Careers

Where to find Entry level IT jobs? (Technical Support, Help desk, computer repair..)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2016 1:00 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto

Where to find Entry level IT jobs? (Technical Support, Help desk, computer repair..)

Its getting hard to find a job in these entry level roles, please help me find an agency or tell me where should I look.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
LinkedIn, Indeed, eluta, special interest groups. Look for companies you want to work for and create a job alert.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What background do you have to get those 'entry' level jobs?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Finding an entry-level IT job is bottle neck competition, as most employment adviser will say 1 job posting looking to hire 1 employee attract at least 500 resumes. You have to do networking or know someone working in that field. As your location is Toronto it will be much harder if you can relocate it will be better to go Saskatoon, NB, or Alberta where the competition is not that big as in Toronto.
Dec 27, 2007
344 posts
165 upvotes
Indeed, Monster, LinkedIn... there's no shortage of small companies willing to pay you a $30k salary for service desk or tech support.

I've personally found that there's more of these jobs than qualified people to work them. The wages are pretty brutal for entry-level IT; your more experienced peers will lose more money in taxes than you take home.

If you can, I'd pursue other angles with a useful skill (eg. programming, networking, niche technology).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
6228 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: What background do you have to get those 'entry' level jobs?
Computer Networking Technical Diploma
Sep 27, 2003
941 posts
336 upvotes
Earth
The best place to start would be Geek Squad at Best Buy. You are not going to get rich but you are there for the experience.

Just apply online at bestbuy.ca
Mar 15, 2014
120 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
cgtlky wrote: Finding an entry-level IT job is bottle neck competition, as most employment adviser will say 1 job posting looking to hire 1 employee attract at least 500 resumes. You have to do networking or know someone working in that field. As your location is Toronto it will be much harder if you can relocate it will be better to go Saskatoon, NB, or Alberta where the competition is not that big as in Toronto.
This is very true..I had to hire some entry level IT people at my previous company in TO and we would receive ~100 resumes a day from a single posting on indeed.