• Oct 18th, 2016 11:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
387 posts
98 upvotes
Calgary

Where to find cheap LED's in Alberta?

Almost weekly I see promo's coming by for LED's in ON, but barely any other province.

I tried 300k (too cold) and 800 lumens (shades anyone?) and came to the conclusion I want 2700k, ~400 lumens A19 bulbs, dimmable.

But where to get them? Amazon.com is full of 40 packs for a decent price, but nowhere in Canada I can't seem to find any decent prices, simply not paying 10$ a pop, I need 40 of them to do the house, it would be cheaper to get 3$ ones from dollarama.

Anyone suggestions?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5032 posts
709 upvotes
Costco carries A19 3000k 800 lumen bulbs for $3 each, in a 3-pack for $9. 800 lumens is the standard for a 60w equivalent. 400 lumen is around 30-40w equivalent, for that you'll need to look at Ikea. Even then, the dimmest dimmable E26 bulb they carry is 600 lumens.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60306979/

The Ryet bulb is right up your alley but it's non-dimmable but only $4 for a 2 pack.

Ledare = dimmable, Ryet = non-dimmable.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
387 posts
98 upvotes
Calgary
I did buy that Costco pack, but when I took my 60W bulbs out they said 450 lumens, so when I replaced 9 kitchen lights with the Costco 800 lumens ones I couldn't even dim them far enough, the lowest setting was still way too bright.

I actually went to HD, Rona and Lowes yesterday and found nothing. The cheap ones are all non-dimmable and the more expensive ones all 3000k or 60W.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13436 posts
3340 upvotes
Toronto
Roger21 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 5:00 pm
I did buy that Costco pack, but when I took my 60W bulbs out they said 450 lumens, so when I replaced 9 kitchen lights with the Costco 800 lumens ones I couldn't even dim them far enough, the lowest setting was still way too bright.

I actually went to HD, Rona and Lowes yesterday and found nothing. The cheap ones are all non-dimmable and the more expensive ones all 3000k or 60W.
Too bright, we are very different people, i put two 1600 lumen bulbs in a room and want more, if this were CSA approved almost all my rooms would have them Winking Face
You want 40W equivalent, they go on sale i'm sure, and you can look at clearance sales from the big box stores, LEDs are upgraded occasionally and the old ones sold cheap, check websites weekly
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5032 posts
709 upvotes
Roger21 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2016 5:00 pm

If you need it that dark, then the 600 lumen ledare should work for you. I have one in the nursery summer using a Lutron Caseta. At it's lowest possible setting, it's maybe 5-10 lumens and around 1800-2000k. It has an odd colour at the lowest settings. We have a preset at 50% and it's quite dim and really odd colour.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.