Request-A-Deal

Where to find PUR water filter pitcher and products in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2014 7:48 pm
Sep 26, 2006
50 posts
2 upvotes

Where to find PUR water filter pitcher and products in Canada?

I have been doing some research on the types of water filter pitchers and a lot of reviews and even consumer report suggest using PUR from P&G. It wins hands-down against Brita which is widely available in almost any store.

Does anyone know where I can find the PUR water filter pitchers or related products from PUR in the GTA?

Thanks!
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7023 posts
662 upvotes
GTA
Check Canadian Tire. I bought the PUR attachment that goes right on your faucet to filter water from there. I'm not sure if they carry the pitchers too, but take a look on line to check and get an idea of whether they have any.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2006
50 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks SillySims, I checked a couple of Canadian Tires but they only carried the replacement filter for the faucet that you bought and nothing else. I ended up ordering from Home Hardware. It is amazing to see how Brita manages to sort of monopolize this business even though reviews and consumer reports don't rank them high at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7023 posts
662 upvotes
GTA
That's great! Glad you were able to find it somewhere.
Apr 13, 2007
62 posts
3 upvotes
Can you buy Pur Water Filters in Canada?

From what i can tell Britta has a monopoly. What's the deal?

Pur removes medication from water whereas Brita doesn't.
Sep 29, 2007
184 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
I'm trying to find out the same thing...does anyone know which stores carry the actual pitchers or faucet mount devices (3 stage ones)? Checked on the Canadian Tire website, don't think they carry them (aside from the replacement filters)

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 26, 2006
50 posts
2 upvotes
Char|otte wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 4:08 am
I'm trying to find out the same thing...does anyone know which stores carry the actual pitchers or faucet mount devices (3 stage ones)? Checked on the Canadian Tire website, don't think they carry them (aside from the replacement filters)

Thanks!
Hi Char|otte, I was finally able to order the faucet mount from my local Home Hardware store. I find the replacement filters easily available at any Canadian Tire store.
Apr 11, 2009
18 posts
Montreal
After a year, is there still no retailer or supplier in Canada able to sell PUR Water Dispensers and Filters and decent prices?
You can order them from Amazon.com but double the price you see due to shipping and duties.
Jan 29, 2012
1 posts
knightdaemon wrote:
Dec 30th, 2011 9:51 am
After a year, is there still no retailer or supplier in Canada able to sell PUR Water Dispensers and Filters and decent prices?
You can order them from Amazon.com but double the price you see due to shipping and duties.

Home Depot has always carried all PUR products in Canada.
Apr 11, 2009
18 posts
Montreal
neoplop wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 9:53 pm
Home Depot has always carried all PUR products in Canada.
In all provinces?
Feb 5, 2013
1 posts
Home Depot doesn't carry PUR Products. Home Hardware does though (or did). The store in West Edmonton closed, so now we have to go out of town to find a store.
This must the advantage of living in a larger city.
The PUR always had good reviews. I have been using them for years. As mentioned in this thread, their performance (and water taste) seem far superior to Brita.
It has always puzzled me how Brita has managed to monopolize the market as I did buy one of their products and don't care for it.
PUR online through J&J ( I think) was quite responsive when I emailed them.
Dec 16, 2006
380 posts
31 upvotes
Nice to know Pur is better than Brita. Following is earched by Google,FYI:
The main function of any water filter is to remove additives or potential contaminants from the water that flows directly out of the faucet. Pur has the upper hand over Brita when it comes to the effectiveness of getting rid of the most chemicals and sediments. The Pur filter boasts a 98 to 99 percent ability to filter out lead, where Brita comes in at a rate of 94 percent. Pur reduces chlorine by about 95 percent, over Brita's 91 percent. Additionally, Pur reduces copper, methyl tertiary-butyl ether, and 2-4D among its touted 21 contaminant reduction agents. Brita is only targeted to chlorine, lead, mercury, and benzene.

One of the major downfalls of a Brita filter compared to a Pur water filter, is that only Pur is certified to remove cryptosporidium and giardia from water. This is true whether the filter used is one that is directly attached to the tap or a filtered pitcher. Cryptosporidium and giardia are both considered cysts that pollute water and, when ingested, can make you very sick. Giardia in particular is a stomach ailment that is similar to that of the flu, causing nausea, diarrhea and overall fatigue.

One point on which Brita comes out the clear winner is in the speed its filters work. Because Pur has a more complex mechanism comprising its filtration, it has a slower rate of flow than that of the Brita filters. Whether the water is being dripped from a filtering pitcher or streaming from the tap, the water spends more time running through the filter, which not only makes wait time for a drink longer, but also causes more strain on each filter. This leads to replacing the Pur filters more often than those of the Brita brands. So Brita, with a more instant satisfaction, doesn't cost as much annually in replacement filters.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5588394_pur-vs_-brita.html
× < >