None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1262 posts
362 upvotes
Ontario

Where to find Wild Grapes?

My wife has decided that she wants to make wild grape jelly (jam?) again. She found some in eastern Ontario around Morrisburg years ago and on Manitoulin Island near Sheguindah, but the later is on private property.

Would anybody care to share any wild grape locations in Ontario?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5002 posts
528 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I saw some in East Point Park, Scarboro. They grow all over Ontario, often at the edge of a wooded area.You could check hydro corridors or abandoned railroad tracks, too.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8636 posts
603 upvotes
GTA
We have some growing on our property. I was wondering if there was potential for it to be "poisonous" at all but I think they started as a result of seeds from wine making. I tasted one and they are very sour, doesn't take at all like the original grapes. Do you have a good recipe for Wild Grape Jelly? Will give it a go with what is on the vine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1262 posts
362 upvotes
Ontario
We've had a good solid frost last night and now is the time to harvest them. Thanks for the tips. While I can spot a landscape that has blueberries from a distance I'll just have to poke around and hope for a find. Weather will be nice this weekend for it.

YLSF wrote:
Sep 15th, 2011 11:06 am
We have some growing on our property. I was wondering if there was potential for it to be "poisonous" at all but I think they started as a result of seeds from wine making. I tasted one and they are very sour, doesn't take at all like the original grapes. Do you have a good recipe for Wild Grape Jelly? Will give it a go with what is on the vine.

You have to boil the grapes and them strain them overnight with a thin sack/cheesecloth. She uses the recipe from the side of and old Certo box.

Stem and thoroughly crush three quarts of ripe grapes. (has to be picked right after the first frost). Add half a cup of water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Extract juices as above.
You need four cups of prepared fruit juice, one pouch of liquid certo, seven cups of sugar, makes six and a half cups of jelly prepared like any other jelly as on the certo package. (It has been a long time since I made wild grape jelly so try this recipe ---it used to be in the certo box, but now I see they don't list it and it's for grape (concord) jelly. You may need to experiment with the amount of water you add when boiling the grapes as wild grapes are definitely more sour than concord, but the wild grape jelly should have a stronger flavour anyway than concord grapes)
× < >