temporary fill you up.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
PuddinTame wrote: It's $4.95 pre-tax so I don't know if it counts, but the Warehouse on Hastings has a menu that's $4.95 anything:

Never heard of this place. Is it new? I would pay more just to get the hell away from that neighbourhood.